The Student Room Group

What should I take for A-levels?

I'm in Year 11, and have already chosen my options, however I keep changing my mind and am not happy with my option choices. I chose English Lit, History, German and Gov & politics.

I know I definitely want to take History, but for English I was wondering if it would be too hard for me. I am predicted A for both English lit and lang but I got a B in both for my mocks. I'm just not sure if I'll be good enough for it, though I would like to have an English A Level on my CV plus I enjoy it.

Secondly, I can't decide which language to take out of German and French, or both. German I chose because I enjoy it a little bit more and I find it the most interesting, however the language of French appeals to me a lot more and my accent is better in French. Also, my mum speaks French so would be able to help me all the time.
I think I just chose German also because I wanted to be independent and be able to succeed without my mum's help, but I really enjoy French and German, so should I take both and drop politics, or is it too difficult?

Lastly, I think I will change Politics to something like RS because I enjoy it and I feel that politics might be irrelevant if I'm not actually going into politics when I'm older.

So, should I change to German and French (and drop one at AS) - or just one language and RS for AS?
Original post by stellaf
I'm in Year 11, and have already chosen my options, however I keep changing my mind and am not happy with my option choices. I chose English Lit, History, German and Gov & politics.

I know I definitely want to take History, but for English I was wondering if it would be too hard for me. I am predicted A for both English lit and lang but I got a B in both for my mocks. I'm just not sure if I'll be good enough for it, though I would like to have an English A Level on my CV plus I enjoy it.

Secondly, I can't decide which language to take out of German and French, or both. German I chose because I enjoy it a little bit more and I find it the most interesting, however the language of French appeals to me a lot more and my accent is better in French. Also, my mum speaks French so would be able to help me all the time.
I think I just chose German also because I wanted to be independent and be able to succeed without my mum's help, but I really enjoy French and German, so should I take both and drop politics, or is it too difficult?

Lastly, I think I will change Politics to something like RS because I enjoy it and I feel that politics might be irrelevant if I'm not actually going into politics when I'm older.

So, should I change to German and French (and drop one at AS) - or just one language and RS for AS?

Seriously just take subjects your interested in and enjoy, ideally facilitating subjects as unis like them more. I only got a B and a C in English at GCSE and I took english lit because I enjoyed it and now I'm an A/B grade so anything is possible. I would only take one language as you would probably get really confused and 1 language will be hard enough! Take history because by the sound of it you really enjoy it and then just pick a 4th alevel that you like and that your good at.

Quick Reply

Latest