Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Other people's religion

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawzzzzzz)
    I never said it was. But their beleif is that I deserve to go to hell, that I am a bad person. I am not inclined to stand by and accept such contentions. You are missing the point really - its not that I BELEIVE in Hell - its that others think I deserve it.

THough most moderate muslims wouldn't dream of it - I think more would than you would think, and its not the point - their religion says that it has to be that way - I find that abhorent.
    Wow, it didn't take long for this to turn into a slagging match did it?:rolleyes:
    I think you are missing the point, the belief is that if you don't believe you 'will' go to hell, not you 'deserve' to go to hell. Your twisting the words. Those of us who believe in one creator are the ones that it affects and should be concerned. You don't believe in god, you don't believe in hell, that's your choice, so why do you care if we believe we may go to hell for not believing? Noone here has said you deserve to go to hell cause you don't believe, I personally feel that even non believers can go to heaven if they are good people. It's my understanding that god is forgiving so I would think when one dies and they are faced with him, they are given the chance to be forgiven.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    I personally feel that even non believers can go to heaven if they are good people. It's my understanding that god is forgiving so I would think when one dies and they are faced with him, they are given the chance to be forgiven.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm hoping God would be like. The fact of the matter is though, I won't know anything for certain until I'm dead, and it's a bit too late to do anything about it.

The way I see it, there are various different types of Christians who believe that I'm going to hell, either because I'm catholic, or because I'm a liberal, pro-gay, pro-choice, believe whatever you want type of person. Do I let this bother me? No. There's no point, and me getting worked up about it isn't going to change what will actually happen.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm hoping God would be like. The fact of the matter is though, I won't know anything for certain until I'm dead, and it's a bit too late to do anything about it.

The way I see it, there are various different types of Christians who believe that I'm going to hell, either because I'm catholic, or because I'm a liberal, pro-gay, pro-choice, believe whatever you want type of person. Do I let this bother me? No. There's no point, and me getting worked up about it isn't going to change what will actually happen.
    I agree, I think it all comes down to the individual and the way they choose to believe. I know some christians who are nice and respect my beliefs but there are some who have that "your lost" type of attitude towards anyone who's beliefs are not the same as theirs. You can't let it bother you, your right there is no point, they see it their way and we see it ours. I have actually been told to my face that I am not a christian, because my beliefs are too different for them to ever understand. Thing is if they would just take a moment and try to understand maybe they would realise that my beliefs aren't so different after all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think alot of this is accepting responsilbility for your own beliefs. If you declare "I am a Muslim," then I believe you should be there to defend any beliefs inherent to being a Muslim. Religious beliefs are not immune from rigorous analysis and well, being torn to pieces.

To give an example, if somebody regardless of their religion, declared that they believed people with green eyes are inferior to those with blue eyes, I would not just sit there saying "okay you have your beliefs, I have mine, I will not try to tackle you on them."
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silly Sally)
    When i say ETA i don't mean it stands for religious views, i know it stands for politics. But hey are still a terrorist organisation and most of them are Christian.
    What an irrelevent comment!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you don't believe in God then you shouldn't believe in a "hell" then should you
    why not?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have read a few peoples views on religion and Islam in particular. I just think a lot of people are being rude and arrogant. I am a devout Muslim and if you don't believe/disagree with some of the views in Islam or any other religion for that matter, then you do not have to believe it. I would like to remind people that it is narrow minded and childish to make a mockery of views upheld in a particular religion. I (unlike a lot of people it seems) respect other people's views and religions, even if i am not convinced with their ideas. As the holy Qur'an mentions "You have your religion/views and I have mine"

I would just like to say that due to recent press coverage, most people have the wrong idea about Islam. "islam" itself means peace/submission, and just because there are a few extremists does not mean that they represent the whole of the billion number of muslims in this world. Plus i believe ETA is a mainly christian organisation and i definitley do NOT believe that all christians act in this manner.

Before jumping to conclusions, it is important to read about other people's religions and views, before mentioning your views when knowing nothing.
    and my view is: i find islam abhorrent and dont have much respect for practicing muslims..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    When Islam says "unbelievers", it means people who believe there is no God whatsoever.
    just us crazy atheists infidels, may we burn in hell, all in the name of tolerance of course.

It is common knowledge that Islam was the last "main" religion to be proposed. Thus the Qur'an was the last holy book. The whole point of the Torah, Bible and Qur'an were to enforce people how to live in the "correct" manner. So basically Qur'an is a derivitive of the Torah and the Bible, so there is overlap between religions. For example Jews, Christians and Muslims all believe in the 10 commandments.

However, in the Qur'an, it says that the Bible and Torah have been changed over the centuries, whereas the Qur'an has not. This is backed up by the fact that there are variations within Bibles of different groups despite steming from the same religion, in comparison to the fact that all Qur'ans are the same, despite different interpretations.

The view of "we are right and you are wrong" is superficial and mis interpreted. After all Abraham was not a muslim, but in fact a Jew and Muslims believe he will go to heaven, and the same as Jesus and the same for all the prophets who are not muslims.
    ie. its all cobbled together hearsay from the same crap...

When your friend says that all "unbelievers" (and from what i gather she means anyone from another religion but islam) are condemned, it is not true because if you are of a different religion and believe in one God and lead a life of right, there is no reason why they should not go to heaven. The main conflicting arguement between Christianity and Islam is that Christianity believes Jesus was the son of God, whereas in Islam, this is not the case

Hope this helps
    i think you missed the second difference, that being Islam wants to actively wipe Atheists, Christians and Jews and anyone else off the planet for the first..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    When i say ETA i don't mean it stands for religious views, i know it stands for politics. But hey are still a terrorist organisation and most of them are Christian.

what an irrelevant comme....Howard!!!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    If you look hard enough in the bible, there's also probably several places that say you deserve to be killed. Point being,
    a. It's not just Islam that you should be attacking.
    a) a christian didnt start the thread
    b) christians arent driving planes into our buildings.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have read a few peoples views on religion and Islam in particular. I just think a lot of people are being rude and arrogant. I am a devout Muslim and if you don't believe/disagree with some of the views in Islam or any other religion for that matter, then you do not have to believe it. I would like to remind people that it is narrow minded and childish to make a mockery of views upheld in a particular religion. I (unlike a lot of people it seems) respect other people's views and religions, even if i am not convinced with their ideas. As the holy Qur'an mentions "You have your religion/views and I have mine"
    Your Prophet Mohammad was the first person to ever popularize the practice of mocking another religion. That was the reason the meccans hated him. :mad:

But since your logic does not agree with Mohammed's practice then I guess Islam is not for you. Get out of that oppressive religion.

"While Muslims feel free to insult Christianity, they themselves go into paroxysms of rage and violence at the slightest hint of criticism of Islam." -Warraq
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As the holy Qur'an mentions "You have your religion/views and I have mine"
    Combine that with this…
    • Quran 006.121
      SHAKIR: And do not eat of that on which Allah's name has not been mentioned, and that is most surely a transgression; and most surely the Shaitans suggest to their friends that they should contend with you; and if you obey them, you shall most surely be polytheists.

And the message you get is.
    • "You have your religion/views and I have mine. But your polytheistic views are Shaitanic.”

Mohammed was such a hypocrite.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would just like to say that due to recent press coverage, most people have the wrong idea about Islam. "islam" itself means peace/submission,
    Islam means submission, NOT peace. Peace is not Submission. Submission is not Peace.

On the contrary from the very beginning Islamic history was wrought with conflict. 3 of your first 4 caliphs, companions of mohammed, was murdered by muslims in cold blood. They had it comming for they were bloody tyrants themselves. Mohammed himself commanded the muslim bandits which drew first blood between the muslims and the meccans. Even today most international conflicts are associated with muslims.

Therefore Islam means BLOODY SUBMISSION.

and just because there are a few extremists does not mean that they represent the whole of the billion number of muslims in this world.
    But extremists permeate the whole ummah like holes through a sponge. The muslimah Irshad Manji even admitted that islam is the only religion where fundamentalism is mainstream.

Plus i believe ETA is a mainly christian organisation and i definitley do NOT believe that all christians act in this manner.
    Those are just Christians that happen to be terrorists. What they do is purely political has NOTHING to do with religion.

Before jumping to conclusions, it is important to read about other people's religions and views, before mentioning your views when knowing nothing.
    Same goes with you my dear. Before judging the critics understand the criticism.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoctorNO)
    Combine that with this…
    • Quran 006.121
      SHAKIR: And do not eat of that on which Allah's name has not been mentioned, and that is most surely a transgression; and most surely the Shaitans suggest to their friends that they should contend with you; and if you obey them, you shall most surely be polytheists.

And the message you get is.
    • "You have your religion/views and I have mine. But your polytheistic views are Shaitanic.”

Mohammed was such a hypocrite.

ah, DoctorNO, everyones favourite Islam-basher..hes just so thorough!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm concerned- If you're a good person, you got nothing to worry about. But, if you're a ****er of a person...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    As far as I'm concerned- If you're a good person, you got nothing to worry about. But, if you're a ****er of a person...
    Well, as long as God agrees with Aliel I guess most of us are in the clear then.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Well, as long as God agrees with Aliel I guess most of us are in the clear then.
    If someone wants to prescribe to a religion, i see no problem with it. I have faith that God would be able to distinguish between a "good"/"bad" atheist/christian/jew/hindu/muslim/sikh-

(Original post by aliel)
    If someone wants to prescribe to a religion, i see no problem with it. I have faith that God would be able to distinguish between a "good"/"bad" atheist/christian/jew/hindu/muslim/sikh-
    Instead of attempting to humanise God, as if *he’s* *somebody* who has feelings and opinions on what is and isn’t good, how about attempting to transcend human limitations, with all its primitive thinking of good and evil, and seek a mystical experience of the divine?

The afterlife afterall, my dear, is not a court of law. To believe otherwise is to project a human social construction that has existed for only 2,000 years on one planet in one solar system in a galaxy of trillions of solar systems, in a universe with trillions of galaxies, in a multiverse with trillions of universes onto the Ultimate.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Be a bugger if God in fact hated good people wouldn't it? Imagine if he actually thinks good people are a bunch of boring bastards and only rewarded the evil. If you didn't behave yourself you might end up in a heavenly beer hall swigging back lager with Hitler. Wouldn't that be bizarre?!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gandalf)
    Instead of attempting to humanise God, as if *he’s* *somebody* who has feelings and opinions on what is and isn’t good, how about attempting to transcend human limitations, with all its primitive thinking of good and evil, and seek a mystical experience of the divine?
    How about a pint instead?
Updated: May 20, 2004
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.