The Student Room Group

Law at University...what is it really like doing it?

hey..i was just wondering if any people actually doing their LLB (or other legal degrees) could give people an idea of what it is actually like studying the sbject? the hours of work actually needed to be put in? how the social life will be affected *due to difficult course...and basically the good and bad points ppl found.

thanks

Scroll to see replies

As with any dicipline at university it is down to dedication and time management. If you're good at time management then you should still be able to fit in a social life around your degree (not your degree around your social life). However, you must be dedicated to putting in the hours of additional research that is required to supplement your lectures as well as doing coursework assignments and the like.

That is my take on it, but I am still at early stages in the degree. I'm sure some of the studenst on here who are further into their course will add to what I have said above (or disagree with it)!
Reply 2
Quite serious and very boring.
Reply 3
lol well i guess many hard degrees are guna be "boring" in asome parts...oh well

what uni do u go RR?
Reply 4
Liverpool.
It can be boring, butsome of the subjects are actually quite interesting... I think so anyway, but yeah the time management is crucial, you need to do alot of reading and need to keep time to enjoy yourself so that you dont go insane!
Reply 6
I have eight hours of lectures/seminars a week. Four hours of tutorials a week. On top of that there is a lot of reading. When people say that you have to do a lot of reading, they're telling the truth.
You don't have to, but after first year I seriously advise it!
It is all very enjoyable though...
I think "all" is a strong word :wink:.
Reply 10
Lewis-HuStuJCR
I think "all" is a strong word :wink:.

Seconded
Reply 11
Ethereal
Seconded

Thirded.
When I was in my first year at Hull living in Thwaite I was so jealous of the social anthropology student next door who had 2 hours a week and virtually no work. In fact, she could use her imagination to score well (in essays that is, not with Men). Still it is all time management. She was a pest making too much noise too. Law is fun because it is purposeful. If u want something done, ask a busy person.
LauraWalker
Law is fun because it is purposeful. If u want something done, ask a busy person.

I'll concur with this!

I'm finding even Constitutional and Comaprative enjoyable. Most (particularly 18yr old full-timers) hate these two... I, on the other hand, enjoy them - probably because I can "relate" more to the "concepts" by the sheer fact that I've been exposed to it and subject to it in the media and in person for consdierably longer. I find it quite intelectually empowering to actually realise what it all means!

And as for getting things done! I never before realised how much "wasted time" I had on my hands!!! I'm putting in between 4 and 10 hours of reading a day and probably getting more done in temrs of mundane, general tasks! I have no idea where all my time went before I embarked on this!
I think ur gonna be damn good at this law malarky if ur doing that much already, mature students are always dedicated .. i'll give them that!
Reply 15
Fireman John
I'll concur with this!

I'm finding even Constitutional and Comaprative enjoyable. Most (particularly 18yr old full-timers) hate these two... I, on the other hand, enjoy them - probably because I can "relate" more to the "concepts" by the sheer fact that I've been exposed to it and subject to it in the media and in person for consdierably longer. I find it quite intelectually empowering to actually realise what it all means!

And as for getting things done! I never before realised how much "wasted time" I had on my hands!!! I'm putting in between 4 and 10 hours of reading a day and probably getting more done in temrs of mundane, general tasks! I have no idea where all my time went before I embarked on this!

The internet? :p:
Lewis-HuStuJCR
I think ur gonna be damn good at this law malarky if ur doing that much already, mature students are always dedicated .. i'll give them that!

The problem is, I don't know how much of what I'm doing is actually directly relevant! I'm learning LOTS, but I'm left with this overriding fear that I'm learning stuff that isn't altogether relevant - or that I'm going into too much detail on matters that have only minor importance and I'm overlooking/ignoring/missing the stuff I really should be committing to memory.

Take this morning... I started to write up some stuff on the Courts structure... stuff I feel fairly comfortable with anyway - stuff I don't think I need to make ntes on... but I've digressed completely and gone onto reading and researching (and making notes) on judicial independence and the impact of the HRA... Now I know that's of use, but that's an example of how a lot of my reading is going... There doesn't seem to be a lot of structre to some of it!

As for Ethereal's comment - yeah... I reckon you're right... that and the pub - which I havent been near for weeks!
Reply 17
Fireman John
The problem is, I don't know how much of what I'm doing is actually directly relevant! I'm learning LOTS, but I'm left with this overriding fear that I'm learning stuff that isn't altogether relevant - or that I'm going into too much detail on matters that have only minor importance and I'm overlooking/ignoring/missing the stuff I really should be committing to memory.

Take this morning... I started to write up some stuff on the Courts structure... stuff I feel fairly comfortable with anyway - stuff I don't think I need to make ntes on... but I've digressed completely and gone onto reading and researching (and making notes) on judicial independence and the impact of the HRA... Now I know that's of use, but that's an example of how a lot of my reading is going... There doesn't seem to be a lot of structre to some of it!

As for Ethereal's comment - yeah... I reckon you're right... that and the pub - which I havent been near for weeks!

Shocking behaviour. Get yourself off for a quick half!!!!
Fireman John

Stick rigidly to your syllabus; ask for one if uni hasn't provided one. You may need to ask each individual module tutor.

If you're enjoying a subject, then by all means wander off on tangents, research extra points, look at it front every angle. Do as much as you can, because it will only do you good personally and educationally.

But make sure you're covering thoroughly every bit of the module and that your lack of structure is not going to cost you dear when it comes to marking your assignments and exams; they still have a mark scheme (well, in a fashion!) and you'll have to talk about what they want to hear about *first* and with depth and understanding.

Good luck John, sounds like you're doing ok though!!! :smile:
Yes treat yourself to a pint otherwise you'll send yourself insane. I did this once or twice, in fact many would say I am still nutty now. Glad your enjoying yourself though, Fireman John

Latest

Trending

Trending