The Student Room Group

How to stop caring about my weight?

I am underweight... I know I'm skinny but still I find myself worrying about gaining weight and about the shape of my body, and I end up thinking things like "I shouldn't be eating this... that's unhealthy and I'll gain weight" or I feel like I need to do more excersize. Every so often (few times a day) I end up telling myself "You need to loose more belly fat/leg fat/etc" when quite honestly the rest of the time I know I should actually be gaining weight... but these moods overall are actually making me loose weight when I should be gaining weight. Even the doctor told me I have a BMI that's too low (16)...

How can I stop caring? It's not always that I think I need to loose weight, like right now I don't think I need to. But how can I stop myself from these thoughts?
Original post by Anonymous
I am underweight... I know I'm skinny but still I find myself worrying about gaining weight and about the shape of my body, and I end up thinking things like "I shouldn't be eating this... that's unhealthy and I'll gain weight" or I feel like I need to do more excersize. Every so often (few times a day) I end up telling myself "You need to loose more belly fat/leg fat/etc" when quite honestly the rest of the time I know I should actually be gaining weight... but these moods overall are actually making me loose weight when I should be gaining weight. Even the doctor told me I have a BMI that's too low (16)...

How can I stop caring? It's not always that I think I need to loose weight, like right now I don't think I need to. But how can I stop myself from these thoughts?

Whilst I can't give you any advice I can empathise if that helps? After going to the doctors I found out that my eating disorder is back and I get LOTS of stomach aches because of it, I literally have to force food down cos I feel sick and everytime I look in the mirror all I see is fat :/ I am literally so scared of gaining weight even though I know I need to.

I think what helps me kinda eat (it's kinda messed up just warning you)

is that if I don't eat I'm going to end up collapsing or something or being hospitalised and then they are going to stick tubes in me and then make sure I eat whether I like it or not and actually make me fat like fat fat

I also want an arse and tits :colondollar: and if I don't eat well there's not enough anything for it :colondollar:

sorry it's anonymous but I know a few people from school know I'm on this and I don't want anyone knowing
Reply 2
Whilst I can't give you any advice I can empathise if that helps? After going to the doctors I found out that my eating disorder is back and I get LOTS of stomach aches because of it, I literally have to force food down cos I feel sick and everytime I look in the mirror all I see is fat :/ I am literally so scared of gaining weight even though I know I need to.

I think what helps me kinda eat (it's kinda messed up just warning you)

is that if I don't eat I'm going to end up collapsing or something or being hospitalised and then they are going to stick tubes in me and then make sure I eat whether I like it or not and actually make me fat like fat fat

I also want an arse and tits :colondollar: and if I don't eat well there's not enough anything for it :colondollar:

sorry it's anonymous but I know a few people from school know I'm on this and I don't want anyone knowing

I guess that's a good way of thinking about it, although I don't let myself skip meals. Everyone always points out that my meals are so small but I still eat 3 meals a day. But I just won't let myself eat more even though I need to if that makes sense? So basically I eat just enough, so as long as I don't get worse I won't collapse or anything I don't think... Although if you phrase it like "they'll make me really put on weight" I guess that could help me eat a little bit more since I really don't want to put on much more weight (only 2 kg at most I think... but then again I don't want to put on any?)

I haven't been diagnosed with any eating disorder though? I know I'm thin and I don't think I'm fat... although sometimes I think people exaggerate how thin I am...? Idk

It's okay that you're on anonymous, I totally understand. It's the same for me actually.

Honestly I just wish I didn't care but I don't know how to make that happen :confused:
I guess that's a good way of thinking about it, although I don't let myself skip meals. Everyone always points out that my meals are so small but I still eat 3 meals a day. But I just won't let myself eat more even though I need to if that makes sense? So basically I eat just enough, so as long as I don't get worse I won't collapse or anything I don't think... Although if you phrase it like "they'll make me really put on weight" I guess that could help me eat a little bit more since I really don't want to put on much more weight (only 2 kg at most I think... but then again I don't want to put on any?)

I haven't been diagnosed with any eating disorder though? I know I'm thin and I don't think I'm fat... although sometimes I think people exaggerate how thin I am...? Idk

It's okay that you're on anonymous, I totally understand. It's the same for me actually.

Honestly I just wish I didn't care but I don't know how to make that happen :confused:

Before I say anything else can I ask how old you are and how much you weigh?
But yeah I know exactly how you feel about letting yourself eat, sometimes I actually want more to eat but then I stop myself and tell myself nope not happening even though I know I could do with it. But another thing that's helping me is the fact that because the eating disorder is back I'm not eating much (obviously :colondollar:) and because of that my metabolism is reaallly slowing down and that's getting me to gain weight, more than if I actually ate like a normal person if you get what I mean? So I'm telling myself that eating is better than not eating so I just try and eat a lot of the food that I like (I'm a really picky eater as well :| ) cos a slow metabolism is the worst thing to have

I think if you booked an appointment with your doctor and explained how you feel and discussed your weight he/she would try and help you out and figure out why you feel like that in the first place, that's what my doctor is trying to do

I really wish I could help you with that one :frown: but that's where I'm stuck too
Reply 4
Before I say anything else can I ask how old you are and how much you weigh?
But yeah I know exactly how you feel about letting yourself eat, sometimes I actually want more to eat but then I stop myself and tell myself nope not happening even though I know I could do with it. But another thing that's helping me is the fact that because the eating disorder is back I'm not eating much (obviously :colondollar:) and because of that my metabolism is reaallly slowing down and that's getting me to gain weight, more than if I actually ate like a normal person if you get what I mean? So I'm telling myself that eating is better than not eating so I just try and eat a lot of the food that I like (I'm a really picky eater as well :| ) cos a slow metabolism is the worst thing to have

I think if you booked an appointment with your doctor and explained how you feel and discussed your weight he/she would try and help you out and figure out why you feel like that in the first place, that's what my doctor is trying to do

I really wish I could help you with that one :frown: but that's where I'm stuck too

I'm 17 and last time I weighed myself after dinner about a week ago I was 37 kg (although that weighing scale isn't the best so I might be a bit more or less idk) (I'm quite short too, 5 ft exactly, so it's not like I'm 5'7 and only 37kg or anything). Last time I went to the doctors I was 37kg I think? Or 38, I can't remember which. And that was about a month ago. And a year ago I was 42 kg, so I've lost 4-5 kg I think.

Can I ask about you too? Just so I know? It's okay if you don't want to say.

And I'm really fussy too :colondollar: And to be honest I often eat foods trying to raise my metabolism, for example oats in the morning instead of cereal or something (like I always eat meals but almost always with my weight in mind), and if I snack like eat a biscuit or something I will purposely do more excersize and stuff.

I'm in therapy for anxiety right now, but I've never mentioned my weight because I always think "I'm here for anxiety, not anything else." so yeah. Should I mention it? I will be stopping going soon since I have improved lots but idk if I should bother mentioning this?

Hopefully we can find out how to not care soon haha :redface:
I'm 17 and last time I weighed myself after dinner about a week ago I was 37 kg (although that weighing scale isn't the best so I might be a bit more or less idk) (I'm quite short too, 5 ft exactly, so it's not like I'm 5'7 and only 37kg or anything). Last time I went to the doctors I was 37kg I think? Or 38, I can't remember which. And that was about a month ago. And a year ago I was 42 kg, so I've lost 4-5 kg I think.

Can I ask about you too? Just so I know? It's okay if you don't want to say.

And I'm really fussy too :colondollar: And to be honest I often eat foods trying to raise my metabolism, for example oats in the morning instead of cereal or something (like I always eat meals but almost always with my weight in mind), and if I snack like eat a biscuit or something I will purposely do more excersize and stuff.

I'm in therapy for anxiety right now, but I've never mentioned my weight because I always think "I'm here for anxiety, not anything else." so yeah. Should I mention it? I will be stopping going soon since I have improved lots but idk if I should bother mentioning this?

Hopefully we can find out how to not care soon haha :redface:

I'm 17 too! :ahee:

Nah it's fine no-one is going to be able to suss me out by this :cool:
Height = 5 ft 2 my weight is 41 kg when I went to the doctors so I'm just borderline 'healthy' but my doctor told me that it doesn't count cos the only reason I gained weight was because my metabolism slowed down :angry: . I'm usually around 38 kg, I've gained no weight since year 6 (I was 40 kg then)

To keep the metabolism fast we gotta keep shovelling down calories so I'm trying to do it but it's hard. I can't even find the energy to exercise even though I keep telling myself I need to. I'm telling myself once I get to uni I'll go jogging every morning :rofl: but I think that's wishful thinking

Deffo mention it! Those people are there to help you psychologically, it doesn't matter if it's anxiety or not wanting to gain weight (you know the weight gain thing might be a contributing factor to anxiety) but yeah I definitely think it's worth mentioning. My doctor wants me to go to therapy cos I get quite depressed as well but I'm torn between going and not going, so at the moment I'm still deciding.

Maybe we should work on our metabolism and we can both be that skinny friend that eats like a pig but never gains weight :ahee: :console:
Reply 6
I'm 17 too! :ahee:

Nah it's fine no-one is going to be able to suss me out by this :cool:
Height = 5 ft 2 my weight is 41 kg when I went to the doctors so I'm just borderline 'healthy' but my doctor told me that it doesn't count cos the only reason I gained weight was because my metabolism slowed down :angry: . I'm usually around 38 kg, I've gained no weight since year 6 (I was 40 kg then)

To keep the metabolism fast we gotta keep shovelling down calories so I'm trying to do it but it's hard. I can't even find the energy to exercise even though I keep telling myself I need to. I'm telling myself once I get to uni I'll go jogging every morning :rofl: but I think that's wishful thinking

Deffo mention it! Those people are there to help you psychologically, it doesn't matter if it's anxiety or not wanting to gain weight (you know the weight gain thing might be a contributing factor to anxiety) but yeah I definitely think it's worth mentioning. My doctor wants me to go to therapy cos I get quite depressed as well but I'm torn between going and not going, so at the moment I'm still deciding.

Maybe we should work on our metabolism and we can both be that skinny friend that eats like a pig but never gains weight :ahee: :console:

I never even weighed myself before about a year ago haha. I think I probably weighed less in year 7 since I did so much excersize but then I stopped so I got a bit bigger until about a year and a half ago where I started losing weight ^^ and omg same I tell myself when I get to uni I'll go to the gymn and become really fit but then I think realistically and I'm like nah hahahahah. Maybe I could get back into swimming or something though, but then I always think I don't want people noticing that my legs are kinda a size bigger than the rest of my body, or the little lump for my belly haha so maybe not ^^'

I think... I will defo think about it. I just don't know how to start saying it because like... she's been preparing me for leaving and telling me how much I've improved and it kinda feels like I would have let her down by not telling her the truth or something? Wait, the weight thing can contribute to anxiety??

I found therapy so useful! So far it's made my anxiety sooo much better, like I never have panic attacks anymore! So I would definitely reccomend it!!!

Ahhh how amazing it would be to be one of those skinny people who can eat whatever they want whenever they want without doing loads of excersize :tongue: I thought that was genetics though? If there is a way to become like that I'd love to know hahaha :colondollar: it must be so nice for those people because instead of people telling them they're too skinny and they need to eat more they are told "wow you eat so much but you don't put on weight!!", that would be so nice haha.
I never even weighed myself before about a year ago haha. I think I probably weighed less in year 7 since I did so much excersize but then I stopped so I got a bit bigger until about a year and a half ago where I started losing weight ^^ and omg same I tell myself when I get to uni I'll go to the gymn and become really fit but then I think realistically and I'm like nah hahahahah. Maybe I could get back into swimming or something though, but then I always think I don't want people noticing that my legs are kinda a size bigger than the rest of my body, or the little lump for my belly haha so maybe not ^^'

I think... I will defo think about it. I just don't know how to start saying it because like... she's been preparing me for leaving and telling me how much I've improved and it kinda feels like I would have let her down by not telling her the truth or something? Wait, the weight thing can contribute to anxiety??

I found therapy so useful! So far it's made my anxiety sooo much better, like I never have panic attacks anymore! So I would definitely reccomend it!!!

Ahhh how amazing it would be to be one of those skinny people who can eat whatever they want whenever they want without doing loads of excersize :tongue: I thought that was genetics though? If there is a way to become like that I'd love to know hahaha :colondollar: it must be so nice for those people because instead of people telling them they're too skinny and they need to eat more they are told "wow you eat so much but you don't put on weight!!", that would be so nice haha.

I only remember cos when I was in year 6 I went to the airport and weighed myself on one of those things people put their luggages on :L :L . Hahaha exactly! I reckon when I get to uni I'll look at societies for exercising but then give up after a few weeks... If I last that long hahaha

:yes: it really can, hmm bring it up slowly, be something like "one of my friends (moi :colondollar: :biggrin:) pointed out how my eating habits aren't really right, she said I eat too little, and I realised she's right I'm really conscious about how much I eat and then go from there?

Really? I don't know, I'm not really one to talk about my feelings too much, I'd just mainly reply with I don't know or I'm not sure :confused: like I do to my doctor when he asks me about it

No way! It's totally to do with your metabolism, I used to be like that, I used to eat like any man's business in year 7 and briefly for the start of year 12 and I did not gain any weight at all but then my stupid eating disorder started/came back :cry2: . It's all about the metabolism, once it's fast enough trust me you can eat literally more than the fattest person you know and you won't gain any weight. Let's try to achieve that :h:
Reply 8
I only remember cos when I was in year 6 I went to the airport and weighed myself on one of those things people put their luggages on :L :L . Hahaha exactly! I reckon when I get to uni I'll look at societies for exercising but then give up after a few weeks... If I last that long hahaha

:yes: it really can, hmm bring it up slowly, be something like "one of my friends (moi :colondollar: :biggrin:) pointed out how my eating habits aren't really right, she said I eat too little, and I realised she's right I'm really conscious about how much I eat and then go from there?

Really? I don't know, I'm not really one to talk about my feelings too much, I'd just mainly reply with I don't know or I'm not sure :confused: like I do to my doctor when he asks me about it

No way! It's totally to do with your metabolism, I used to be like that, I used to eat like any man's business in year 7 and briefly for the start of year 12 and I did not gain any weight at all but then my stupid eating disorder started/came back :cry2: . It's all about the metabolism, once it's fast enough trust me you can eat literally more than the fattest person you know and you won't gain any weight. Let's try to achieve that :h:

I could definitely try to say that! Maybe when she asks how I am and if there's anything I want to bring up (she always says that) I could try and mention it...? And hmm, what about anyone you're close to? Do you reply like that with them? Cause tbh mt psychologist is so nice I kinda feel like I can tell her things about my anxiety quite easily now :smile: so maybe it could be the same to you? And quite a lot I don't know what to say in answer to her questions and I end up saying "I don't know" and she just tries her best to try and find out things, I mean it's their job and they probably have lots of people who reply like this so I think they're probably used to it ^^ I think it's worth a go, I actually think I will miss it when I finish it tbh!

And wow! But how do you get your metabolism up then? Because I know people who eat loads and gain loads of weight, but I also know people who eat loads and gain no weight? It sounds so confusing haha.

Quick Reply

Latest