The Student Room Group

BMAT Website PRACTICE EXAM

Sorry to launch another BMAT thread, but it'll all be over on Wednesday.

I was wondering if you other guys had done the BMAT practice paper from the website (the same questions I think as the UCL website, which I didn't do). I sat the exam this afternoon in exam conditions and got:

27/35 section 1
14/27 section 2
? section 3!

I found the first section surprisingly easy, apart from a couple of mathsy questions and I arsed up the question about the company. It was pretty tight for time, but I finished with about 2 minutes left. Not really enough time to do any serious checking afterwards, so I think it pays to check your answer immediately after completing the question, rather than intend to go back, becuase you'll lose your thread of thought.

Section 2 was trickier, although by looking at the answer sheet first (say before the examiner starts the exam) you can look at the units and right down all the physics equations that relate to it. E.g. if you saw V, then you'd right down all the equations you know with Volts in, to save you a bit of time.
I guessed two maths questions and got them both right, so technically it's only 12 on that section. There were a number of q's I should really have got right but screwed up on. I find the science q's much harder, even though I do maths. The physics one's aren't actually that bad if you learn all the equations, but for some reason I've been screwing up on the chemistry q's. Hydrocarbons seems to be one of the big areas, along with circuits in physics and circulation in biology.

For the essay I did the Mechanism question. It was alright although I didn't get a brilliant handle on the implications or the resolution aspect.

Anyway, hope this helps, if we all post our results then we can get a decent idea of how we're doing. Incidentally using the results scale for Nov '04 (the graph on the website) I worked out that using that scale I'd have got 6.5 section 1 and 5.1 section 2. I e-mailed BMAT (they're really good at replying, I've done it twice and had a reply within 24 hours) and they said that if you look at the graph, each bar going across represents 1 makr. So if you scored 10 then count across 10 bars and see what that corresponds to on the BMAT scale. Using that I'd have needed to get 7.8 on the essay to get an automatic UCL interview, just as a guide. Incidentally I'm applying to Oxford with 100% A*'s, so I need to get in the top 60-ish % to get guaranteed an interview. The average score on BMAT SHOULD be 4.5+4.5+7.5= 16.5 (half marks on all sections)

So, please post your results, along with how you found the practice paper (easier than the book questions I think) and any revisions tips/areas that seem to keep cropping up.

Reply 1
I got 31 and 23 on the online one.
Reply 2
david134
. I e-mailed BMAT (they're really good at replying, I've done it twice and had a reply within 24 hours) and they said that if you look at the graph, each bar going across represents 1 makr. So if you scored 10 then count across 10 bars and see what that corresponds to on the BMAT scale.

Yeah. However, you have to count from the right and in terms of marks lost. No one gets 0 but someone does get the top mark.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=6496874&postcount=13
I got 27 in section one and 18 in section 2. I dunno about section 3 as i dunno how to mark it!!!
Reply 4
I think you get the same mark if you count backwards, although it may have been one bar higher up the scale, so that's even better.

Incidentally, to clarify something about the essay, are they marked on a continuous scale of 1-15, i.e, you can score 2,3,4,5,6...., or can you only score 3.6.9.12.15?

If you look at the bar charts on the website the only ones that appear are 3,6,9 etc, and the values half way between them, like 7.5. That would imply that as 7.5 is the mode mark, the most common mark achieved by anyway is actually a 6 and a 9 (essay is marked by 2 ppl) and those are averaged to give 7.5. If so this doesn't fill me with great confidence about the marking if the most common mark achieved is actually where the examiners DISAGREE.
Reply 5
No you don't get the same mark. There are 30 bars and there are 35 marks on a paper.

Yeah two people mark it. Then the score is an average of the two. (eg. in graduations from 0 to 15 in 3s)
Reply 6
Anyone else done the practice exam and got their scores?

A number of posters have said that the real exam was harder than the specimen papers, which wouldn't surprise me.

Latest

Trending

Trending