Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

UCAS Point Confusion

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Evening All,

I am trying to work out my UCAS points and it's doing my nuts in... Sorry!
    I didn't do v well at school and got only 3 GCSE c+ and 1 A level grade d. I finished my HND in Business Information Technology recently and was rewarded with a distinction. I am now coming to a climax with the top up degree course of the same title.

Can anyone tell me how many points i have and does the HND carry any point values and if so how many ?

Mucho Gracias
    (Watching BBC2 Talk Spanish!!!!)

v
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The HND carries no UCAS points value, as it is a higher education qualification and not a further education qualification. It is (theoretically) above the level of A-Levels, Highers, AVCEs and the like.

Your grade D at A-Levels woud carry a points value of 60. Your GCSEs don't contribute. So unless you also have AS-Levels, your points tally is 60.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    The HND carries no UCAS points value, as it is a higher education qualification and not a further education qualification. It is (theoretically) above the level of A-Levels, Highers, AVCEs and the like.

Your grade D at A-Levels woud carry a points value of 60. Your GCSEs don't contribute. So unless you also have AS-Levels, your points tally is 60.
    Not much then

Thanks XtinaA 4 points on the old system. I really don't understand y they change the tarrif system. Maybe it's to make people like me feel better with 60 rather than a measly 4 points !!!

V
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's to make it easier to accomodate equivalent qualifications such as the Scottish Highers and Advanced Highers, AVCEs, GNVQs and the rest.

On the bright side you have a HND. If you're looking to do a degree this may give you some sort of edge.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    HND doesn't carry any points. All you need is good grades on the HND course to go onto a top up degree course.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by villarde)
    Not much then

Thanks XtinaA 4 points on the old system. I really don't understand y they change the tarrif system. Maybe it's to make people like me feel better with 60 rather than a measly 4 points !!!

V
    It lets them give a small number of points to less/non academic qualifications. I think you can get a few UCAS points for passing high instrument grades.
    If you have a HND, then I think that would be the focus of your qualifications, rather than any A levels, GCSEs, etc. as it is at a higher level.
Updated: May 11, 2004
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.