The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I love RoSPA's new idea. Winter is GMT+1 and summer is GMT+2. That means that in the depth of winter, the north of of the country won't get light till 10AM.

Genius :rolleyes: That'll pervent accidents... Can you imagine how depressing that would be? Obviously not as depressing as the problem faced by folk in the Arctic Circle... but still - it'd be a bit of a culture shock. All for the sake of kids having an hour after school to play out in the relative lightness. It'll be pissing it down with rain during the winter. Waste of money. Waste of time (quite literally) and I'm not keen on the idea of artificially changing our time zone to the equivalent of being in the middle of the goddamn Atlantic.
Think of all the computer software that would have to be changed! What a joke.

Nice one RoSPA. Some clear thinking there. :rolleyes:
Reply 41
Juwel
It is something to do with the British agriculture sector, yes. Something like that Raspy.

So it is today, we're meant to turn them back, no?

Aye. Your clocks should read 10:<minutes> rather than 11:<minutes>
Reply 42
Sound, cheers Vladdy :yy:
Reply 43
Juwel
Sound, cheers Vladdy :yy:

No worries :smile:
Dammit. What time is it? I'm on a crappy windows PC and I don't know if it has adjusted for daylight savings... Is it 1040?
Reply 45
fonzievision
Dammit. What time is it? I'm on a crappy windows PC and I don't know if it has adjusted for daylight savings... Is it 1040?

Yes it is ...well 10.48 now.
Reply 46
Our power went out last night, it was probably due to the clocks going back.
Reply 47
sol89
Our power went out last night, it was probably due to the clocks going back.

^o) Is your power company using a 486 to control the grid or summat :confused:
I hate changing the clocks. Always screws up my system.
Reply 49
This is a troubling time. But never fear, Merton College Oxford has your back:

Merton's peaceful precincts are disturbed once a year by the (in)famous Time Ceremony, when students, dressed in formal sub-fusc, walk backwards around Fellows' Quad drinking port. Traditionally participants also hold candles but in recent years this practice has been dropped, and many students have now adopted the habit of linking arms and twirling around at each corner of the quad. The purpose is ostensibly to maintain the integrity of the space-time continuum during the transition from British Summer Time to Greenwich Mean Time which occurs in the early hours of the last Sunday in October. There are two toasts associated with the ceremony, the first is "to a good old time" whilst the second is "long live the counter revolution!". The ceremony was invented by two undergraduates in 1971, partly as a spoof on other Oxford ceremonies, and partly to celebrate the end of the experimental period of British Standard Time from 1968 to 1971 when the UK stayed one hour ahead of GMT all year round. It is also seen by many as a protest against the abandonment of sub fusc in recent years.
Reply 50
Mad Vlad
^o) Is your power company using a 486 to control the grid or summat :confused:

God knows, whatever that is. :confused:
Reply 51
sol89
God knows, whatever that is. :confused:

OLD. :p:
Reply 52
I was once told it was to aid the farmers, as they usually do all their work in the morning. Therefore they get an extra hours sunlight in the morning allowing their productivity to increase. Something to do with that i'm sure.
Reply 53
Mad Vlad
OLD. :p:

Oh right, most probably! :biggrin:
Reply 54
Not to be a pedant, but the clocks turn back. Time stays as it is, for the sake of closing that loophole whereby people would just have their own personal "rape 'n' genocide hour" once a year at 1am, only to see all evidence swallowed by temporal readjustments. It just works better this way.
My clock radio still hasnt automatically set itself back, so I called up the manufacturer and swore at them a whole lot.

Problem unsolved.
Reply 56
wesetters
I wonder how many idiots will read the title of this thread now and turn their clocks back another hour before going to bed... :p:

Funny stuff. :biggrin:
Reply 57
My clock is radio controlled:dancing2: and my pc is very clever :p:

AND NOOOOOOO!!! Time cannot turn back an hour can it???:eek:

Save yourselves before it's too late:eek4:

AND DoN't ask stockport to turn there clock back because they haven't even put it forward when spring came:p:

:wink:
It was funny watching the tv schedules and programs screw up on sky yesterday night.

ITV had on the schedule "**bst ends**clocks go back one hour**" or something similar for 2AM, before the clocks went back. After, they still had the same message up for 2AM.

Paramout Comedy completely messed up with the 1+ program being out of sync by one hour and a half I think, and the normal channel was showing the wrong programs.

Obviously no-one tests these things.

Its like the Y2K bug, but it happens every year...
Reply 59
Sasuntsi Davit
It was funny watching the tv schedules and programs screw up on sky yesterday night.

ITV had on the schedule "**bst ends**clocks go back one hour**" or something similar for 2AM, before the clocks went back. After, they still had the same message up for 2AM.

Paramout Comedy completely messed up with the 1+ program being out of sync by one hour and a half I think, and the normal channel was showing the wrong programs.

Obviously no-one tests these things.

Its like the Y2K bug, but it happens every year...

aw i always forget to see what happens with the sky tv guide :frown: oh well only 6 months to go.

if it is for the farmers why didnt they just get up an hour earlier and go to bed an hour earlier in winter. instead of messing up the rest of us.

Latest

Trending

Trending