The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

MSc Health Psychology 2015

Hi,

Just accepted a provisional offer at Surrey for the full time MSc in Health Psychology, though I also have an offer at Bath and keep vacillating about which programme is the best fit. At the moment Surrey has the edge, in some ways I wish I didn't have a choice :-)

Anyway, looking forward to speaking to any other students starting this masters in 2015.

Mark

edit, well decision made, its Surrey for me :-)
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi meanderlight. I have just applied to Bath to do the MSc in Health Psychology. Although I got a first, my work experience is a bit shaky, I'm not sure if they will see it as relevant. Can I ask what work experience you had and whether you had an interview at Bath, or an offer without interview? Thanks!
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by kealey101
I have just applied to Bath............ Can I ask what work experience you had and whether you had an interview at Bath, or an offer without interview? Thanks!

Hi, like you I applied with a 1st. My previous health related work experience consisted of 12 months working as an outreach support worker for an autism charity. Prior to that I have experience working for the NSPCC.

I had a telephone interview, hope that helps and good luck

Regards Mark
G'day guys! Thank god someone doing health psych lol. I am applying from australia and couldn't choose between Bath, Surrey, and UWE? - darn difficult to choose one uni based on the Infos online.... Frustrated.

Can you guys tell me which uni is the best out of 3? I value work placement and support from the supervisor specially for SPSS use!

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from ya guys !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OzantheAussie
G'day guys! Thank god someone doing health psych lol. I am applying from australia and couldn't choose between Bath, Surrey, and UWE? - darn difficult to choose one uni based on the Infos online.... Frustrated.

Can you guys tell me which uni is the best out of 3? I value work placement and support from the supervisor specially for SPSS use!

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from ya guys !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

As to which uni is best, well that's a question. Firstly, in the interest of openness, I never considered UWE, so I won't comment on it.

I'd be a little cautious of relying totally on league tables as they are very undergrad-centric however they do provide a general indication, on that basis Bath and Surrey are performing well with Bath slightly ahead but with Surrey making the greater recent improvements.

To my mind the more important thing is the quality of their respective psychology post grad experience and should you be looking ahead to a PhD the research interests of the academic staff in each department.

If you value the work placement opportunity then Bath is the obvious choice, though it is worth telephoning Bath to get a better understand how that process works, I did, they were very helpful. Surrey on the other hand has an added module of CBT which as the therapy of choice in the UK would be useful knowledge in many health psychology interventions. I would personally advocate ringing both departments and having a chat.

I struggled with the decision, but whatever you choose I don't thing there is a poor choice between Bath or Surrey.

Both are campus uni's, Bath has a pond and Surrey a lake, the water should help an Aussie feel at home, lol :-)

Mark
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the reply, really much appreciated. I have emailed them both (phoning is expensive as well as it's in poor quality and the time difference is really ridiculous too).

I didn't mention before, but I need to complete my 2nd year master in australia to be given equivalency (masters are 2 years training here). So the grade I will get from the uk are highly significant, getting passes or credits won't work for me. So the universities that have stingy markers won't be a smart choice for me really even though the education is brilliant. :wink:

Having a 2:2 masters from the UK has no equivalency for me in that case. So a at least a good class honours as in 2:1 I think that is how u guys rate it in UK is highly necessary.

Any advice on that part? Oh and of course PhDs is always on the cards but I guess I will decide about that once completed my masters lol. Lastly have u started ur course already?

PS. U r right about If the city has water then it definitely is a bonus :wink:

Thanks a lot In advance.

Ozan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Ozan

I am applying to Bath because I live there and as a mature student with a family, I can't exactly go off and live somewhere else for a year! I have heard really good things about Surrey and I know someone who studied Health Psychology at UWE and rated it highly, their argument that the course there was more 'applied' than others (I didn't explore what he meant by this, I would have thought any course would have a relatively applied focus).

I've not heard of some places being stingier with marks than others. I would have thought it was all fairly standardised. But of course I might be wrong!

All the best

Katharine
Hi Katherine,

I had a friend who recently graduated from UWE in health psych and she was very encouraging. But she said eventhou they advertised it as with placement components within the course, they didn't get any! That's what shocked me :frown:

But she did mention about the supportive staff and other things were pretty good. However bath is well known uni I gathered. As I work with couple English guys here, they did tell me bath is awesome... But yeh...

Decisions decisions.... R u commencing this September 2015 at bath ? Or u haven't applied yet ?

Ozan

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've recently applied. I'm not overly confident though as I don't think my work experience will be deemed specifically 'health' enough. We will see..

Bath is a beautiful city, I can vouch for that!

Katharine
Wow, u sure are early, I am planing to apply in March or April force September intake.

I think there is some scholarships for early applicants. Have u checked that out?

Ozan

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending