The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Which York College?

Scroll to see replies

When I visited last week it seemed to me/I was told that vanbrugh had the most music
University of York
York
Reply 21
As a student at York, the general consensus about colleges is:
Vanbrugh - for students with an interest in music, with a relatively chill vibe. It's not a particularly big college, so there is a sense of community, and it is definitely the best college (not that I'm biased...)
Derwent - Seem to have a rivalry with most of the other colleges and so tend to stick to themselves, but they are renowned for their parties, however, their accommodation is not of the best standard
James - mainly known as being the 'sporty' college
Halifax - is quite segregated from the rest of the campus, and buses are at inconvenient times, meaning that you will always have a 10/15 minute walks to lectures, which may not seem like a lot, but with how cold and wet it gets here, the walk can be a nightmare
Alcuin - quite near to the chemistry building, but don't tend to mix with the rest of the campus as they are not technically on the main site
Constantine, Goodricke and Langwith - as they are on the other campus, they tend to have a community vibe. Their
campus is new and more like an upmarket housing estate than student accommodation, so there is a great atmosphere there. However, there is only one bar on the other campus for the three colleges, and at the moment, there is no onsite shop or doctors, unlike on the main campus, so you may want to take that into consideration.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter which college you choose, as you will grow to love each one, and will definitely enjoy your time at York. Choose the college based on the standard of accommodation and the facilities you want (ensuite, premium rooms, etc), rather than the reputation of the college, because your time here will be what you make it, and you can take an active role in the running of the college to ensure that it becomes the place that you want it to be.

Hope this helps!!
Original post by 95atimms
Vanbrugh - for students with an interest in music, with a relatively chill vibe. It's not a particularly big college, so there is a sense of community, and it is definitely the best college (not that I'm biased...)
Derwent - Seem to have a rivalry with most of the other colleges and so tend to stick to themselves, but they are renowned for their parties, however, their accommodation is not of the best standard
Halifax - is quite segregated from the rest of the campus, and buses are at inconvenient times, meaning that you will always have a 10/15 minute walks to lectures, which may not seem like a lot, but with how cold and wet it gets here, the walk can be a nightmare
Alcuin - quite near to the chemistry building, but don't tend to mix with the rest of the campus as they are not technically on the main site
Constantine, Goodricke and Langwith - as they are on the other campus, they tend to have a community vibe. Their
campus is new and more like an upmarket housing estate than student accommodation, so there is a great atmosphere there. However, there is only one bar on the other campus for the three colleges, and at the moment, there is no onsite shop or doctors, unlike on the main campus, so you may want to take that into consideration.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter which college you choose, as you will grow to love each one, and will definitely enjoy your time at York. Choose the college based on the standard of accommodation and the facilities you want (ensuite, premium rooms, etc), rather than the reputation of the college, because your time here will be what you make it, and you can take an active role in the running of the college to ensure that it becomes the place that you want it to be.

Hope this helps!!

Thank you very much.:smile:
Will you please, extend a bit your comments on Alcuin(I am a chemist:wink:)
Reply 23
Original post by trubadur
Thank you very much.:smile:
Will you please, extend a bit your comments on Alcuin(I am a chemist:wink:)

Alcuin is a relatively new college, with great facilities and the fact that it is so near to the library means that you always have somewhere quite to go if it gets too wild in your accommodation! It is trying to establish a reputation for being a 'green' college, so focuses on recycling and tries to instil good green habits into it's members daily lives.
The rooms are really nice, and for a chemist, the location is great.
Alcuin is a relatively new college, with great facilities and the fact that it is so near to the library means that you always have somewhere quite to go if it gets too wild in your accommodation! It is trying to establish a reputation for being a 'green' college, so focuses on recycling and tries to instil good green habits into it's members daily lives.
The rooms are really nice, and for a chemist, the location is great.

Thanks a lot:smile: I was a bit confused by.."technically not on main site"
Reply 25
Thanks a lot:smile: I was a bit confused by.."technically not on main site"

By that, they basically mean that you have to cross the road adjacent to the main campus to get to the accommodation! Definitely not far from the central area!
By that, they basically mean that you have to cross the road adjacent to the main campus to get to the accommodation! Definitely not far from the central area!

Got it,thanks:yy:

Hope this helps!!

Don't forget that also, according to the poor methodology of the tab, James is also the best in bed :wink:
Ultimately, it doesn't matter which college you choose, as you will grow to love each one, and will definitely enjoy your time at York.

Thanks for summing it up!

Our accommodation application system opens in May, but you can edit your application up to 31 July so you’ve got plenty of time to consider your options or change your mind.

All our colleges are within easy walking distance to our departments (and you might be taught in different locations across campus) but this map should give you a good idea of where the colleges are located: http://www.york.ac.uk/about/maps/campus/

You can also find more information about how to apply for accommodation here: http://bit.ly/applying-2015

Happy to answer any questions!

AM
what are the colleges ranked in size?
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
what are the colleges ranked in size?

Hi there! Ranked from largest to smallest:

Halifax
Langwith
Constantine
James
Goodricke
Derwent
Vanbrugh
Alcuin
Wentworth (PG only)

AM
Reply 31
Hey. I have firmed my place in York and will be doing Electronics with Music Technilogy systems. Which college would be suitable? Not really a party type of person.
Original post by teemac14
Hey. I have firmed my place in York and will be doing Electronics with Music Technilogy systems. Which college would be suitable? Not really a party type of person.

All colleges have a mix of different students from different courses, so it really depends what is important to you. If you're interested in a particular room type, you can see which colleges offer each room type here: http://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/accommodation/

If you're more interested in the college's personality, our students really shape the social experience of each college so they're definitely the best source of information. There are already a few good posts in this thread and I'm sure you'll get lots more useful replies!

In the meantime, take a look at the college websites: https://www.york.ac.uk/colleges/

And keep an eye out for links to JCR (Junior Common Room) or Student Association websites. They're student-run so they should give you a real feel for the college atmosphere!

AM
Reply 33
Original post by teemac14

Personally, if you want to do anything with music, pick Vanbrugh! It's music facilities are great - there are recording workshops, spaces for you to practice, and equipment for you to use!

Plus, Vanbrugh has quite a chilled out vibe, so if you're not a 'party person', this might be the best for you!
Reply 34
Personally, if you want to do anything with music, pick Vanbrugh! It's music facilities are great - there are recording workshops, spaces for you to practice, and equipment for you to use!

Plus, Vanbrugh has quite a chilled out vibe, so if you're not a 'party person', this might be the best for you!

Awesome. Thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by melloxgal
Hey! I have applied for law and my interview is on the 11th of February. If I were to get an offer, does anyone know which college would be most convenient to get to the law building? I really want en-suite accommodation too. I would definitely like to get involved with freshers week and everything but I am quite anxious about being put in halls where everybody is out drinking every single night. I guess I'll be able to have a look round when I go on the day. I'd like to join dancing societies and I'll probably be auditioning for the York cheerleaders.
Anyone else feeling totally unprepared with accommodation? Aargh! :')

I think Goodricke is closest to the law department.
Reply 36
Alcuin seems to be the most appropriate for chemists:smile:

Hi again (you were on the York offer holders post lmao), yeah i know it is but I quite fancy a party atmosphere. It seems Alcuin has a reputation for being quiet and secluded - definitely not what i want at all...shame as its right next door as well.
Reply 37
Original post by Embolina
Does anybody know which college has the most music (orchestras) and things like that. Or one that is close to Archeology?

I went today. Apaz Vanbragh is very musical...
Also, I wouldn't worry about what is close etc, everything is so close!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow, just looked at the prices and York accommodation is sure as hell expensive
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
Wow, just looked at the prices and York accommodation is sure as hell expensive

A prime example of why SFE is a joke, however, it really isn't actually that bad quality compared to some of what I have seen from friends that is a similar price or not much less.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending