The Student Room Group

When to apply for Sixth Form (in a different school than where I did secondary)

When shall I apply to Sixth Form? People are saying I should just do it in Summer once I get my results from GCSEs, but now I am not so sure. Please reassure me. Thanks.
Most sixth form closing dates would have been December/January,
Its a little bit late now. Maybe apply to colleges or appeal/ask the sixth form?
Reply 2
Original post by Jasminem97
Most sixth form closing dates would have been December/January,
Its a little bit late now. Maybe apply to colleges or appeal/ask the sixth form?

Really??? Really?!? Our school careers adviser specifically said that we should apply for Sixth form once we get our GCSE results...
Reply 3
My school don't open applications until February for sixth form, but that's in N.Ireland.
Reply 4
Original post by CescaD96
My school don't open applications until February for sixth form, but that's in N.Ireland.

That's t I would pretty much expect, at the earliest..
Reply 5
Original post by DerMann
That's t I would pretty much expect, at the earliest..

It makes sense because my school is not focusing on us ones applying for ucas anymore because the deadline is passed and so they can turn a bit of attention to the fifth years for a while. :smile:
I had applied to all of my colleges and sixth forms that I wanted to go to round about this time last year but I had it already sorted by the time I got my GCSE results I had already been accepted and had to pick which one I wanted to go to but I had a place in them all already you won't get a place it you apply after your GCSE results or even after you have taken the exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DerMann
Really??? Really?!? Our school careers adviser specifically said that we should apply for Sixth form once we get our GCSE results...

Yeah, you're supposed to accept a sixth form - (so you'd have had an offer by then) once you get your results!
If you applied when you got your results (August) theres no way you could apply, be interviewed and get an induction day/place by September!

I applied to all my Sixth forms by January last year, and my current sixth forms deadline for year 11's was December 15th.

Maybe you misunderstood the careers advisor, or maybe he gave bad advice. what are your other classmates doing about applying?
Original post by MissMia1998
I had applied to all of my colleges and sixth forms that I wanted to go to round about this time last year but I had it already sorted by the time I got my GCSE results I had already been accepted and had to pick which one I wanted to go to but I had a place in them all already you won't get a place it you apply after your GCSE results or even after you have taken the exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here!
Reply 9
Original post by MissMia1998

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aaah, thanks. Last time to apply, then. The only other problem is, I don't know if I will be living here, in Northampton or Aberdeen this time next year, currently living in East Midlands. Should I apply to places in all three of these places, and then choose depending on where I move?
Yep but they will want to interview you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most places I looked at closed the main application deadline in mid-November, but if you phone a sixth form you're interested in they may take a late application from you. However, be aware that they will have started to finalise their timetable, and so they might not be able to accomodate all your options (as happened to me, so I had to reject a sixth form offer).
Reply 12
Thanks for the replies guys...I am now looking to apply to at least 3 Sixth Forms in Aberdeen, Northampton, and where I currently live by the end of today...lol. How will I attend interviews in Aberdeen, which is like at least 100 miles away from East Midlands? I don't know lol, but I am just applying for all open Sixth forms I see now.
Reply 13
UPDATE: Actually, most Sixth Forms in Northampton have their external admissions begin early January, and end either Late January or Early February. In short, I am just in time. Thank god!

Quick Reply

Latest