The Student Room Group

options after rejection from veterinary.

hello everyone,

just wondering, i havent heard anything back from any uni's yet about offers/interviews etc., so hopefully i will but i was just wondering what other people have in mind if they do not get into veterinary this year, id very much like to work in rehabilitation of wild animals or something but dont really know where to start looking (obviously veterinary is my first choice but things dont always go to plan so its good to have back ups), any ideas?:-)

thanks in advance and very good luck to anyone applying for this year - i hope you are successful ^_^
Original post by nymaphadora
hello everyone,

just wondering, i havent heard anything back from any uni's yet about offers/interviews etc., so hopefully i will but i was just wondering what other people have in mind if they do not get into veterinary this year, id very much like to work in rehabilitation of wild animals or something but dont really know where to start looking (obviously veterinary is my first choice but things dont always go to plan so its good to have back ups), any ideas?:-)

thanks in advance and very good luck to anyone applying for this year - i hope you are successful ^_^

Have you considered reapplying if you don't get in? Obviously the choice is your but a lot of people don't get in first time.

There are wildlife centres across the country but not many of them to be honest. I know some ex-vet nurses who run their own wildlife centre/charity from home but how they pay for it all I don't know! The wildlife rescue centre I worked in (Tiggywinkles) had both vet nurses and general cleaners/people studying some sort of BTECs. Whilst it's a fulfilling job a lot of your time is spent cleaning, feeding (general cleaners) and weighing and administering meds (mostly nurses). Personally I feel I need more mental stimulation to keep myself from getting bored so wouldn't want to do it for a lifetime, but then again I think it definitely suit a patient, caring individual who has a passion for helping wildlife.
Reply 2
Original post by nymaphadora
hello everyone,

I think my first step would be to try and secure some work experience at a Wildlife or Wetlands Trust - I recently went to Slimbridge in Gloucestershire for a couple of days, which was really interesting (got to feed otters, care of flamingos etc) so that might help give you a better idea of what it is that you want to do with wildlife, and give you some useful contacts if that is where you end up working. Next, I'd be looking for degree courses to reapply for (or to apply for through clearing/Extra) (either full or part time) such as Ecology, Biology, Wildlife Management, Animal Behaviour, Wildlife Care or even Vet Nursing. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending