The Student Room Group

Physics revision tips.

Recently I have been frustrated with my revision as I have done all the past papers available to me and gone through my notes and textbook several times and I still feel like I haven't made any progress as I keep getting the same grade and some physic concepts are very confusing and complicated to understand by word to word.

Does anyone have any useful tips for revision or can recommend any youtube channels that are good at explaining the concepts?

If you're struggling on certain concepts then your best bet is probably to ask your teacher or even on TSR if you're after a specific explanation of something. I'm sure if you post saying exactly what you don't get then someone should be able to help. Unfortunately physics (even at degree level sometimes) is fraught with overly simplified explanations which don't necessarily make sense until you understand the topic a bit deeper.

My method was read notes and do past papers then read up on anything I didn't understand or got wrong (if I had the mark scheme), I did this for the 7 years I studied physics and it worked for me, but it seems this doesn't work for you.

Another method I sometimes used would be to re-write the textbook or revision book in note form. The process of doing this forces you to register each sentence and pick out what really matters. Then by writing it you more consciously think about the words and it helps me remember. Not only that, but you end up with a more concise version of the textbook for reference and quick reading.
Reply 2
Original post by Manitude
If you're struggling on certain concepts then your best bet is probably to ask your teacher or even on TSR if you're after a specific explanation of something. I'm sure if you post saying exactly what you don't get then someone should be able to help. Unfortunately physics (even at degree level sometimes) is fraught with overly simplified explanations which don't necessarily make sense until you understand the topic a bit deeper.

My method was read notes and do past papers then read up on anything I didn't understand or got wrong (if I had the mark scheme), I did this for the 7 years I studied physics and it worked for me, but it seems this doesn't work for you.

Another method I sometimes used would be to re-write the textbook or revision book in note form. The process of doing this forces you to register each sentence and pick out what really matters. Then by writing it you more consciously think about the words and it helps me remember. Not only that, but you end up with a more concise version of the textbook for reference and quick reading.

Yeah that is my main form of revision and it always works for me but, lately I lose easy marks and for things I didn't realize about the question. I guess I should probably keep practicing till it's perfect :smile:

Thanks for the advice :biggrin:
I tend to write notes for physics, and do past papers as you've already said. Marking past papers can sometimes be almost as beneficial as doing them (although perhaps get your teacher to do a couple so you have an impartial opinion), so that you can see where you've gone wrong and exactly what should have been said. Some people then do the papers again to improve which I personally have never done but particularly for the longer answer questions (unless they're repeated!) I could see the benefit of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by furryface12
I tend to write notes for physics, and do past papers as you've already said. Marking past papers can sometimes be almost as beneficial as doing them (although perhaps get your teacher to do a couple so you have an impartial opinion), so that you can see where you've gone wrong and exactly what should have been said. Some people then do the papers again to improve which I personally have never done but particularly for the longer answer questions (unless they're repeated!) I could see the benefit of.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I guess I better try them out again. HA physics is hard work :frown:
Original post by MSB47
Yeah I guess I better try them out again. HA physics is hard work :frown:

Have you tried some legacy questions, or even those from different exam boards? They won't all be relevant but you'll know which aren't and it's probably better than doing all of your own ones again at this stage and your understanding will still be improved. Thinking about it if your marks aren't going up the way you're doing it it's possibly time to try a different method...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Posted from TSR Mobile

what are legacy questions and I was thinking of doing exam question from other boards I guesa I'll give it a go.
Original post by MSB47
Posted from TSR Mobile

what are legacy questions and I was thinking of doing exam question from other boards I guesa I'll give it a go.

Questions from previous syllabus, so pre-2010 in my board's case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Post it notes or flash cards should literally be your best friend. The amount of definitions you need to know it's helpful to just write them down and test yourself.
Reply 9
Original post by furryface12
Questions from previous syllabus, so pre-2010 in my board's case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh ok I should try that then, thanks. :smile:

Original post by Astroace
Post it notes or flash cards should literally be your best friend. The amount of definitions you need to know it's helpful to just write them down and test yourself.

Yeah I have made a few flash cards they're very effective for revision.

Quick Reply

Latest