The Student Room Group

Anyone got an unfair detention story?

So, today I was awarded my first detention if the year: 'lateness'. Sorry, I was awarded for my TEACHER's lateness, not my own.

Today was the day of my GCSE English Literature Controlled Assessment, which was taking place in the hall, at 8:35. We were notified to attend tutor base, get registered and BE at the hall for 8:35. Me and 4 friends made our way to tutor base for 8:25, making sure we could get registered as quickly as possible. We were incorrect, we ended up waiting until 8:40 before our tutor strolls into the classroom. Unfortunately, me and a few friends had become anxious and made our way to the hall, for 8:35, without being registered. The reason we left without being registered was because our tutor was late, and we were going to be late for the CA, much worse than a slap on the hand by our tutor. So, it's 8:35, we're queuing for the exam, when a peer comes down from tutor, telling us that our tutor wanted us to return to be registered (keep in mind the CA is just about to start). We found this ridiculous and asked the peer to notify our tutor of our presence.

It's now 4:30pm, my mum has just called, with news of a detention I was given. I was confused as to why, until I remembered that we had not been registered. My mum calls up the school, saying that I was present, and that it was the teacher's fault for being late. Furthermore, the detention was apparently awarded for 'lateness' and 'lack of equipment'. But considering that I hadn't seen my tutor, how could she have known if I had my equipment!? I'm sure she greatly dislikes me xD. I now anxiously wait to see if I have he detention (hence why I can't sleep, and I'm typing this :'( ).

Please ignore any spelling mistakes, I'm on my phone.

What stories do you have?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So, did you get the detention?
I did, unfortunately. I further confronted the teacher, to find out that only 2, out of the 7, were awarded a detention. Apparently she `looked out of the window, but could only see a few students`.
Original post by Trippyninja12
I did, unfortunately. I further confronted the teacher, to find out that only 2, out of the 7, were awarded a detention. Apparently she `looked out of the window, but could only see a few students`.

I would get your mother to put in a formal complaint and have you refuse to attend
For clicking my pen.
Original post by Iqbal007
I would get your mother to put in a formal complaint and have you refuse to attend

I've done exactly that! Last night my Mum called the school, asking why I am being punished for my teacher's lateness, and they just said `because he was not registered`. The funny thing is, how can I be registered when my teacher is late and I need to be at an exam/CA.

I spoke to my `head of year` and assistant head today, and both of them laughed at the situation, and said to just ignore it. However, I've got a feeling that when I go back on Monday I will have another detention.
Original post by Hachik0
For clicking my pen.

You deserve that, whilst sitting the CA I had an annoying student behind me clicking her pen, and another to the right of me STOMPING his foot on to the floor. All that I could analyse was the terrible beat they were producing, not the flaws of Lady Macbeth!
I've done exactly that! Last night my Mum called the school, asking why I am being punished for my teacher's lateness, and they just said `because he was not registered`. The funny thing is, how can I be registered when my teacher is late and I need to be at an exam/CA.

I spoke to my `head of year` and assistant head today, and both of them laughed at the situation, and said to just ignore it. However, I've got a feeling that when I go back on Monday I will have another detention.

Just don't go to it, it's quite simple................if it goes any further, get your mother in for a talk with the head or even go to the school governors.
Original post by Iqbal007
Just don't go to it, it's quite simple................if it goes any further, get your mother in for a talk with the head or even go to the school governors.

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to do so. Why am I being punished for my teacher's own issues, damn school!
Not a detention exactly, but I got kicked out of a Maths class once because I yawned and the teacher got offended.
Fell asleep in a-Level History. Wasn't my fault. Teacher was boring.
Original post by saifmogul
Well i had a detention for being accused of making water drip from the ceiling. Yes i know wtf. But seriously i was in Re getting work done whilst kids behind me having a mini water fight. A bit of water went on my back and as i turned around the bell rang for the end of the day and the teacher starts staring at me. Me being confused not know whats going on, my teacher asks meee why there is water everywhere and even on the ceiling and i didnt have an explaination so i got a 30min detention without a 24hr notice ...:confused: :mad:

That's the most ridiculous thing, sometimes teachers are so ignorant. You should have just said it was the people behind you, lol
Original post by themorninglight
Not a detention exactly, but I got kicked out of a Maths class once because I yawned and the teacher got offended.

I sort of got told off for that today, I was tired and yawned in science. My teacher responded "Don't you ever yawn in my class again", I couldn't tell if she was being serious.
Original post by Ibn Fulaan
Fell asleep in a-Level History. Wasn't my fault. Teacher was boring.

There's so much writing in History, I don't blame you.
Reply 14
So, today I was awarded my first detention if the year: 'lateness'. Sorry, I was awarded for my TEACHER's lateness, not my own.

Today was the day of my GCSE English Literature Controlled Assessment, which was taking place in the hall, at 8:35. We were notified to attend tutor base, get registered and BE at the hall for 8:35. Me and 4 friends made our way to tutor base for 8:25, making sure we could get registered as quickly as possible. We were incorrect, we ended up waiting until 8:40 before our tutor strolls into the classroom. Unfortunately, me and a few friends had become anxious and made our way to the hall, for 8:35, without being registered. The reason we left without being registered was because our tutor was late, and we were going to be late for the CA, much worse than a slap on the hand by our tutor. So, it's 8:35, we're queuing for the exam, when a peer comes down from tutor, telling us that our tutor wanted us to return to be registered (keep in mind the CA is just about to start). We found this ridiculous and asked the peer to notify our tutor of our presence.

It's now 4:30pm, my mum has just called, with news of a detention I was given. I was confused as to why, until I remembered that we had not been registered. My mum calls up the school, saying that I was present, and that it was the teacher's fault for being late. Furthermore, the detention was apparently awarded for 'lateness' and 'lack of equipment'. But considering that I hadn't seen my tutor, how could she have known if I had my equipment!? I'm sure she greatly dislikes me xD. I now anxiously wait to see if I have he detention (hence why I can't sleep, and I'm typing this :'( ).

Please ignore any spelling mistakes, I'm on my phone.

What stories do you have?

I have a few stories about school, actually. Some very memorable unfair detentions included.
I forgot my ruler and got a half an hour detention.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was 2 minutes late, when the teacher asked why I was in detention she let me go. I was a good girl and it was unusual for me to be there.
Reply 17
Detention for going to the school nurse to take medication, and not going to see a teacher before. Apparently I must have been faking the entire thing because the teacher saw me in the dinner line 15 mins later (the length of time it takes medication to work), and I "looked fine". He is not medically trained in any way shape or form, my illness has no external symptoms, and my medication makes me feel sick if I have it on an empty stomach.

I refused to go to the detentions, as I was being unfairly punished. He said that I was lying when he had no proof. I had doctors notes, a note from the nurse, and notes from my parents, as well as the school knowing about my illness for the past 4 years, i.e. since it started.

I pointed out that, going by his standards, mental illnesses don't exist, my dyspraxia doesn't exist etc.

I have left the school, thankfully.
I got asked what was the answer to number 1 by this annoying nerd, said Eat My Shorts and then the teacher made me scribble 'I will not tell classmates to eat my shorts' 50 times on a blackboard/chalkboard until the alarm bell finally went and I gleefully jumped on my skateboard and rode the hell out of there. This was sometime back in 1993 when phrases like Don't Have a Cow Man and You're So Lame were edgy and everyone who's now white had yellow skin.
Original post by Katty3
Detention for going to the school nurse to take medication, and not going to see a teacher before. Apparently I must have been faking the entire thing because the teacher saw me in the dinner line 15 mins later (the length of time it takes medication to work), and I "looked fine". He is not medically trained in any way shape or form, my illness has no external symptoms, and my medication makes me feel sick if I have it on an empty stomach.

I refused to go to the detentions, as I was being unfairly punished. He said that I was lying when he had no proof. I had doctors notes, a note from the nurse, and notes from my parents, as well as the school knowing about my illness for the past 4 years, i.e. since it started.

I pointed out that, going by his standards, mental illnesses don't exist, my dyspraxia doesn't exist etc.

I have left the school, thankfully.

yeah that's pretty serious MH stigma/disability discrimination OP, you could have them sued for it :hugs:

Latest