The Student Room Group

Applications to usa 2015 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheAnnabelle
I do love the campus feel of US universities and the southern weather! I looked into Vandy a lot but I did;t think i could get enough aid....I think it maybe too late now. Anyways, the colleges I did apply to all promise all the aid I'll need if I do get in. Which is a reassuring thought. If i got accepted to one of those amazing southern schools/LACS but then couldn't afford it I think I would burst from the inside out.....:-( I'm really desperate to go abroad...

On a side note; isn;t TSR SO MUCH better than college confidential?

VANDY has probably some of the best aid in the country besides HARVARD. That's a reason I liked it. And yeah, I can't exactly afford the university I'm going to but thank goodness for student loans and my future career making a lot of money as a lawyer.
Original post by MarchingBand2015
Wait wait wait. You said your interviewer at Yale was conservative?! Please explain your definition of conservative because a TON of professors and college staff here are liberal democrats. My definition of conservative is a person who: supports the NRA, religious (usually), and has "old fashioned" views on a lot of social issues. I would know. I am one. And usually people living in that area of the US are not Conservative. Lol.

I mean literally conservative, rather than the political party. They came off that way, I can't know for certain but the views they expressed in the interview were pretty archaic, like keeping all drug addicts in jail instead of rehabilitation and such.

Could've totally misinterpreted them, though, it was only an hour and a half long chat and they might have just been playing devil's advocate :P
Original post by anunoriginaluser
I mean literally conservative, rather than the political party. They came off that way, I can't know for certain but the views they expressed in the interview were pretty archaic, like keeping all drug addicts in jail instead of rehabilitation and such.

Ok, lol. I was ABOUT TO SAY. Not that there aren't any up in that area, but its significantly fewer than where I live, practically in the South.
Applied to duke, georgetown, harvard, stanford, yale, princeton and john hopkins. Sat2 score---2310.
Original post by victoria1235
Applied to duke, georgetown, harvard, stanford, yale, princeton and john hopkins. Sat2 score---2310.

I'd go to Yale if I could choose. It looks AMAZING.
And I hate not being able to interpret SAT scores. Most people where I live only take the ACT which is on a different scoring system.
Original post by sagar448
Yeah true but still I don't know I don't think I have a chance, yeah I would say same the Harvard interview was the best one I had but the MIT one was closely running. It's scary how much of a resemblance we have, the Princeton one went really bad, one reason because he asked me this really tough question on some equivalency thesis... I haven't had one from Caltech yet and the Stanford one was really good too.

Yeah I go to a regular british college. Have you applied to any unis here?

Yh ! Weird! We may have had some of the same interviewers then! (if you were within the london area i suppose)

I did go through UCAS! I applied to Warwick, UCL (twice), Exeter and Cambridge. (unsuccessful :-/)

I have three offers but still waiting on one UCL course!!! argh!!!

How about you?
Yh ! Weird! We may have had some of the same interviewers then! (if you were within the london area i suppose)

I did go through UCAS! I applied to Warwick, UCL (twice), Exeter and Cambridge. (unsuccessful :-/)

How about you?

Personally, if I could go to any university in the world, it would be Cambridge, hands down. I'd love to do graduate study there, if I could convince my parents to let me leave the country long enough.
Personally, if I could go to any university in the world, it would be Cambridge, hands down. I'd love to do graduate study there, if I could convince my parents to let me leave the country long enough.

You should totally go for it!!!!! GO GET YOUR DREAMS!!!
it might be trick for law though, if you're thinking of practising in the US ...
I've applied to Brown, Colby, Cornell, Harvard, Harvey Mudd, Northwestern, Princeton, Rice, Stanford, Vassar & Yale and been interviewed for Brown, Harvard, Princeton, Vassar and Yale. None of them went great :frown: Yale went particularly awkward because my interviewer was quite conservative and politics got brought up and I don't think they approved of my stance on drug laws :woo: - Brown wasn't too good either, it lasted like 25 minutes

Had a 33 ACT (35/33/33/31), 800 SAT II Math 2, 760 SAT II Physics, 4A*, 4A, B GCSEs and 4As at AS.

Amazing stats man! Best of luck!
You should totally go for it!!!!! GO GET YOUR DREAMS!!!
it might be trick for law though, if you're thinking of practising in the US ...

:''''''''''(
I know. Do they have like a "law degree"? Because if you want to be a lawyer here, you have to do undergrad and then three years of law school. How does it work there?
And I'd be up for the challenge.
And I also wouldn't mind relocating. I love my USA tho.......... But I'd love to live in London for a year or two.
(edited 9 years ago)
:''''''''''(
I know. Do they have like a "law degree"? Because if you want to be a lawyer here, you have to do undergrad and then three years of law school. How does it work there?
And I'd be up for the challenge.

You can either do a law degree as a batchelors, then go on to the Bar course (1/2 years I believe). OR do any bach degree, then do a one year law conversion course and then do the Bar course.

Doing a law conversion after your BA/Bsc is EXTREMELY popular! It doesn't set you back, compared to those who did a Law Batchlelors.

So it could take you four years ( Batch + Bar course) or 5/6 years.

I don;t know all the details precisely though sorry about that.
You can either do a law degree as a batchelors, then go on to the Bar course (1/2 years I believe). OR do any bach degree, then do a one year law conversion course and then do the Bar course.

Doing a law conversion after your BA/Bsc is EXTREMELY popular! It doesn't set you back, compared to those who did a Law Batchlelors.

So it could take you four years ( Batch + Bar course) or 5/6 years.

I don;t know all the details precisely though sorry about that.

That's kind of confusing, but it sounds like it takes less time than here! I will definitely have to look into it.
Reply 32

How about you?

Oh yeah, I applied to UCL, southampton, Cambridge and two to imperial. I got an interview from Cambridge but no offer, got an offer from UCL and southampton waiting for Imperial. :tongue:
I'm thinking of applying to US universities next year, but really don't know too much about the process. There's zero help from my school on this, and I feel slightly in the dark frankly! Is there any websites people have found useful, or informative? Or some sort of TSR guide I'm not aware of? Thanks!
Amazing stats man! Best of luck!

Thank you! Good luck to you too! :biggrin: Are you finding everything out March 31st/April 1st too? :smile:
Original post by tggfootymad
I'm thinking of applying to US universities next year, but really don't know too much about the process. There's zero help from my school on this, and I feel slightly in the dark frankly! Is there any websites people have found useful, or informative? Or some sort of TSR guide I'm not aware of? Thanks!

I can't give you an official guide, but as a US student I'd love to give you some pointers. I'm currently in the middle of the process, so I have learned a thing or two.
And here is a website I just found: http://www.petersons.com/college-search/international-students-guide.aspx
I can't give you an official guide, but as a US student I'd love to give you some pointers. I'm currently in the middle of the process, so I have learned a thing or two.
And here is a website I just found: http://www.petersons.com/college-search/international-students-guide.aspx

Awesome thanks, I'll take a look. :smile: What are the best pieces of advice you could give?
Original post by tggfootymad
Awesome thanks, I'll take a look. :smile: What are the best pieces of advice you could give?

Depending on what area of the country you want to study in, you will need to take a different standardized test: ACT or SAT. I have only taken the ACT recently but took the SAT years ago for a talent search thing and I prefer the ACT. I took it five times to get the score that I have and I hate thinking about it now. Haha. But I got a 30 so a 30 or above will get you into the BEST schools. However, a lot of them have average scores of like 32 or 33.
Look at all types of schools. Even Christian schools if you're not a Christian. I'm more than likely going to one and not everyone there is a Christian (I am), but the school by far has the nicest people in the USA. EVER. Hahah. And they have a lot of international programs at mine.
But look for ones that offer 100% financial aid, but also look into some state schools. The US is massive so there will be different cultures in each. New England is mainly democratic with a lot of people. The south is mainly conservative with by far the best food and nicest people. The midwest is a mixture of parties and there's a lot of farmland here. The west in general, I don't know a whole lot about, but CALI is mostly liberal except in the Southern California area. Colorado is my favorite state. Do a google search of the Rockie mountains and you'll know why.
So start ACT and SAT now!!! Run a google search to find testing centers near you. Colleges here take extracurriculars seriously. Now don't go find a whole bunch of clubs to join. Find a few you are passionate about and willing to actually do stuff in.
I'll give you some more pointers later this afternoon but right now I am going off to eat lunch with some friends!
Thank you! Good luck to you too! :biggrin: Are you finding everything out March 31st/April 1st too? :smile:

Yup!!! Its gonna be a tense two days! Haven't decided whether i just want to open them all on the 1st or do it in two parts.....arghh....
Original post by sagar448
Oh yeah, I applied to UCL, southampton, Cambridge and two to imperial. I got an interview from Cambridge but no offer, got an offer from UCL and southampton waiting for Imperial. :tongue:

Fingers crossed for imperial for you!!!! Hope it works out!!!! They do like to take their time...along with durham and UCL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending