The Student Room Group

T-Test help! (TI-84 Plus)

I'm doing IB but I'm sure you A-Level people will have similar stuff so basically I'm confused on part D onwards:

I don't know which data to input into my TI-84 Plus and in what order.

If anyone could explain this to me I'd be eternally grateful!
Reply 1
Anyonee? IB people? A-Level students? :cry2:
Reply 2
Original post by Kangie
Anyonee? IB people? A-Level students? :cry2:

at A level you are meant to show workings for this type of question, so most people would not know even if they own that type of calculator
Reply 3
Original post by Kangie
I'm doing IB but I'm sure you A-Level people will have similar stuff so basically I'm confused on part D onwards:
I don't know which data to input into my TI-84 Plus and in what order.

If anyone could explain this to me I'd be eternally grateful!

Can't help much with inputting data, as I never had a graphical calculator.
However, the null hypothesis is always a hypothesis that there is no statistical significance in a correlation, the statement is almost always the same, with the context added in.
The number of degrees of freedom is the number of independent samplings that you take.
And the conclusion is dependent on the results.
Reply 4
Original post by joostan
Can't help much with inputting data, as I never had a graphical calculator.
However, the null hypothesis is always a hypothesis that there is no statistical significance in a correlation, the statement is almost always the same, with the context added in.
The number of degrees of freedom is the number of independent samplings that you take.
And the conclusion is dependent on the results.

Ahh.. I kinda understand the degrees of freedom thing and null hypothesis now, thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by TeeEm
at A level you are meant to show workings for this type of question, so most people would not know even if they own that type of calculator

If anyone could explain how to do it by hand that would be even more useful :P :blushing:
Reply 6
Original post by Kangie
Ahh.. I kinda understand the degrees of freedom thing and null hypothesis now, thank you!

You can try this link too, if it helps.
No worries :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Kangie
If anyone could explain how to do it by hand that would be even more useful :P :blushing:

if you know the basics have a look at some worked out questions at this link

http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/statistics/contingency_tables.pdf
I'm A-level. For D, the null hypothesis is that there is no relationship between café and satisfaction.
For E, v = (c - 1)(r - 1), where r is the number of rows, c is the number of columns.
I don't have that calculator, but for mine you input all of the data in stats mode, then select chi2.
Reply 9
Original post by TeeEm
if you know the basics have a look at some worked out questions at this link

http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/statistics/contingency_tables.pdf

This is actually really useful compared to what I found tonight, thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by Kangie
This is actually really useful compared to what I found tonight, thanks!

my pleasure
Reply 11
Original post by morgan8002
I'm A-level. For D, the null hypothesis is that there is no relationship between café and satisfaction.
For E, v = (c - 1)(r - 1), where r is the number of rows, c is the number of columns.
I don't have that calculator, but for mine you input all of the data in stats mode, then select chi2.

Oooh okay but for the second part, I did STAT > EDIT and then on my calculator there's L1, L2 columns etc but what data do I input? All of it including the totals or just the observed data?
Original post by Kangie
Oooh okay but for the second part, I did STAT > EDIT and then on my calculator there's L1, L2 columns etc but what data do I input? All of it including the totals or just the observed data?

It will probably be one list for the observed values and one list for the expected. The totals shouldn't be included.
You could try using the manual but they don't always have everything in them. Is there anyone you know who has this calculator and would know this?
Reply 13
Original post by morgan8002
It will probably be one list for the observed values and one list for the expected. The totals shouldn't be included.
You could try using the manual but they don't always have everything in them. Is there anyone you know who has this calculator and would know this?

Nevermind I worked it out :biggrin: I forgot how to work out expected values and I had been entering the data into the wrong place. Thank you for your help :smile:
Original post by Kangie
Nevermind I worked it out :biggrin: I forgot how to work out expected values and I had been entering the data into the wrong place. Thank you for your help :smile:

You're welcome.

Quick Reply

Latest