The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Which York College?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jverlaan
I am having trouble choosing a college too.
I am torn between Langwith and James, although they seem to be polar opposites to each other. I liked James because of its central location, catered option and its generally nice community feel (despite being similar, I ruled out Derwent because the nightlife seems a bit too full on).
However, when I saw Langwith, I liked it just as much. It was different, modern and the accommodation and facilities looked incredible (especially the Glasshouse). But Langwith doesn't offer catered food and I can't cook anything, but want to know if this has been an issue for people like me who would probably be challenged to cook up something every meal each day.
I'm not too fussed about having my lectures at Hes West whilst living at Hes East, but any advice and help in making my decision will be hugely appreciated.

Are you at york now? I am hopeing to go there in spetember, and struggling to choose between James and Langwith
University of York
York
Reply 81
Current York Philosophy student here!! Everyone "hating" Derwent is just a joke - Derwent is definitely the best college if you're looking for partying, but Vanbrugh is equally good. Both these colleges are slap bang in the middle of west campus - couldn't have better location. As for being close to department, we actually have lectures all over the west campus of the university so being close to the department isn't a big deal, but either Vanbrugh or Derwent will suit you just fine!
Derwent is cheapest college on campus - but you pay for what you get. Vanbrugh is much more varied in price, and you could either end up with better than Derwent, or worse... However, the people are SO chill and easy to live with - I know people in more expensive colleges have been more likely to have snooty flatmates.
Best of luck!

Original post by paarkerpenn
Hey all,
Just wondering what York college you'd recommend, I know nothing about them.
I'd quite like a party college, (if there is one?) where everyone is quite relaxed and doesn't take life too seriously and are all really nice and friendly (:
I'm studying Philosophy if there is one close to the department, but I'm more concerned with atmosphere rather than convenience..
Thanks xxx
Original post by cpm515
Current York Philosophy student here!! Everyone "hating" Derwent is just a joke - Derwent is definitely the best college if you're looking for partying, but Vanbrugh is equally good. Both these colleges are slap bang in the middle of west campus - couldn't have better location. As for being close to department, we actually have lectures all over the west campus of the university so being close to the department isn't a big deal, but either Vanbrugh or Derwent will suit you just fine!
Derwent is cheapest college on campus - but you pay for what you get. Vanbrugh is much more varied in price, and you could either end up with better than Derwent, or worse... However, the people are SO chill and easy to live with - I know people in more expensive colleges have been more likely to have snooty flatmates.
Best of luck!

Do you know what James is like? x
Reply 83
Original post by LucyH123
Do you know what James is like? x

I posted this on another comment I think you made on another thread but I'll post it here again just in case :smile:

Here's a quick breakdown of all the pros/cons of each college, in my opinion
Ultimately it depends what your course is. But wherever you live you're going to meet a huge mix of people, and you aren't confined to your house by any means! You'll make friends on your course and in any societies you join and these will likely be the bulk of your social life.

Derwent and Vanbrugh:
- Great central location on West Campus. Perfect for most courses, societies, the library and generally a bit more convenient
- Excellent social aspect in terms of drinking and partying, houses the three best bars on campus
- Both very good sporty colleges, despite Vanbrugh's reputation of the "artsy" college - simply a stereotype as Vanbrugh is located near the drama barn and the music department
- Accommodation can be a bit crap, though Vanbrugh also has a very nice courtyard of accommodation blocks (the most expensive option! - main downside is that you have to move out for Easter)
- Most accommodation is 40 weeks meaning you can stay there, or at least keep your stuff there, from when you move in in October until you leave in June/July.

James:
- Also well located on West Campus, right next to the gym if that's your thing
- Also a good social aspect, with one bar nearby and a short walk to Vanbrugh's bar
- Accommodation on the whole of a better quality that Vanbrugh and Derwent, after having being refurbished. Has more ensuite rooms I believe, if that's a factor!

Alcuin:
- Despite their reputation as the boring college I've known lots of crazy Alcuin students, don't let it put you off!
- Has the least duck/goose/swan presence on campus. Believe me, that's a very good thing!! The geese are the spawn of Satan.
- Fairly well located on West Campus, a bit further from the centre than Derwent, Vanbrugh and James.
- Loads of great cafes and stuff, but not much in the way of drinking

Langwith and Goodricke:
- Definitely the best accommodation on campus, though located on East campus which is extremely windy for most of the year.
- No shop over there yet, and have to get the bus to get to the library (about a 15-20 minute walk between campuses, the free bus is usually more convenient)
- There IS a bar though, and a bloody good one. They host a club night every so often too if you don't fancy the trek to town
- Speaking of which, East Campus is a very long way from town. Whereas if you're in Vanbrugh, James or Derwent (maybe Alcuin too) you have the option to walk home from town after a night out instead of forking out for a cab, as it's a 20-30 minute walk, East campus doesn't really have that luxury. This also means if you ever want to go into town you'll probably be using the bus a lot more, might be worth investing in a year-round bus pass

Halifax:
- Great accommodation too, biggest college, about 1000 inhabitants
- Really great social life, but can often run into the danger of only mingling with other Halifaxers as you're so far from the other colleges
- Halifax is about as far from West Campus as East Campus is, though to the South instead.
- Have own shop and cash machine, but no bar. However your accommodation is near the Fulford suburb, which has loads of great pubs. Also not too far from town, and there's a bus route to town.Here's a quick breakdown of all the pros/cons of each college that I've found
Ultimately it depends what your course is. But wherever you live you're going to meet a huge mix of people, and you aren't confined to your house by any means! You'll make friends on your course and in any societies you join and these will likely be the bulk of your social life.

Derwent and Vanbrugh:
- Great central location on West Campus. Perfect for most courses, societies, the library and generally a bit more convenient
- Excellent social aspect in terms of drinking and partying, houses the three best bars on campus
- Both very good sporty colleges, despite Vanbrugh's reputation of the "artsy" college - simply a stereotype as Vanbrugh is located near the drama barn and the music department
- Accommodation can be a bit crap, though Vanbrugh also has a very nice courtyard of accommodation blocks (the most expensive option! - main downside is that you have to move out for Easter)
- Most accommodation is 40 weeks meaning you can stay there, or at least keep your stuff there, from when you move in in October until you leave in June/July.

James:
- Also a good social aspect, with one bar nearby and a short walk to Vanbrugh's bar
- Accommodation on the whole of a better quality that Vanbrugh and Derwent, after having being refurbished. Has more ensuite rooms I believe, if that's a factor!

Alcuin:
- Despite their reputation as the boring college I've known lots of crazy Alcuin students, don't let it put you off!
- Has the least duck/goose/swan presence on campus. Believe me, that's a very good thing!! The geese are the spawn of Satan.
- Fairly well located on West Campus, a bit further from the centre than Derwent, Vanbrugh and James.

Langwith and Goodricke:
- Definitely the best accommodation on campus, though located on East campus which is extremely windy for most of the year.
- No shop over there yet, and have to get the bus to get to the library (about a 15-20 minute walk between campuses, the free bus is usually more convenient)
- There IS a bar though, and a bloody good one. They host a club night every so often too if you don't fancy the trek to town
- Speaking of which, East Campus is a very long way from town. Whereas if you're in Vanbrugh, James or Derwent (maybe Alcuin too) you have the option to walk home from town after a night out instead of forking out for a cab, as it's a 20-30 minute walk, East campus doesn't really have that luxury. This also means if you ever want to go into town you'll probably be using the bus a lot more, might be worth investing in a year-round bus pass

Halifax:
- Really great social life, but can often run into the danger of only mingling with other Halifaxers as you're so far from the other colleges
- Halifax is about as far from West Campus as East Campus is, though to the South instead.
- Have own shop and cash machine, but no bar. However your accommodation is near the Fulford suburb, which has loads of great pubs. Also not too far from town, and there's a bus route to town.
Original post by cpm515
I posted this on another comment I think you made on another thread but I'll post it here again just in case :smile:

Here's a quick breakdown of all the pros/cons of each college, in my opinion

Derwent and Vanbrugh:

James:

Alcuin:

Langwith and Goodricke:

Halifax:
- Have own shop and cash machine, but no bar. However your accommodation is near the Fulford suburb, which has loads of great pubs. Also not too far from town, and there's a bus route to town.Here's a quick breakdown of all the pros/cons of each college that I've found

Derwent and Vanbrugh:

James:

Alcuin:

Langwith and Goodricke:

Halifax:
- Have own shop and cash machine, but no bar. However your accommodation is near the Fulford suburb, which has loads of great pubs. Also not too far from town, and there's a bus route to town.

Wow thank you so much that's so helpful!! I'm think Vanbrugh? I would go for self catered ensuite accommodation. Would you say it's pretty good/average accommodation with a good party life? I'm not at all musical but very sporty I don't know if that matters!!
Reply 85
Self-catered ensuite - which price/number of weeks are you looking at? If it's the 35 weeks (and more expensive option), their accommodation is really really lovely, up there with the best on campus. You'd be right next to the department and a short walk from the sports centre (with the cheaper campus gym), you'd have a lovely outdoor space in front of the accommodation which is great in summer for barbecues and generally chilling, you're as close as you can be to town, but if you fancy the bus instead the bus stop is basically right outside too.

If it's the cheaper option, the accommodation is alright. I think the very worst of it went through refurbishment this year though so actually most of Vanbrugh should be at least alright to live in. Wherever you are though, the location is perfect. The library, gym, lecture theatres you'll be in for Philosophy, department, shops are all 5-10 minutes walk from anywhere in Vanbrugh. And if you need help finding anything, the centre of campus is the place to find it!

Vanbrugh as a whole has good socials - I know their freshers week tends to include the most dress-up events. Their bar is usually a bit emptier and less crazy than the Derwent ones (mainly because it doesn't show sports fixtures!), and they host a jazz night every week and do quizzes and stuff.
Every college has plenty of opportunities for every sport, no matter how good you are.

The one negative I have about Vanbrugh is that the college porters aren't 24-hour - meaning you might be locked out of your room or you might have a parcel you need to collect and they might not be there. But that's very small thing, barely noticeable.
The other thing is that Vanbrugh, with Derwent, is home to most of the geese. And they will poo EVERYWHERE. And quite possibly chase you. At which point you run for your life.

Wow thank you so much that's so helpful!! I'm think Vanbrugh? I would go for self catered ensuite accommodation. Would you say it's pretty good/average accommodation with a good party life? I'm not at all musical but very sporty I don't know if that matters!!
Original post by cpm515
Self-catered ensuite - which price/number of weeks are you looking at? If it's the 35 weeks (and more expensive option), their accommodation is really really lovely, up there with the best on campus. You'd be right next to the department and a short walk from the sports centre (with the cheaper campus gym), you'd have a lovely outdoor space in front of the accommodation which is great in summer for barbecues and generally chilling, you're as close as you can be to town, but if you fancy the bus instead the bus stop is basically right outside too.

If it's the cheaper option, the accommodation is alright. I think the very worst of it went through refurbishment this year though so actually most of Vanbrugh should be at least alright to live in. Wherever you are though, the location is perfect. The library, gym, lecture theatres you'll be in for Philosophy, department, shops are all 5-10 minutes walk from anywhere in Vanbrugh. And if you need help finding anything, the centre of campus is the place to find it!

Vanbrugh as a whole has good socials - I know their freshers week tends to include the most dress-up events. Their bar is usually a bit emptier and less crazy than the Derwent ones (mainly because it doesn't show sports fixtures!), and they host a jazz night every week and do quizzes and stuff.
Every college has plenty of opportunities for every sport, no matter how good you are.

The one negative I have about Vanbrugh is that the college porters aren't 24-hour - meaning you might be locked out of your room or you might have a parcel you need to collect and they might not be there. But that's very small thing, barely noticeable.
The other thing is that Vanbrugh, with Derwent, is home to most of the geese. And they will poo EVERYWHERE. And quite possibly chase you. At which point you run for your life.

Well on the website there is only one standard Vanbrugh option that is self catered and ensuite which is £135. Maybe you choose the number of weeks when I choose my accommodation on the 9th may? But then at the top of the page it says - £135-£144 per week. I would prefer the more expensive one of I can get that!! I would be doing geography so I hope it's quite close too! It sounds like a really good college - a mix of everything really? I don't think the porter thing would worry me too much but thanks for letting me know. So would you defo not recommend hes east?
Is the nice Vanbrugh college called - Donald Barron Court, Houses A - C, and Barbara Scott Court, Houses D - F

Thanks x
Reply 87
Well on the website there is only one standard Vanbrugh option that is self catered and ensuite which is £135. Maybe you choose the number of weeks when I choose my accommodation on the 9th may? But then at the top of the page it says - £135-£144 per week. I would prefer the more expensive one of I can get that!! I would be doing geography so I hope it's quite close too! It sounds like a really good college - a mix of everything really? I don't think the porter thing would worry me too much but thanks for letting me know. So would you defo not recommend hes east?
Is the nice Vanbrugh college called - Donald Barron Court, Houses A - C, and Barbara Scott Court, Houses D - F

Thanks x

Yes that'll be it, Donald Barron and Barbara Scott! Yeah should be fine for geography, I think they built a new environmental geography building just last year on West Campus so that's where your lectures should be based...
I wouldn't dissuade anyone from choosing Hes East, but it can be a little less convenient if your lectures aren't based there. Plus, I think Hes West students get integrated a lot quicker into where everything is at the uni and everything, plus you have easy access to the library, the information centre and the Student's Union, plus (most importantly) you're in walking distance of 4 bars so you ave the luxury of choice!
Reply 88
Original post by magnitudezero
Yeah it's not on campus, I'm not sure how far the walk is (everything looks pretty close together on google maps, but then it has to else it wouldn't all fit on my monitor), if I get into York I think I might try to get Halifax, I'd rather live on the campus but it's the only college that seems to offer 51 week lets.

Apparently you can get a 40/44 week let and then change rooms for the summer.
Reply 89
I was quite taken with Constantine, but I don't think I can afford to live there. Student finance think my parents are well off so won't give me the full maintenance loan even though I'm almost 24 and my parents wouldn't dream of paying anything towards my education...
Reply 90
Hello! I'll be studying Marketing, starting this October, and I still can't decide where I want to live. I'm thinking either Vanbrugh or Goodricke as I like both but I'm not sure which is better. I'm not that much of a drinker, I prefer something a bit quieter, though I don't mind going out every now and then and I'd like to find a job (probably in the city i guess). What do you think is the better option for me? Thanks.
Original post by borislav
Hello! I'll be studying Marketing, starting this October, and I still can't decide where I want to live. I'm thinking either Vanbrugh or Goodricke as I like both but I'm not sure which is better. I'm not that much of a drinker, I prefer something a bit quieter, though I don't mind going out every now and then and I'd like to find a job (probably in the city i guess). What do you think is the better option for me? Thanks.

Both of those would work... They are on different campuses (Goodricke is on the more-isolated Hes East campus) so it depends which one of those you prefer. No college is going to give you an advantage in getting a job, but if you do ever go out then Vanbrugh might be better as it's easier to get to town from Hes West campus.

Both aren't hugely loud colleges. If you really want quiet, try Alcuin. Although, Goodricke's newer, pricey accommodation has less intra-block socialising than Vanbrugh?
Reply 92
Original post by jonnynoctu
Both of those would work... They are on different campuses (Goodricke is on the more-isolated Hes East campus) so it depends which one of those you prefer. No college is going to give you an advantage in getting a job, but if you do ever go out then Vanbrugh might be better as it's easier to get to town from Hes West campus.

Both aren't hugely loud colleges. If you really want quiet, try Alcuin. Although, Goodricke's newer, pricey accommodation has less intra-block socialising than Vanbrugh?

Thank you for your answer. What I had in mind was that I prefer an easier way to get into town. But then there is the distance to the course building, so I really don't know.
So I firmed for Biology the other day and I have absolutely no idea when it comes to the college system thing. I'm stuck between Alcuin and Vanbrugh based on the autumn open day and offer holders open day and I was hoping for some pros and cons of each? I'm not really all for loads of parties and I generally want somewhere that's does self catered and is friendly but not miles away from the department. I also do a lot of music stuff so if either of them is good for that it would be fab. I'm not too worried about the cost because I'm going to be in piled of debt by the end anyway so why not be in even more!

Thanks x
Original post by borislav
Thank you for your answer. What I had in mind was that I prefer an easier way to get into town. But then there is the distance to the course building, so I really don't know.

My friends on Hes East have to do a daily bus trip to get to lectures every day. If you're lazy like me it might be more difficult to get to lectures. Sometimes I've woken up 5 minutes beforehand and made it, because my accommodation is so close to Central Hall, V/045 and P/X/001.

Original post by emmythemermaid
So I firmed for Biology the other day and I have absolutely no idea when it comes to the college system thing. I'm stuck between Alcuin and Vanbrugh based on the autumn open day and offer holders open day and I was hoping for some pros and cons of each? I'm not really all for loads of parties and I generally want somewhere that's does self catered and is friendly but not miles away from the department. I also do a lot of music stuff so if either of them is good for that it would be fab. I'm not too worried about the cost because I'm going to be in piled of debt by the end anyway so why not be in even more!

Thanks x

Closest college to Biology is Vanbrugh.
It sounds like you'll like Vanbrugh the best out of those two because it's not a crazy party college, but isn't antisocial (like Alcuin). Vanbrugh also has this really awful logo of two keyboards shaped in a V to emphasise its "Music Focus" or whatever, and there's college bands and things which you might enjoy joining.
Reply 95
Is Alcuin really such a quiet college? I have firmed for History and had considered it my top choice, with Vanbrugh as my second. I don't really drink/big party person, but I'd feel stifled without a healthy social life! Anyone know how their freshers events compare?
Original post by Esther98
Is Alcuin really such a quiet college? I have firmed for History and had considered it my top choice, with Vanbrugh as my second. I don't really drink/big party person, but I'd feel stifled without a healthy social life! Anyone know how their freshers events compare?

I think they were a bit **** this year. Actually I have no clue. But it is quiet: it's a self-fulfilling stereotype because the quiet people hear about it and go there, and the louder people stay away. I'm sure if you end up in Alcuin you'll still have fun.
Original post by Esther98

I'm in Alcuin and, while I am a 'quiet person' (=not into clubbing, prefer other things), I know people here who go out most days of the week and there are blocks known as 'party blocks' which is nothing to do with the blocks themselves and more to do with the people currently in them. I mostly chose it because of the location and accommodation standard and I really like living here - it's close to campus and the library but you don't get people tramping through your accommodation all the time.
The freshers events were good, I thought, but I only went to two before I came down with horrendous freshers flu so I was housebound for most of it. Alcuin is in no way a hindrance to a good social life - a lot of my friends from other colleges often come here to hang out. Your college stereotype doesn't determine how much of a social life you have. I can tell you that for sure.
Reply 98
How is Halifax? Is it as social as Derwent, which they say to be the best for this? I'm a very sporty and social person and I've heard Halifax is famous for the at least the sports side, correct me if I'm wrong.
Also I'm wondering how different the Economy room is from the Standard one. 20 pounds a week are indeed something.

Thanks!
Original post by Adrono
How is Halifax? Is it as social as Derwent, which they say to be the best for this? I'm a very sporty and social person and I've heard Halifax is famous for the at least the sports side, correct me if I'm wrong.
Also I'm wondering how different the Economy room is from the Standard one. 20 pounds a week are indeed something.

Thanks!

Famous for the sports side? I'm not sure that's entirely true. James is the 'Sports' one, as it's right next to the gym. James is also fairly social too, so I'd recommend that for you.
I'm in an economy Derwent block (ensuite catered) and it's fine, it's perfectly liveable. Standard might mean you are in a newer block; mine isn't particularly fancy. I'm sure you'll learn to live with either just fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending