The Student Room Group

Midwifery applicants for 2016 - 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aoifemc95
Hi anyone else out there applying in 2016, that just wants to have a chat. :smile:

Im applying next year ! but so confused about it all ! feel free to chat ! xx
I'm applying for 2016! I got at GCSE 3 A*, 7 A and 2 B. I'm doing biology chemistry maths and psychology waiting for AS results but think I have got ABBB! I've got lots of experience, I volunteer fortnightly at York hospital on stroke ward, I volunteer weekly at antenatal group, I've done 2 days work experience with consultants at hospital, 1 day maternity ward experience, an intro to midwifery online course, I've attended a conference in London on pregnancy and fertilisation by Lord Robert Winston, I volunteered for 6 months at rainbows girl group, I was also a house vice captain and science ambassador at school. Have a got a good chance of getting offers as I know unis tend to like mature students a lot!!
I am in the middle of sorting my application for 2016 and I want it sooo much! I finished my psychology degree last year but i now finally know what i want to do! I am so excited but worried as i know how competitive the course entry is! Currently trying to get work experience but I'm just sitting on waiting lists at the moment. I am 22 and living on the wirral, what about you guys? Its so nice to chat to other people passionate about becoming midwives! I think I'm boring my boyfriend!
Hello dears

Erm, my application's a little different. I will be applying during a year out after dropping out of medical school.

I have A-levels at grade A in Chemistry, French and Maths (and an A* in General Studies) as well as an A in AS German.

I have 7 A*s and 6 As at GCSE.

As I'm limited by the lack of biology, I cannot apply in Huddersfield (my home town) which sucks but I suppose live goes on.

I intend to definitely apply to:
- York
- Cardiff
- Manchester
- Kings'
(I think in that order, but there are open days to attend yet)

I think I'm going to put St George's down as my fifth choice, but I'm not too sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am applying for Midwifery for 2016 entry. I am doing a-levels in biology, psychology and health&social. I am half way through writing my personal statement but an finding it tricky because I know how important it is. I work in a fish and chip shop, I volunteer at a care home twice a week, I have completed a first aid course, I have done work experience in a primary school, I am on the waiting list for work experience on the maternity unit and I am also applying to shadow a health visitor. Currently my favourite uni's are Kings College, City University, UEA and Nottingham. Anyone got any advice on how to make a successful application or any good uni's?
I'll be applying for 16/17
Just wondering if anyone has any tips for personal statements? I have loads of experience as I have worked as an MSW for 3 years, I'm having MAJOR struggles trying to fit everything I want to write into just 4000 characters! :frown:
xx
I am having the exact same problem, I've done so much volunteering and I'm currently at 7000 characters and I just can't get it down!!! pm me if you'd like some help and we can help eachother haha :smile:
What did everyone get at AS who's wanting to do midwifery?
Original post by ranimayx
What did everyone get at AS who's wanting to do midwifery?

A-psychology
B-biology
C-chemistry (2 marks off B)
C-maths (3 marks off B)
Taking forward ABC in psych, biology and maths :smile:
What about you?
im applying for midwifery... i already have a degree which i completed in 2011, but after having my 2nd child i have decided midwifery is something i really want to do.. i forgot how much i hate writing personal statements!!
Hi 😀 haven't read all of the replies yet, just wanted to see if there are others like me applying for sep 16 entry ? I'm applying to CCCU, at Medway (we live in Maidstone)
I'm mum to 3 girls and a boy, aged 2-10, so know I'll have my hands full (!) but now is the time to make a head start in my career.
I did the student thing a lifetime ago and got a degree back in 1998, so hoping to do some kind of course to ease me back into the whole studying mindset (and to get a good reference!)
When I've got a spare few mins I'll go through the replies 😀
bye for now
Maria
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi all, I've got my place for sept 2016 at the Medway campus! Hope to meet you all x
Did you defer ?
I did yes, due to housing issues it just made sense for me to defer :smile: x
fantastic, exciting !
Hi everyone,
I'm ashlee and applying for midwifery in September 2016. I start my access course in science next month. Fingers crossed for us all xx
Reply 56
So many of you are in a similar position to me! I'll be going back to uni after I finish my degree and take a year out, do you think its worth doing a foundation/access course?
What uni's is everyone looking at/thinking of applying to?
Hi everyone!
i plan to study Midwifery at 2016 entry but im finding it really difficult to get some midwifery experience i have emailed and been to several places who either haven't gotten back to me yet or cant take me on to volunteer - ive tried my local hospital the NVT and with doula UK but ive been so unlucky im starting to get disheartened. I've been a reading mentor to year 2's and ive volunteered at an elderly home and have an interview with a midwife scheduled . I live in London and im currently at sixth form studying Biology, Chemistry (dropped) , Government and Politics and Media. I achieved a BCDU at as but i dropped the subject i got a U in and plan to resit a module of the subject i got a D in.

The universities im looking at are:
Nottingham
Kings
York
Coventry
Keele
Middlesex
Bedfordshire
De montford

Does anyone have any advice about midwifery related volunteering and work experience?
Original post by SavvyGirl22
Hi everyone!
i plan to study Midwifery at 2016 entry but im finding it really difficult to get some midwifery experience i have emailed and been to several places who either haven't gotten back to me yet or cant take me on to volunteer - ive tried my local hospital the NVT and with doula UK but ive been so unlucky im starting to get disheartened. I've been a reading mentor to year 2's and ive volunteered at an elderly home and have an interview with a midwife scheduled . I live in London and im currently at sixth form studying Biology, Chemistry (dropped) , Government and Politics and Media. I achieved a BCDU at as but i dropped the subject i got a U in and plan to resit a module of the subject i got a D in.

The universities im looking at are:
Nottingham
Kings
York
Coventry
Keele
Middlesex
Bedfordshire
De montford

Does anyone have any advice about midwifery related volunteering and work experience?

Hi I'm also in sixth form studying psychology biology maths and chemistry (dropped) and I got ABCC. I volunteer weekly at my local hospital on a ward, I also attend antenatal classes every Wednesday, I've got work experience on special care baby unit, children's neurology clinic and I have work experience on maternity unit later on in September. I also attended a conference by Lord Robert Winston in London and I'm a quarterly subscriber to British journal of midwifery. If you would like to know more about how I got these opportunities, I would be more than willing to help a fellow sixth former out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending