The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

djchak
I think that bit of history was worth a mention.

The UK's past is fair game, within a certain context.

I really wonder...how many of the people that complain about the UK becoming like the US... have actually been to the US, and seen and heard the difference between our countries?

Well, exactly, or even if they've been, on a holiday, they wouldn't really understand much unless they'd lived in the US for quite a while, say, a year or more.
Reply 61
and how can you understand "the US". Arizona is nothing like North Dakota is nothing like New York is nothing like California.

It's like saying some Tuscan village is like Birmingham because they're both in Europe.
I don't know if this is common or if I've been watching too many American sitcoms but I've found myself using a lot of American expressions. For example today I said 'scrunchie' instead of 'bobble', it was the only word that came to my head for it. I've also said 'emergency room' and 'paycheck' beforehand, aswell as loads of words. I think younger generations are very heavily influenced by US culture. Not necessarily a bad thing as long as christian evangelism doesn't catch on here either.
Reply 63
Gamma
I don't know if this is common or if I've been watching too many American sitcoms but I've found myself using a lot of American expressions. For example today I said 'scrunchie' instead of 'bobble', it was the only word that came to my head for it. I've also said 'emergency room' and 'paycheck' beforehand, aswell as loads of words. I think younger generations are very heavily influenced by US culture. Not necessarily a bad thing as long as christian evangelism doesn't catch on here either.

Tsk, let's not forget that the American brand of evangelism originated in England.
shady lane
OK...
People like yourself think the erosion of British culture and the introduction of American culture is bad. Despite living in a country that tried to force its culture on lots of other people during its height of power. Now that Britain isn't so "great" anymore, this complaint sounds a bit like a spoilt child. If you don't like it, stop watching American TV and listening to American music.

Chip off.
No, I won't. It's so stupid! My cousins who live here watch The OC and other US crap religiously. It's not America's fault that you like our TV shows and movies. So I don't see what the point in complaining is. That's like me complaining that there's too much Chinese food replacing American food in the US--it tastes good and people like it so who cares?
Reply 66
shady lane
No, I won't. It's so stupid! My cousins who live here watch The OC and other US crap religiously. It's not America's fault that you like our TV shows and movies. So I don't see what the point in complaining is. That's like me complaining that there's too much Chinese food replacing American food in the US--it tastes good and people like it so who cares?

My original point was just about the language used, not TV shows or food or anything like that
I know it's stupid. I don't give a damn if American shows are popular over here (although my sister is always watching abc1- which is absolutely ****!). But i don't see why you felt the need to pop in a bit of Britain bashing. Maybe if it was the government complaining about it then you could try and make a point.
Yes, people like to talk like Americans so they do. It's not forced upon them. The Spice Girls was huge in the US but we didn't all say "snog" or whatever.
Reply 69
shady lane
Yes, people like to talk like Americans so they do. It's not forced upon them. The Spice Girls was huge in the US but we didn't all say "snog" or whatever.

Yeh but why talk like Americans, why dont we talk like Brits?
Reply 70
afcwill

Why do Indians talk like Brits?
Reply 71
Bismarck
Why do Indians talk like Brits?

Im talking about the language used, for example why do people say cinema instead of 'the pictures' perhaps thats a northern thing though!
Reply 72
People repeat words they commonly hear and words they wish to adopt. I see no problem with this.

I think British English has historically far more impact on America than American English has on Britain. We can start with the fact most Americans speak English as opposed to any other language...
afcwill

I don't talk like an American, I talk like a Canadian.
Reply 74
afcwill
Im talking about the language used, for example why do people say cinema instead of 'the pictures' perhaps thats a northern thing though!

Why do so many Indians speak British English to start with?

And it's called going to the movies or to a movie theater in the US.
Reply 75
Bismarck

I dont know, i cant answer that question, but what i am referring to is the shift of our language over the last few years towards an American style, i am not referring to the englisgh language being spoken all over the world
Reply 76
Why is this thread still active? It's clear that afcwill doesn't want to hear anything other than "you are right, and it sucks!"
Any attempts toward answers, progress, or disagreements with the original post have been shot down or ignored.
Reply 77
Bismarck

English is the language of communication across the globe and highlights education etc in another country most likely.

Some also like to use face whitening sometimes, due to their UNHEALTHY fixation on British culture.
Reply 78
Evil-Tuna
English is the language of communication across the globe and highlights education etc in another country most likely.

Some also like to use face whitening sometimes, due to their UNHEALTHY fixation on British culture.

And it has nothing to do with India being a former Britain colony? :rolleyes:

I still don't see the big deal about all this. Did Indians magicly lose their culture just because most of them speak English now?
Reply 79
Bismarck
And it has nothing to do with India being a former Britain colony? :rolleyes:

I still don't see the big deal about all this. Did Indians magicly lose their culture just because most of them speak English now?

In the context of this thread thats less important.

Latest

Trending

Trending