The Student Room Group

Midwifery applicants for 2016 - 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I am applying this year for midwifery 2016
Reply 21
I'm applying for midwifery in 2016! The universities I'm currently considering are;

Bournemouth University
Cardiff University
Edge Hill University
Keele University
University of Nottingham
University of Surrey
University of Worcester
University of York

Is anyone hoping to apply to any of these? I'm currently studying AS levels in Biology, History, Philosophy, Psychology and the Welsh Baccalaureate. My predicted grades are AAABB.
Hiya Everyone,
I'm applying for Midwifery in 2016! I already have a first degree in Early Childhood Studies and Education which I'm currently still finishing. I'm predicted a 1st/2:1 so I am applying for PG Dip Midwifery 2016, so Postgraduate Midwifery.

The universities that offer this are:

1. Bournemouth University - Bournemouth/Portsmouth Campus (you can choose either location)
2. Kingston University
3. Oxford Brookes
4. Southampton University
Original post by Alexa17
I'm applying for midwifery in 2016! The universities I'm currently considering are;

Bournemouth University
Cardiff University
Edge Hill University
Keele University
University of Nottingham
University of Surrey
University of Worcester
University of York

Is anyone hoping to apply to any of these? I'm currently studying AS levels in Biology, History, Philosophy, Psychology and the Welsh Baccalaureate. My predicted grades are AAABB.

Bournemouth University looks really good!
I am going to apply to Anglia Ruskin and UEA for the 2016 entry Midwifery course! I am going to do a 60 credit Open University course starting in October to bump up my (280) UCAS points. Currently working as a designer and want to follow my dream to be a birthworker/midwife. I am also a qualified Yoga Teacher and am very excited to bring my yogic knowledge into my future career as a midwife.
I'm really scared and really excited!
Hi everyone, I'm starting an access to health course at college in September with a view to getting into uni sept 2016 at stafford or wolverhampton. I have a group meeting at my local hospital next Wednesday for volunteering. I've wanted to be a midwife for years and feel now that the time is right :smile: I have 8 children so going to be a challenge but I'm confident I will manage.
Reply 26
I am also applying to do Midwifery for 2016 but I am currently looking for work experience. any ideas????
Reply 27
Original post by princessmols
Hi everyone, I'm starting an access to health course at college in September with a view to getting into uni sept 2016 at stafford or wolverhampton. I have a group meeting at my local hospital next Wednesday for volunteering. I've wanted to be a midwife for years and feel now that the time is right :smile: I have 8 children so going to be a challenge but I'm confident I will manage.

Hello,

I am from a different area as i am in Kent but iwas wondering are you going to be volunteering on the maternity wards and how did you go about getting into this.

Reply 28
Hello,

I am currently doing an access course and will be applying to Canterbury Christchurch the medway campus for September 2016. Has anyone got any ideas for work experience i am trying like mad to get to sit in on antenatal classes and have also applied to train as a breastfeeding support worker but just need as much as possible to support my application.
Reply 29
Original post by Roch5765
Hello,

I am currently doing an access course and will be applying to Canterbury Christchurch the medway campus for September 2016. Has anyone got any ideas for work experience i am trying like mad to get to sit in on antenatal classes and have also applied to train as a breastfeeding support worker but just need as much as possible to support my application.

Definitely check out your local NCT! And SureStart centres can be great too. When I went to the Canterbury Christ Church University open day, they said read up on NHS reports too.:smile:
Hi,I just went on the local hospital website and looked under volunteering, sent an email and they replied saying to go to a group meeting next wednesday to discuss what department id prefer etc then after that ive got to go on an induction/training day in july so it takes about 4/5 months to start any volunteering as they need to also do dbs checks and get references etc but will be well worth it. It seems this is easier than asking for work experience as they expect you to commit for at least 6 months but the minimum hours they say you can volunteer is anything over 2 hours per week so this is great, once your in you can say how many hours and the time of day etc you need :smile:
I am looking to apply for Midwifery either 2016 or 2017! I already have a 1st class degree in Forensic Science but fancy a completely different change of career.
For experience I am applying to volunteer at a local NHS hospital (requesting a maternity ward) and am also hoping to start volunteering as a healthcare assistant for Douglas Macmillan Hospice.

I have attended an aspiring midwife workshop run by independent midwives and would recommend these as it was fun, friendly and informative. They gave info on some midwifery work, personal statements, work experience, what it's like being a student, the role of the midwife... Message me if you would like contacts :smile:
Hi all,
I'll be applying this year for September 2016. I'm currently studying Religious Studies, English Literature, Biology, Chemistry and the welsh bacc, I'm predicted ABBB.

I currently work as a maternity buddy on my local ante/post natal ward every weekend. I recently attended a RCM IDM conference and found it really useful and interesting. I'll be doing a weeks work experience on the women's health unit next month. I'm going to Arizona for 3 weeks in July in order to do midwifery work experience and am going to Thailand for a 2 week midwifery placement next summer.

I will be applying to:
Cardiff
Keele
Oxford Brookes
Anglia Ruskin
South Wales

Fingers crossed everything goes to plan and I get in to do my dream job :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by Kieraeirian
Hi all,
I'll be applying this year for September 2016. I'm currently studying Religious Studies, English Literature, Biology, Chemistry and the welsh bacc, I'm predicted ABBB.

I currently work as a maternity buddy on my local ante/post natal ward every weekend. I recently attended a RCM IDM conference and found it really useful and interesting. I'll be doing a weeks work experience on the women's health unit next month. I'm going to Arizona for 3 weeks in July in order to do midwifery work experience and am going to Thailand for a 2 week midwifery placement next summer.

I will be applying to:
Cardiff
Keele
Oxford Brookes
Anglia Ruskin
South Wales

Hello!

I'm in Wales too and looking for work experience. Unfortunately I can't afford to go abroad to get it, so at the moment I've been limited to things such as NCT. May I ask how you got into the maternity buddy and women's health unit work experience and which hospital trust this is with? :colondollar:
Original post by Alexa17
Hello!

I'm in Wales too and looking for work experience. Unfortunately I can't afford to go abroad to get it, so at the moment I've been limited to things such as NCT. May I ask how you got into the maternity buddy and women's health unit work experience and which hospital trust this is with? :colondollar:

I applied to work as a volunteer on the stroke ward and mentioned that I want to go into midiwfery and was told that they were starting up a new scheme so applyie for that instead. I went to a group information afternoon and was accepted just had to be DBS checked. I emailed the head of my local women's health clinic and asked for work experience mentioning that I allready volunteer in the same hospital and have been DBS checked and was accepted for it. It's with the cwm taf trust.
Reply 35
I applied to work as a volunteer on the stroke ward and mentioned that I want to go into midiwfery and was told that they were starting up a new scheme so applyie for that instead. I went to a group information afternoon and was accepted just had to be DBS checked. I emailed the head of my local women's health clinic and asked for work experience mentioning that I allready volunteer in the same hospital and have been DBS checked and was accepted for it. It's with the cwm taf trust.

Thankyou so much! I've been in contact with so many people who work at my local hospital, but the only thing they could offer me was a tour of the maternity services, which allowed me to speak to student midwives. They said they can't offer any work experience or volunteering as they are so full with Cardiff University students. From your experience, it seems I may have to search for hospitals slightly further away from Cardiff haha. :smile:
Hi all,

I will be applying to:
Cardiff
Keele
Oxford Brookes
Anglia Ruskin
South Wales

Wow that sounds amazing experience! Please can you give details on how you got your work experience placements in Arizona and Thailand? Is it through a company like Gap Medics?
Original post by Linsy
Wow that sounds amazing experience! Please can you give details on how you got your work experience placements in Arizona and Thailand? Is it through a company like Gap Medics?

My experience in Thailand is through Gap Medics, a family friend moved to the US and now co-runs a practice so I'll be doing my experience with her :smile:
My experience in Thailand is through Gap Medics, a family friend moved to the US and now co-runs a practice so I'll be doing my experience with her :smile:

That's awesome. I want to do Gap Medics but unfortunately don't have the funds at the moment. =[
Reply 39
I'm hoping to apply for 2016 entry also :smile: I currently volunteer at my local hospital on a maternity ward but this is my second round of applying as I didn't get the grades last time. I'm just worried that because I did a levels before and I'm now doing an access course it might ruin my chances as I didn't do so well in my a levels? I'm hoping not as this is 100% what I want to do and hoping its 2nd time lucky!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending