The Student Room Group

Midwifery applicants for 2016 - 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bethygirl
I'm applying for 2016! I got at GCSE 3 A*, 7 A and 2 B. I'm doing biology chemistry maths and psychology waiting for AS results but think I have got ABBB! I've got lots of experience, I volunteer fortnightly at York hospital on stroke ward, I volunteer weekly at antenatal group, I've done 2 days work experience with consultants at hospital, 1 day maternity ward experience, an intro to midwifery online course, I've attended a conference in London on pregnancy and fertilisation by Lord Robert Winston, I volunteered for 6 months at rainbows girl group, I was also a house vice captain and science ambassador at school. Have a got a good chance of getting offers as I know unis tend to like mature students a lot!!

Hi, I've also just completed my AS levels and wanted to make sure like you I have enough experience! Would you be willing to say where the online course for midwifery was and how you found out about conferences? You sound like you have an amazing amount of experience. And your results are solid, best of luck for application! What universities have you considered? We may be choosing similar ones!
Original post by meganwilders98
Hi, I've also just completed my AS levels and wanted to make sure like you I have enough experience! Would you be willing to say where the online course for midwifery was and how you found out about conferences? You sound like you have an amazing amount of experience. And your results are solid, best of luck for application! What universities have you considered? We may be choosing similar ones!

It's called 'aim redstone introduction to midwifery'. And luckily my college informed me of this one but if you google Lord Robert Winston, his upcoming conferences will be on there if he has any! Thanks so much, good luck too!!
I'm trying to decide between
York, Leeds, Huddersfield, edge hill, Northumbria, Teesside, de Montfort, Nottingham and Birmingham, I just don't know how to decide because I love them all! What about you?
Thank you! After visiting 8 Universities my final 5 are Nottingham, UEA, Surrey, Oxford Brooke's and Birmingham City. Hopefully Nottingham accept me as they're my first choice but with midwifery it's hard to know if you'll even get an interview! I did think about Leeds but it is very far from home and also requires an A in biology however I achieved a B this year but I'm re sitting the entire AS next year to get an A. it's so stressful making sure everything is good enough!
Reply 63
Hiya! I got BBBB in my AS levels this year in Biology, History, Philosophy and Psychology. I've dropped History, and am hoping to get ABB next year (A in philosophy since I was only 2 marks off an A this year). I'll be applying to Edge Hill, Keele, Nottingham, Surrey and York, with York hopefully as my first choice. I know how competitive it is to get in so I've tried to get as much work experience as possible through care homes, the NCT, online courses etc. I just did my first draft of my personal statement, I know that you're not meant to share it online because of plagiarism, but it would be great if everyone on this forum could give tips so that we all have the best chance in being graduating student midwives in 2019! :biggrin:
Original post by Alexa17
Hiya! I got BBBB in my AS levels this year in Biology, History, Philosophy and Psychology. I've dropped History, and am hoping to get ABB next year (A in philosophy since I was only 2 marks off an A this year). I'll be applying to Edge Hill, Keele, Nottingham, Surrey and York, with York hopefully as my first choice. I know how competitive it is to get in so I've tried to get as much work experience as possible through care homes, the NCT, online courses etc. I just did my first draft of my personal statement, I know that you're not meant to share it online because of plagiarism, but it would be great if everyone on this forum could give tips so that we all have the best chance in being graduating student midwives in 2019! :biggrin:

I have private messaged you!
Original post by Alexa17

I'll private message you about experience if you want? I'd love to hear what everyone else has done versus myself!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, does anyone know what Queens University need for Midwifery Sciences in order for them to make you an offer?
Does anyone want to private message me to chat all things midwifery?
Hi,

I'm applying for 2016 entry to study midwifery and I was wondering if anyone knew any good books to read?
Original post by ranimayx
Does anyone want to private message me to chat all things midwifery?

I'd love to!
Hi
Just reading through all your comments.
I was lucky enough to get in first time this year for Midwifery and start in January at Leicester (De Montfort)

The UCAS process begins now as you can create an account from September. The deadline is something like 15th January but from experience they begin interviewing then so getting your application in sooner is better. Work experience is a bonus but not always necessary, they want to see that when you start something, you are committed.

Good luck everyone with your application.
One thing to remember is that Midwives are in demand so show the Unis your personal qualities and its not always about the knowledge you know from a book or the internet.
Hi everyone, I will be reapplying for 2016 after getting a place last year and missing out on the grades. :smile: x
Original post by beth_oakley
Hi everyone, I will be reapplying for 2016 after getting a place last year and missing out on the grades. :smile: x

Hi, could I ask where you got offers for and what you got for your grades?
@bethygirl Of course, I had 4/5 interviews for Teesside, Northumbria, Hull and Wolverhampton. I received offers from Wolverhampton and Northumbria, and withdrew from the others as Northumbria was my first choice. I got BCC, and was within 5 marks of a B in the C's. I needed BBB x
Original post by beth_oakley
@bethygirl Of course, I had 4/5 interviews for Teesside, Northumbria, Hull and Wolverhampton. I received offers from Wolverhampton and Northumbria, and withdrew from the others as Northumbria was my first choice. I got BCC, and was within 5 marks of a B in the C's. I needed BBB x

What did you get at AS and in which subjects? You did great to get BCC. Are you planning on resitting exams?x
What did you get at AS and in which subjects? You did great to get BCC. Are you planning on resitting exams?x

Thankyou :smile: , I did Psychology, Biology and Geography, got BBC at AS, just had a bad time with exams this year, I'm resitting some units this year to bring the grades up x
It's called 'aim redstone introduction to midwifery'. And luckily my college informed me of this one but if you google Lord Robert Winston, his upcoming conferences will be on there if he has any! Thanks so much, good luck too!!
I'm trying to decide between
York, Leeds, Huddersfield, edge hill, Northumbria, Teesside, de Montfort, Nottingham and Birmingham, I just don't know how to decide because I love them all! What about you?

Hi guys! Sorry I'm a bit late with this thread but I've just done my AS's too and am hoping to study midwifery yay! I want to apply to Nottingham as well whoooop!! How are you guys finding the personal statement writing? Its so hard to know what to put in and leave out-the word limit is driving me crazy! :frown:((((
What uni's are everyone thinking of applying to? So far I want to apply to Surrey, Nottingham and Keele. Not sure on any others, so would love to hear some suggestions?
Reply 78
When are you all thinking of sending in your applications?
Original post by Alexa17
When are you all thinking of sending in your applications?

October 10th!

Quick Reply

Latest