The Student Room Group

which is mroe suited to me?

i am in a right old dilemma, im currently a maths student at UCL and im finding it pretty hard. and i always ask for help on homeworks and nearly jsut copy it.
im thinking of doing econ, because i think ti may be more interesting than maths, maths has lost its appeal to me and people say you cant do well in something that you dont like, i have had no expierence with econ other than as econ and business (nuffiend) and just want to know what i should do. i think my grades can get me into most unis and i did maths bio and chem. i think i will need to speak to a tutor. but i dont know waht to say.i kinda want to apply for something like econ either at UCL or at another uni. but if i pass my first year at UCL then i will probably stay there.
the only thing thats keeping me at UCL is that i know it will be worth it when i graduate. its the reputation at UCL thats attracted me.
what degrees do you guys think will be "easier", i heard that maths is the hardest degree around. does anyone think there is like a league table for difficulty ofdegrees based on pass rate? im aiming for a 2.1 so that i can go into financial services.
also with UCL being one of the best unis around, you think that if i went to a "lower" uni it may be better???
thanks a lot for any advice.
Vincent
Reply 1
why don't you go and talk to your person tutor (or equivilant) and ask if there is anyway for you to transfer courses from maths to economics rather than starting from scratch?
Reply 2
i emailed the econ department and they are full they said. also i would be extremely behind.
Reply 3
vincent
i emailed the econ department and they are full they said. also i would be extremely behind.

you could ask if you could join the first year next year providing that you pass your first year of your maths degree or something like that. I know someone who did something similar but with different subjects.
Reply 4
you think that they would let me join the first year if i take like an unplanned gap year? or will i have to reapply via ucas?
Reply 5
vincent
you think that they would let me join the first year if i take like an unplanned gap year? or will i have to reapply via ucas?

I'd go and talk to ure personal tutor (who may have some links with tutors down in economics too) and explain this to them and then try to book a meeting or something with someone important in the economics department and ask if on condition that you pass this yr in maths could you start at point1 again in Economics, they may be very willing to let you do this, be willing to do stuff they ask you like sit a test or something if only jsut to see you aptitude for the subject etc etc. BUt yeh go for it internally adn defo talk to ure PErsonal tutor they will probably have good links with lecturers and stuff in the econ department.

Latest

Trending

Trending