The Student Room Group

How do you make notes

I wonder how to take effective notes from text books etc.

Where do you start when learning something new without a teacher. Do you make notes as you go, do you read through once then a second time whilst making notes. My main focus is the sciences bioligy chemistry and physics

4 months till my exams and i feel like j know nothing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by vickie89uk
I wonder how to take effective notes from text books etc.

Where do you start when learning something new without a teacher. Do you make notes as you go, do you read through once then a second time whilst making notes. My main focus is the sciences bioligy chemistry and physics

4 months till my exams and i feel like j know nothing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Make notes off of every past past paper from the markscheme and specification.
Reply 2
Original post by Shadoo
Make notes off of every past past paper from the markscheme and specification.

The paper i am sitting only has one year worth of past papers. But ill look into that thankyou

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
The paper i am sitting only has one year worth of past papers. But ill look into that thankyou

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your only option then is to revise everything in proper detail
Reply 4
I use notes that I've already made in class and my textbook (in case the teacher missed anything out or if I don't understand and need further explanation) to make revision notes. I also use the spec as a guide on what to write in my notes, so each main point in the spec would sort of be like a heading
Reply 5
Original post by Shadoo
Your only option then is to revise everything in proper detail

As i dont learn half the specification i have to self teach and strugglung to grasp concepts hence i need to make notes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Fhus
I use notes that I've already made in class and my textbook (in case the teacher missed anything out or if I don't understand and need further explanation) to make revision notes. I also use the spec as a guide on what to write in my notes, so each main point in the spec would sort of be like a heading

I don't get taught half of the specification by a teacher i have to do it myself as my educator doesnt offer a double award which i need to progress so i have no teacher no class notes

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can write out the key definitions or paragraph explaining the concepts with diagrams if it helps. It's useful to have your own notes so that you have something to refer back to. Past papers can give you a good idea about how the questions are asked but I usually use them to test myself once I have learned the stuff, not as a starting point. When I revise for science I get an A3 sketchpad and then summarise each main topic as a mind map so that I can see how all the ideas are connected and that helps me to remember them. I'm quite visual so I use colours and images too. You can also try using the CGP revision guides as a reference as they're quite good.
Reply 8
Original post by nerdygirl123
You can write out the key definitions or paragraph explaining the concepts with diagrams if it helps. It's useful to have your own notes so that you have something to refer back to. Past papers can give you a good idea about how the questions are asked but I usually use them to test myself once I have learned the stuff, not as a starting point. When I revise for science I get an A3 sketchpad and then summarise each main topic as a mind map so that I can see how all the ideas are connected and that helps me to remember them. I'm quite visual so I use colours and images too. You can also try using the CGP revision guides as a reference as they're quite good.

Thank you for your response.

Ive never ever made a mindmap but yesterday i brought a sketch pad from an arts and crafts shop and i got some stabillo point 88 pens (30 colours) and some sharpies. My main issue is ice not summarised anything for 10 years so trying to write whats been said in a summary is difficult.

Im reading the text book out loud (recording myself on a dictator phone to play back to myself) then i look at videos on khan use google to check the facts and then write notes but notes are not small summaries. I guess it will come with time.

Thank you :smile:
Ive printed past papers already in anticipation

Posted from TSR Mobile
This may well be beyond the scope of your revision, but I hope it helps. I make notes by, as nerdygirl123 eluded to, taking the key concept of theories and processes and supporting them with diagrams and highlighting. Also, I find bullet pointing pieces of information, even if it isn't necessary, beneficial to my learning. Here is an example:

Screen shot 2015-01-23 at 12.06.48.png
Reply 10
Original post by loukas2993
This may well be beyond the scope of your revision, but I hope it helps. I make notes by, as nerdygirl123 eluded to, taking the key concept of theories and processes and supporting them with diagrams and highlighting. Also, I find bullet pointing pieces of information, even if it isn't necessary, beneficial to my learning. Here is an example:

Screen shot 2015-01-23 at 12.06.48.png

Thank you great notes mine never look like that i might give that a try i notice you do yours on a computer/laptop which i might do as i am not an artist my drawings are shocking.

Thank you very much for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you great notes mine never look like that i might give that a try i notice you do yours on a computer/laptop which i might do as i am not an artist my drawings are shocking.

Thank you very much for your help

No problem, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending