The Student Room Group

Going on the pill?

I'm a 17 year old girl planning to have sex with my boyfriend for the first time soon, and I need help with 2 things.

1) im super worried about getting pregnant. So I kind of want to go on the pill, but I don't want to become even more emotional, or gain weight, but I've heard that the pill can cause that stuff to happen. Girls on the pill would you recommend it?

2) I come from a Catholic family, and the Catholic Church doesn't believe in artificial contraception (condoms, the pill etc) or sex before marriage. I've looked into the reasons why and come to my own conclusions that I have no moral issue with either - however im scared to tell my mum that I want to go on the pill Incase she freaks out and bans me from seeing my boyfriend so that I can't sleep with him. I don't want to hide this from Her but I also don't want to be banned from seeing him - help?!
1 The pill isn't your only option, there are lots of contraceptive options this is a really useful tool for helping you work out what might be best for you. Because I didn't like the idea of using artificial hormones, and my periods are regular and easy, I chose to have the copper coil (IUD) fitted. The only way you will know if you will experience any side effects from the pill (or any other hormonal contraceptive) is to try it. It can often be a trial and error process, and sometimes it can take a couple of months for things to settle down. Some people have no issues with the first thing they try, some people try several different pills/options until they find what works.

2 I think this is really a thing you're going to have to work out for yourself, you know your own family better than we do, your judgement with dealing with this is going to be better than a strangers online. You don't need her permission to go on the pill (or anything else), and you don't need her to go with you to get it, but I can understand you don't want to hide it. How likely is she to ban you from seeing your boyfriend - how strict a catholic is she? Also, how realisitic is it that she can do it. Can she really physically stop you.
As with any other faith, a very large number of Catholics ignore the bits they don't think are right - the official ban on artificial contraception has been widely flouted for decades. At some point, reality will catch up with the leadership or they risk having their other pronouncements ignored too.

How much is she worried about you becoming pregnant vs you having sex?

Most parents would be much happier knowing that you are being sensible around contraception than have you announcing you're pregnant.
as far as the pill goes many people find no ill effects, personally I've been on the pill for years, my boobs are bigger but I've seen no increase in my size generally and my mood is actually more stable, I get quite down during my break week but when I actually take the pill I feel much better... it can take time to try a few pills and see what works for you, and there are other forms of birth control which may suit you better - the best thing to do is have a conversation with your GP about your needs and concerns and they will be able to advise you best as to what will work for you

as far as your mum goes, there's no real reason to tell her and you are best placed to decide whether she will be glad you are being safe or upset you are having sex
Well done for being responsible and wanting to be safe! Yes the pill can cause adverse effects but it is very uncommon. Even if it does give you problems you can just go back to your doctor and they can try on a different pill (there are tons of options).
If you decide you really don't want to tell your mu, you don't have to. It's your decision and something you can get without her having to know. As long as it keeps you safe, I feel that this is one thing that you don't have to share with any family member! If you tell her, reassure her that you have made a well informed decision and you know it is the right thing for you.
There are of course other options such as an implant as well. An implant is particularly good as a hidden contraceptive so to speak haha
1. I would recommend going on the pill, there are so many different types, and people who gain weight on it are just using the wrong one for them. I've changed once from Ridgevidon to Cerelle (R wasn't getting rid of my period pain which is why I chose to go on it) and Cerelle has made my boobs bigger! It's just the thing of remembering to take your pill everyday. But I would definitely recommend the pill as you control it completely- you can stop whenever and change whenever

2. I'm not from a religious family but we are very close and I tell my mum everything. In this case, she hadn't got a problem with me taking the pill, however you must remember it is completely up to you and you can go and talk to a nurse about it on your own. You could talk to a nurse and not even go through with going on the pill at all. I know that it is against the Catholic faith, but if you feel that it's the right thing to do, then you should really think about the pill as it will give you relief from pregnancy scares.

How long have you been going out with your boyfriend too? Because if you've been going out with him for a while, I'm sure that your parents may see it as a serious relationship and not have such a problem with anything.
Reply 6
firstly, thanks so much to everyone for their replies!

i think i'll go and see a doctor asap to discuss different methods of birth control. one other that i'm interested in is the implant - does anyone have it? what is it like to get put in and is it noticeable? it seems the most ideal but i'm so squeamish and the idea of getting it put in makes me feel a bit sick!!

as for my mum, i think i'll avoid telling her as possible, because i don't know how she'd react to be honest but i get the feeling she wouldn't take it well and she's got other things to worry about at the moment - so probably less stressful for both of us if i keep it to myself at the moment. thank you to everyone for their opinions on this matter, you've made me feel a lot better about it!

i've been going out with my boyfriend for 8 months :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
firstly, thanks so much to everyone for their replies!

i think i'll go and see a doctor asap to discuss different methods of birth control. one other that i'm interested in is the implant - does anyone have it? what is it like to get put in and is it noticeable? it seems the most ideal but i'm so squeamish and the idea of getting it put in makes me feel a bit sick!!

as for my mum, i think i'll avoid telling her as possible, because i don't know how she'd react to be honest but i get the feeling she wouldn't take it well and she's got other things to worry about at the moment - so probably less stressful for both of us if i keep it to myself at the moment. thank you to everyone for their opinions on this matter, you've made me feel a lot better about it!

i've been going out with my boyfriend for 8 months :smile:

Really good idea to go and discuss it with your doctor :smile: Well done for being so responsible!

And regarding the boyfriend, I think the fact that you've been together for a good amount of time would probably take a weight off of your mum's shoulders if she were to find out..

Good luck with it all :smile: I hope you find the right thing for you
Reply 8
Original post by triton_sur_jade
Really good idea to go and discuss it with your doctor :smile: Well done for being so responsible!

And regarding the boyfriend, I think the fact that you've been together for a good amount of time would probably take a weight off of your mum's shoulders if she were to find out..

Good luck with it all :smile: I hope you find the right thing for you

thanks so much for your help/reassurance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest