The Student Room Group

Law Work Experience for A2 Students?

Hey Guys! :smile:

I am wanting to do Law at University and I am currently in my final year of A-Levels and I was wondering whether anyone knows of any work experience programmes that are going on in the Manchester/Yorkshire region?

I am finding it extremely difficult to find some work experience in Law and I would really like some to make myself stand out.

Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 1
Unfortunately finding legal work experience at sixth form is difficult, but there are some options which you could give a shot.

1). Pinsent Masons offers a gap year work experience programme which is worth a look at.
2). Go to law firms (high street ones) and ask whether it would be possible to shadow someone for a couple of days/a week. They will be impressed by your confidence and initiative and so will probably accept you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
@Jani: Hey! I've already applied to Pinsent masons but thanks anyway :smile:

@JSP: thanks! I've emailed them :smile:

Also, was wondering whether I should email or send letters to firms instead?

Thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
@J-SP Thanks! Never thought of doing that :smile: I'll start making a list of PRIME members, Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Great! Thank you!

Sorry one more question :/, what would you write and should I attach my CV and Cover Letter with it?

Thank you so much again! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Great! Thank you very much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 345423KNL
Great! Thank you!

Sorry one more question :/, what would you write and should I attach my CV and Cover Letter with it?

Thank you so much again! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try some barristers chambers. Chambers are generally a bit freer in how they can organise informal work placements than firms are, and several chambers regularly accept 16-18 year-olds for small stints.

(In case you don't believe me: )

http://www.studentladder.co.uk/Law/law-placements.html
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Contacts. You might not think you have any, but you really do. If you want this enough, then put as many feelers out and follow up any leads, no matter how tenuous.

Not something I've tried as I'm lucky enough to have good contacts through my parents, but once you have secured the one placement you can play a game of Chamber-Firm ping pong. If you get a mini at a Chambers, ask their instructing solicitor if you can have a placement at their Firm. When at said firm, ask one of the Barrister's they instruct for a placement, and so on..

What part of the Country are you located?
Reply 8
Thanks Vimto!

In Yorkshire but I can easily commute to Leeds, Manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply