Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Foundation centre applications and offer holders 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Trisvette
I will be officially 19 on the first day and really feel embarrass if I'm the oldest in class:frown:
Btw, I got an offer of Law with foundation from St. Chad's.

I wouldn't worry! I'll be in most of your classes and I'm 24! From talking to people I have a feeling we'll actually be amongst the youngest
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Arcyyy
I wouldn't worry! I'll be in most of your classes and I'm 24! From talking to people I have a feeling we'll actually be amongst the youngest

Lol, you really don't need to worry about age, expect to meet students at the foundation centre between 18 and 80, I my self was patrolling the streets of Northern Ireland 25 years ago, you'll learn as much about life as you will about your accademic subject.
Best wishes
Reply 142
Hey, I received an offer to study the BA History with a Foundation Year at Durham. Off on a campus tour on Wednesday to see what the Uni is like. I know that it's the top uni the UK to study History but still debating whether to choose it as my final choice. Bit unsure what the class will be like and how achievable it is to get on to the degree level. Would be cool to chat with some other people taking the course this year :cool:
Hello all,

I'm a current Foundation year student (Computer Science) at Durham. I'm also 24 and live in college - Castle.

If anyone has any questions then fire away. I can tell you about the all the content for Comp Sci and most of the content for Physics and Engineering as well as some about Chemistry.

Also anything anyone wants to know about general life in Durham or college or being a "mature" student.
Original post by nathanjgiles
Hello all,

I'm a current Foundation year student (Computer Science) at Durham. I'm also 24 and live in college - Castle.

If anyone has any questions then fire away. I can tell you about the all the content for Comp Sci and most of the content for Physics and Engineering as well as some about Chemistry.

Also anything anyone wants to know about general life in Durham or college or being a "mature" student.

Hey there,
I'll be 24 when I start at Durham too... I was just wondering how you found living in college as a mature student? :smile:
Just got my offer for archaeology with foundation, think I need a beer now :smile: see you in October :smile:
Reply 146
Feel like I'm intruding on a conversation as an outsider :') But you guys all seem so nice. Basically I went to see the Uni yesterday and LOVED it. Definitely going there now. I've been allocated St Mary's college. Anyone else staying there? From a phone call I had with Colette (lovely woman) -who teaches the course, all the History, Archaeology and Politics students will be in a class together. Apparently there's about 10 History students-- It'll be cool to start to get know everyone before hand, hope you feel the same :tongue:
- AlexG94, I'm in St Mary's too :biggrin: Starting a Archaeology foundation course so we may have a few classes together? Where abouts in Sussex are you? I'm in East Sussex, near to Hastings :smile:

- samsalin, congratulations, I'm so glad you got a place! :biggrin:
Reply 148
Ahhh that's cool! I had a tour around St Mary's yesterday feeling very old so its good to know there's going to be a mixture of ages! Oooo archaeology I bet that's fascinating, love a bit of Time Team :wink: But yeah from what I understand us history and archaeology students will have classes together. And I'm from West Sussex, near (ish) to Gatwick Airport. How are you feeling about moving all the way up North? :')
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Arcyyy

Original post by samsalin
Lol, you really don't need to worry about age, expect to meet students at the foundation centre between 18 and 80, I my self was patrolling the streets of Northern Ireland 25 years ago, you'll learn as much about life as you will about your accademic subject.
Best wishes

Thanks a lot. Seems everyone in Durham is nice :smile:
Original post by AlexG94
Ahhh that's cool! I had a tour around St Mary's yesterday feeling very old so its good to know there's going to be a mixture of ages! Oooo archaeology I bet that's fascinating, love a bit of Time Team :wink: But yeah from what I understand us history and archaeology students will have classes together. And I'm from West Sussex, near (ish) to Gatwick Airport. How are you feeling about moving all the way up North? :')

Haha, Time Team was the best, so gutted it's not on anymore!
What do you want to do after you've gotten your history degree? :biggrin:
I'm pretty excited to be moving up North, Durham is beautiful :biggrin:
How about you, are you looking forward to moving?
Reply 151
Ah well, perhaps you should bring it back when you graduate? :wink:
Not really sure what I will do, but I hope to work in London, perhaps at some historical site like the Tower of London. That would be awesome. :biggrin:
And I'm really excited, hadn't been up north until the other day, going to be somewhere new to explore :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RachArch
Hey there,
I'll be 24 when I start at Durham too... I was just wondering how you found living in college as a mature student? :smile:

Living in college is really fun. Admittedly the first week or two it was hard to get used to the age gap but it quickly becomes unimportant as you get to know people. Although freshers are mostly 18/19 at durham they are all obviously very intelligent people so some are more mature than you would think. Plus you will regress slightly too :wink:

Joining clubs or societies gives you easy access to the older years too, as does generally being around college frequently (for bailey colleges anyway, I can't imagine too many people trek up to the hill colleges from the viaduct for a drink in their college bar).
AlexG94 - That's not a bad idea :wink:
Working at the Tower of London would be amazing! Or somewhere like the British Museum :biggrin:

nathanjgiles - Thank you for your reply, I'm definitely looking forward to regressing a year or two! :wink::biggrin:
Original post by nathanjgiles
Living in college is really fun. Admittedly the first week or two it was hard to get used to the age gap but it quickly becomes unimportant as you get to know people. Although freshers are mostly 18/19 at durham they are all obviously very intelligent people so some are more mature than you would think. Plus you will regress slightly too :wink:

Joining clubs or societies gives you easy access to the older years too, as does generally being around college frequently (for bailey colleges anyway, I can't imagine too many people trek up to the hill colleges from the viaduct for a drink in their college bar).

I worked with the first year archaeology students on field work placement last summer, thought I'd test it out as I'm over twice the age of most students. Have to say I was impressed with them (apart from sloppy archaeology which you expect from first years) they were all lovely and made me feel most welcome. Having said that I'm happy I won't be living in student accomadation, I need my sleep these days :wink:
Original post by AlexG94
Hey, I received an offer to study the BA History with a Foundation Year at Durham. Off on a campus tour on Wednesday to see what the Uni is like. I know that it's the top uni the UK to study History but still debating whether to choose it as my final choice. Bit unsure what the class will be like and how achievable it is to get on to the degree level. Would be cool to chat with some other people taking the course this year :cool:

Ah a fellow historian. I see you've made up your mind with Durham and have been allocated to St Marys! I've been allocated the same, I'm super excited.
Hello guys!

Sorry for jumping on board the foundation train late but I've just had my offer through to start in October. Criminology.

hurrah!
Reply 157
Original post by Maturestudent
Ah a fellow historian. I see you've made up your mind with Durham and have been allocated to St Marys! I've been allocated the same, I'm super excited.

Ah sweet! Nice to know there will be other foundation students at St Mary's. I'm super excited as well! You coming from far?
Original post by elliecat
Hello guys!

Sorry for jumping on board the foundation train late but I've just had my offer through to start in October. Criminology.

hurrah!

Congratulations! :biggrin:
Do you know which college you are at yet? :smile:
Reply 159
Original post by elliecat
Hello guys!

hurrah!

Don't worry I was on that late train too :wink: Everyone seems to be very welcoming though!

Quick Reply

Latest