The Student Room Group

Midwifery applicants for 2016 - 2017

Scroll to see replies

Hello all!
Is anyone planning to go to Uni down the south west?
I'm currently doing an Access course in Nursing and plan to go Uni next sept 2016...anyone similar?
Plus I'm a mature student-eek!! sounds sooooo old but only in my early 30's...:wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Can anyone recommend some good books to read to prepare for university interviews? I want to be as prepared as I can be in my personal statement so if anyone has any good advice I'd be grateful to hear from you! :smile:
Reply 82
Hiyah :biggrin: just want to know if there is anyone applying to midwifery next year that is straight out from school or has applied and got in that can give me some advice and tips please :biggrin: :biggrin: xxxx
I would say read news articles and know those relevant to midwifery, also practice interviews are really good to help with the nerves xx
Reply 84
Original post by taraxx
Hiyah :biggrin: just want to know if there is anyone applying to midwifery next year that is straight out from school or has applied and got in that can give me some advice and tips please :biggrin: :biggrin: xxxx

Hi I am applying to midwifery straight out of school too! Where are you applying too?xx
Reply 85
Original post by Aoifemc95
Hi anyone else out there applying in 2016, that just wants to have a chat. :smile:

Hi I am applying for midwifery out of school, do you have any tips? :smile: Looking to apply to Queens Belfast, York and Swansea!x
Original post by Aoifemc95
Hi anyone else out there applying in 2016, that just wants to have a chat. :smile:

Hi, I'm currently in 6th year looking to apply in January.

So I'm doing a ton of work experience as i am DESPERATE to get into Edinburgh Napier:
I am a leader at the Brownies and the Rainbows once each week. I am a teaching assistant and care for pupils at my local primary school 3 times a week doing a variety of jobs. I attend and help out at breastfeeding classes once a week and also attend and help out at mother and baby classes once a week. Both newborns and toddlers.

Looking to do more work experience though. I've been on tours through the labour ward of my local hospital and spoken to countless midwifes, I have the contact details of a few of them and they agreed to let me send them my application to look at and get their lecturers to look at also to improve my chances of getting in.

So yeah, a lot so far but hopefully more to come :smile:
Reply 87
Original post by a_m_y_p_
Hi I am applying to midwifery straight out of school too! Where are you applying too?xx

Hiyah :smile: Im going to apply to:
University of Manchester
University of Nottingham
University Of Salford
Liverpool John Moore University
Queens University
What are the unis you are applying to? :smile: xx
Original post by taraxx
Hiyah :smile: Im going to apply to:
University of Manchester
University of Nottingham
University Of Salford
Liverpool John Moore University
Queens University
What are the unis you are applying to? :smile: xx

I'm applying for:
Surrey, Nottingham and Keele so far... Still got 2 more to choose!
How's everyone doing with their statements? I HAVE FINALLY COMPLETELY FINISHED MINE WOOHOOO
Reply 90
Original post by bethygirl
How's everyone doing with their statements? I HAVE FINALLY COMPLETELY FINISHED MINE WOOHOOO

I finished mine... then realised it was about 3000 characters over. :frown: Now trying to cut it down, but I'm still 500 over. Have no idea how you're meant to fit your whole life into less than an a4 page!
Original post by Alexa17
I finished mine... then realised it was about 3000 characters over. :frown: Now trying to cut it down, but I'm still 500 over. Have no idea how you're meant to fit your whole life into less than an a4 page!

I know:/ mine started at 7000, it's not 3997 haha! took me months to get it down!! Trying to cut bits out didn't work for me, I just rewrote the whole structure but kept the bits I desperately wanted to keep and rephrased the sentences taking out things such as 'I believe' or 'I feel' as that suggests uncertainty!!
I'm using my personal statement from last year but just going to add more experience that I've got from my gap year! Hopefully I can get it done in the next two weeks at the most!
It's just my reference I'm worried about, I don't know who I'm going to get to do mine! :frown:
My personal statement is 205 characters over!!
Anyone know any ways of getting this down?
I can't seem to find any part that I can delete out or words I can get rid of!!
Original post by gemma-t96
My personal statement is 205 characters over!!
Anyone know any ways of getting this down?
I can't seem to find any part that I can delete out or words I can get rid of!!

Cut out any phrases such as 'I think' or 'I feel' or 'I believe'
Reply 95
Hello, I am stressing over my personal statement :afraid:. My tutor has tore chunks out of it. I was told on university open days to put in my understanding of the role of a midwife. With the one of the university's I am applying to they want you to demonstrate that you have thought carefully about the influences on women's health and the nature of midwifery in the UK in the 21st century. My tutor only wants me to put in my experience and specific skills and that anything else is irrelevant. I've been reading others online and they seem completely different to mine, mentioning the royal college of midwifes etc...I'm so lost with it now that I don't know if mine is what they are looking for...
Reply 96
hey everyone :smile: I just want to know if its possible for student midwives to do extra curricular activities in university. I really want to do cheerleading and pole fitness when I go into uni next year but midwifery is so demanding and time consuming:frown: im afraid I want have the time or be able to attend every training session.
what do you guys think?
Original post by sarrybak
Hello, I am stressing over my personal statement :afraid:. My tutor has tore chunks out of it. I was told on university open days to put in my understanding of the role of a midwife. With the one of the university's I am applying to they want you to demonstrate that you have thought carefully about the influences on women's health and the nature of midwifery in the UK in the 21st century. My tutor only wants me to put in my experience and specific skills and that anything else is irrelevant. I've been reading others online and they seem completely different to mine, mentioning the royal college of midwifes etc...I'm so lost with it now that I don't know if mine is what they are looking for...

I think writing about role of midwife, qualities and experience is a priority then if you have characters spare then write about what you have mentioned about!
Reply 98
Hi guys, I'm currently in the middle of my application for midwifery in September 2016. I have applied for:
Leeds University
University of Nottingham
University of the West /of England, Bristol
De Montfort University
Wolverhampton University
If you guys wouldn't mind telling me some key points that would make me most likely to be considered a place on a midwifery course.

Thank You :smile:
I've just got my email saying my application has gone through the similar check, has been sent to my chosen unis and I've received my track log in!! Is anyone else here applying to either Leeds, Huddersfield, edge hill, Northumbria or Teesside ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending