The Student Room Group

Do you think this is appauling?

Hello so today in religious education we did a question whether tax money should be used to help people who have alcohol and drug problems so i asked 2 boys in my class what they would do if they saw a drunk passed out on a street they said nothing just walk by and ignore. I think this is appauling because everyday I hope that if anything was to happen to me I would want someone to help me also if I was not as fortunate and brought up in bad circumstances and had alcohol problems I would want someone to help me yes some may argue it is therefore but how can someone walk past those suffering and do nothing when i see others not as fortunate as me or who made bad decisions yes i would try and help them. I think it is repulsive to see people be so careless because you should treat others how you want to be treated and I am sure I would want help and I cannot think how people can walk by and do nothing one they see pain I think it is so sad to see there are people like that I do not care whether it is not my business but when I see suffering I cannot walk by and do nothing.

What is your advice?? Should we help those in need I think we should and if they don't want it then we shouldn't
Reply 1
Original post by Maria1812
I asked 2 boys in my class what they would do if they saw a drunk passed out on a street they said nothing just walk by and ignore.
I drink, I fall over. No problem.

:cool:
People are responsible for their own actions.

/thread
Reply 3
This is what I mean people no longer care about others maybe someone did not do the right thing therefore we should help them as we cause more harm to society by not helping them also does anyone remember the good samaritan story? I cannot walk by and do nothing when I see pain I do not care if the person is responsible becasue when i see pain my instinct is to stop it and ease pain.
The right thing to do would depend on your own sense of self-preservation. Is it right to go and help a drunkard who could stab you and leave your family without a father/mother? There's a time and a place for kindness and risking your own life based on a arbitrary need to 'do the right thing' is intensely selfish if you have other responsibilities beyond yourself.
Hello so today in religious education we did a question whether tax money should be used to help people who have alcohol and drug problems so i asked 2 boys in my class what they would do if they saw a drunk passed out on a street they said nothing just walk by and ignore. I think this is appauling because everyday I hope that if anything was to happen to me I would want someone to help me also if I was not as fortunate and brought up in bad circumstances and had alcohol problems I would want someone to help me yes some may argue it is therefore but how can someone walk past those suffering and do nothing when i see others not as fortunate as me or who made bad decisions yes i would try and help them. I think it is repulsive to see people be so careless because you should treat others how you want to be treated and I am sure I would want help and I cannot think how people can walk by and do nothing one they see pain I think it is so sad to see there are people like that I do not care whether it is not my business but when I see suffering I cannot walk by and do nothing.

What is your advice?? Should we help those in need I think we should and if they don't want it then we shouldn't

It is the same with beggars, drug addicts, drunks, homeless people. I never ever give to any of them. In this country there is no need for any of this - the drunks and drug addicts are all there by choice. There are enough support agencies that no-one needs to be homeless

What are you going to do with a drunk - if he is so far gone he will just fall asleep. Slightly more alert he will vomit all over you. Manage to get him to A and E - waste of an ambulance and medical time. You have to let people be responsible for their own actions. And having actually - in my younger days - done the above for a drunk - let me tell you they are blooming ungrateful

What I will do though is give money to the charities that provide help for these various problems.
Reply 6
Original post by squeakysquirrel
It is the same with beggars, drug addicts, drunks, homeless people. I never ever give to any of them. In this country there is no need for any of this - the drunks and drug addicts are all there by choice. There are enough support agencies that no-one needs to be homeless

What are you going to do with a drunk - if he is so far gone he will just fall asleep. Slightly more alert he will vomit all over you. Manage to get him to A and E - waste of an ambulance and medical time. You have to let people be responsible for their own actions. And having actually - in my younger days - done the above for a drunk - let me tell you they are blooming ungrateful

What I will do though is give money to the charities that provide help for these various problems.

What i mean is that you should call an ambulance if you see one passed out high intoxicated this is all I am talking about not anything else guys don't worry i wouldn't get too close in case they were agressive and also what i mean is there should be better treatment for alcoholicsm and drug addicts and this treatment should be compulsory as not all addicts admit that they are addicts
Reply 7
Original post by squeakysquirrel

I know some may be ungrateful but it just angers me when I see pain and they may not want help but what if some do but they don't know how and they have problems admiting they have problems
Reply 8
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
The right thing to do would depend on your own sense of self-preservation. Is it right to go and help a drunkard who could stab you and leave your family without a father/mother? There's a time and a place for kindness and risking your own life based on a arbitrary need to 'do the right thing' is intensely selfish if you have other responsibilities beyond yourself.

I do not mean to touch them but try and get more awareness and help get them off the streets by providing more help and not approach them. But I don't know anymore the thing is there is so much bad in this world we want to help it and stop this but there is no easy answer. I am just annoyed that there is so much bad and i wish people cared more about others and tried some ways of helping them maybe not to approach them but do something else
I do not mean to touch them but try and get more awareness and help get them off the streets by providing more help and not approach them. But I don't know anymore the thing is there is so much bad in this world we want to help it and stop this but there is no easy answer. I am just annoyed that there is so much bad and i wish people cared more about others and tried some ways of helping them maybe not to approach them but do something else

Most people try. There is a huge drive to decriminalise drugs for example so that people can et the help they need for their addiction problem without risk of prosecution. People do care, they just feel powerless to do anything about it, we can give money to charities which can help but the issues are just too complicated for your average joe to quickly fix by putting in time and effort. Time and effort can create food banks, but not remove the conditions which require them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending