The Student Room Group

Help deciding what to pick?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey guys Im currently in year 11 and I dont really have a good idea of what to pick for A levels. For my GCSE Mocks I got all A's and A*'s, with a B in history. For the record I picked additional science, spanish, geography and history for my GCSE's.

I have a slight vision of becoming a dentist and working somewhere such as Kuwait or Oman. For this reason I was hoping to pick Biology, Chesmitry, Maths with Stats and something else (undecided). The only problem is, Im not SUPER interested in science. While I am good at all my subjects, I dont really feel a passion for any of them.

I have a couple of questions that need answering.

Firstly, how can I decide what kind of job I want in the future? I dont want a mediocre job because I feel like my brain may be going to waste.

Is going for dentistry a good choice if I'm not crazy passionate about science?

If I were to pick the subjects mentioned above, what could I take for my last option? Is spanish a good choice? I got A*'s in all aspects; speaking, listening, reading, and writing, but I've heard that the gap between GCSE spanish and A level spanish is huge.

Thanks in advance :smile:
why do you want to be a dentist?
surely you will have had a careers day at some point for your school? if not there are plenty of character - job assessements where you answer questions and by the end of it - it gives you feedback on what jobs suit you
Reply 2
Posted from TSR Mobile

The only reason Im even mildly feeling dentist is because of the pressure from both of my parents. And the careers conventions really didnt help..just ended up being really distracting and a waste of time because so many people went.

I'll be sure to look at one of those tests, are there any in particular that might help?
Sciences are difficult at A level if you are not really that interested... you may lose motivation and therefore not perform your best. I was in the same situation as you and I chose my favourite subjects apart from one.
If you don't like science then maybe dentistry is not for you. Like I said you would be better off studying what you enjoy because that would lead to a career in something you enjoy and surely that is the best choice:smile:
Reply 4
Posted from TSR Mobile

The thing is there is A LOT of pressure from my parents..the way they see it is I need to earn a lot of money..not about job satisfaction. And I dont even have a favourite subject..I just cant seem to find any interest in any of them
Reply 5
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey guys Im currently in year 11 and I dont really have a good idea of what to pick for A levels. For my GCSE Mocks I got all A's and A*'s, with a B in history. For the record I picked additional science, spanish, geography and history for my GCSE's.

I have a slight vision of becoming a dentist and working somewhere such as Kuwait or Oman. For this reason I was hoping to pick Biology, Chesmitry, Maths with Stats and something else (undecided). The only problem is, Im not SUPER interested in science. While I am good at all my subjects, I dont really feel a passion for any of them.

I have a couple of questions that need answering.

Firstly, how can I decide what kind of job I want in the future? I dont want a mediocre job because I feel like my brain may be going to waste.

Is going for dentistry a good choice if I'm not crazy passionate about science?

If I were to pick the subjects mentioned above, what could I take for my last option? Is spanish a good choice? I got A*'s in all aspects; speaking, listening, reading, and writing, but I've heard that the gap between GCSE spanish and A level spanish is huge.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest