The Student Room Group

Poor GCSE and still want to get into mediicne

mnjnjnj knk
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Having you considered going private? University of Buckingham is starting a course.
Original post by clh_hilary
Having you considered going private? University of Buckingham is starting a course.

Is my GCSE really that bad to get into medicine? What if I get 4A's on my As?
Original post by The guy01343
Is my GCSE really that bad to get into medicine? What if I get 4A's on my As?

I have no idea. Just asking.
I got 1A*6A2B2C. However C on English Language. Therefore, I m going to sit the IGCSE cambridge and hopefully I will get an A. Is it still possible for me to apply medicine. I would like to apply queens merry manchester glasgow n plymouth. Please give me some advice guys. Be honest.

With those GCSE's it will be quite difficult. However, if you apply to an admissions test heavy medical school (one that requires you to score really highly in the UKCAT or BMAT) then you may have a chance in getting a place. It is extremely competitive, though. Some people apply with straight A*'s and still don't get anywhere.

But remember that medicine is not just about grades. You HAVE to be able to cope with life as a doctor (i.e. good communication skills, empathetic...). Have you done any sort of work experience or voluntary work related to medicine?
Original post by TheStudent18
With those GCSE's it will be quite difficult. However, if you apply to an admissions test heavy medical school (one that requires you to score really highly in the UKCAT or BMAT) then you may have a chance in getting a place. It is extremely competitive, though. Some people apply with straight A*'s and still don't get anywhere.

But remember that medicine is not just about grades. You HAVE to be able to cope with life as a doctor (i.e. good communication skills, empathetic...). Have you done any sort of work experience or voluntary work related to medicine?

Yep. I worked in a hospital for a month last summer. I m also volunteering in Oxfam. I m also going to Tanzania for a 2 weeks placement in the summer.
I got 1A*6A2B2C. However C on English Language. Therefore, I m going to sit the IGCSE cambridge and hopefully I will get an A. Is it still possible for me to apply medicine. I would like to apply queens merry manchester glasgow n plymouth. Please give me some advice guys. Be honest.

Most medics tend to have like 6-8 A*s for GCSE. You still stand a chance if you have really good GCE AS grades, high predictions and really good PS but Medicine is really competitive and is one course that takes GCSE performance into consideration. Your chances are quite low as most applicants will have better GCSEs and I think you must have a minimum B for GCSE English. Have you thought of Foundation Medicine? King's and some other unis offer it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Raymat
Most medics tend to have like 6-8 A*s for GCSE. You still stand a chance if you have really good GCE AS grades, high predictions and really good PS but Medicine is really competitive and is one course that take GCSE performance consideration. Your chances are quite low as most applicants will have better GCSEs and I think you must have a minimum B for GCSE English. Have you thought of Foundation Medicine? King's and some other unis offer it.

Can I still apply for foundation medicine if I m studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geog?
Can I still apply for foundation medicine if I m studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geog?

The harder the subjects the better, so yes off course. Those are a strong combination of GCE A levels.

If you manage to get an A or B in Eng lang you have a chance, not may medical schools will accept a C in English as a minimum requirement, most require a B or above.

You will need to focus on making the rest of your application outstanding, and apply strategically to schools who place less emphasis on GCSE results.
Yep. I worked in a hospital for a month last summer. I m also volunteering in Oxfam. I m also going to Tanzania for a 2 weeks placement in the summer.

OK, that's good. Get as much work experience possible. Try and get 'hands-on' work experience - maybe try and get a job at your local care home?

Some foundation medical courses don't allow you to apply if you are studying chemistry, but it may be different (give it a quick internet search).

For medicine, you really need to get four A's in your AS-levels this summer. This will give you some chance! Don't give up - if its what you really want, you'll get it.

If you are struggling with UCAS applications or any study problems, then give me a message, I'll be happy to help. :smile:
Original post by theresheglows
If you manage to get an A or B in Eng lang you have a chance, not may medical schools will accept a C in English as a minimum requirement, most require a B or above.

You will need to focus on making the rest of your application outstanding, and apply strategically to schools who place less emphasis on GCSE results.

Do you think it is a good idea to apply Manchester, plymouth and glasgow?

It depends on the course. Foundation programmes are usually aimed at those from certain areas, deprived backgrounds or those without science A-levels or other science level 3 qualifications. You would need to meet one or more of these requirements. Unless you meet certain social requirements then doing more than 1 science will make you ineligible for most or all of them.

Have a look here to see if you would be eligible for any of the foundation programmes offered http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Foundation_and_Widening_Access_to_Medicine_Programs
Original post by Raymat
The harder the subjects the better, so yes off course. Those are a strong combination of GCE A levels.

Will I still stand a chance if I get 4As in As level?
OK, that's good. Get as much work experience possible. Try and get 'hands-on' work experience - maybe try and get a job at your local care home?

Some foundation medical courses don't allow you to apply if you are studying chemistry, but it may be different (give it a quick internet search).

For medicine, you really need to get four A's in your AS-levels this summer. This will give you some chance! Don't give up - if its what you really want, you'll get it.

If you are struggling with UCAS applications or any study problems, then give me a message, I'll be happy to help. :smile:

haha thx for the help Are you currently a medic and wt r ur stats?
Do you think it is a good idea to apply Manchester, plymouth and glasgow?

You already meet the minimum GCSE requirements for Plymouth, so they might be a good option for you. Glasgow and Manchester both require a B in English, but prefer A. Both possible if you can get at least a B on resit or IGCSE. Manchester is slightly more fussy about GCSEs than the other two, but not as bad as some.

Have a look here for GCSE requirements, it's a bit outdated so best to also check websites http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Foundation_and_Widening_Access_to_Medicine_Programs

Also very useful
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths
haha thx for the help Are you currently a medic and wt r ur stats?

No, just an applicant. My GCSE stats aren't the best, that's why I try and help everyone that doubts themselves!

GCSE's = 7 A's, 4 B's
AS = 4 A's
A2 = A*, A, A
No, just an applicant. My GCSE stats aren't the best, that's why I try and help everyone that doubts themselves!

GCSE's = 7 A's, 4 B's
AS = 4 A's
A2 = A*, A, A

Which uni hav u applied?
Original post by theresheglows
You already meet the minimum GCSE requirements for Plymouth, so they might be a good option for you. Glasgow and Manchester both require a B in English, but prefer A. Both possible if you can get at least a B on resit or IGCSE. Manchester is slightly more fussy about GCSEs than the other two, but not as bad as some.

Have a look here for GCSE requirements, it's a bit outdated so best to also check websites http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Foundation_and_Widening_Access_to_Medicine_Programs

Also very useful
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

Apparently, Manchester dont look at GCSE as much once you meet their minimum requirement.
Not to put the fear of God into you or anything, but man are you gonna have your work cut out for you. I got 3A*s, 6As and a B (physics), Three As and a B (Chemistry) at AS and I'm now studying Biology, Chemistry and German. I'm pretty good academically, but obviously so many people apply to medicine with incredible results and predictions. A lot of emphasis is placed on academia, because I stand out from the crowd with work experience - yet all I have to show for it are three rejections from the four med schools I've applied to (one has yet to respond). There's no bitterness there, I'm going on a gap year to work in a hospital in Germany and finally study there; but the English system chews up applicants and spits them out if they don't have straight A*s.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending