The Student Room Group

DCM Role help me!!

Hey guys,

I hope you are all well. I just wanted to know if I could seek the advice if some of the people wih experience working in an investment bank. I have an offer for a bank in dcm and I just wanted to know if anyone could provide some answers for the below questions:

- how much would is the base salary for an analyst/associate/someone with 4 years banking experience
- what are the working hours like with heavy deal flow and a growing bond desk
- what are the key things that you would be doing and is there much financial modelling and what type?
- is it more process driven and can be easily picked up?
- what is more challenging technically: dcm, ECM, m&a, private equity
- small teams better than big teams?
- I also have some specific questions that I would like to ask people via PM so if you know anyone who has worked in dcm I would appreciate some help!
- anyone have experience with the following cultures: US, Swiss, British, German, japanese : any key adjectives to describe each?
- what are the exit ops like? And can you still be doing it when you are 40 or will I burn out?
- will I have to pass FCA exams and how are they structured? Are they difficult?
Thanks guys :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Wow ... No one?
Reply 2
Original post by Bleached
Hey guys,

I hope you are all well. I just wanted to know if I could seek the advice if some of the people wih experience working in an investment bank. I have an offer for a bank in dcm and I just wanted to know if anyone could provide some answers for the below questions:

- how much would is the base salary for an analyst/associate/someone with 4 years banking experience
- what are the working hours like with heavy deal flow and a growing bond desk
- what are the key things that you would be doing and is there much financial modelling and what type?
- is it more process driven and can be easily picked up?
- what is more challenging technically: dcm, ECM, m&a, private equity
- small teams better than big teams?
- I also have some specific questions that I would like to ask people via PM so if you know anyone who has worked in dcm I would appreciate some help!
- anyone have experience with the following cultures: US, Swiss, British, German, japanese : any key adjectives to describe each?
- what are the exit ops like? And can you still be doing it when you are 40 or will I burn out?
- will I have to pass FCA exams and how are they structured? Are they difficult?
Thanks guys :smile:

I can only help you with the culture question. I did some internships and placements in a swiss, american and british banks and i would say that swiss culture is by far the best. It is more relaxed and friendly. The others were very fast paced and with plenty of stress ( especially at bank of america)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Ok just a little update, I have received a figure for the salary and it's shocking Ly low. Happy to tell people via pm. What should an associate/AVP be on?

I am pretty annoyed and not sure if I'll take the offer!
Original post by Bleached
Ok just a little update, I have received a figure for the salary and it's shocking Ly low. Happy to tell people via pm. What should an associate/AVP be on?

I am pretty annoyed and not sure if I'll take the offer!

What was the salary, if you don't mind me asking and for what firm was this?
Reply 5
Comments below in non-screaming caps. I worked in DCM / Lev Fin:

- how much would is the base salary for an analyst/associate/someone with 4 years banking experience [SEE MERGERS AND INQUISITIONS SALARY / BONUS DATA. SHOULD BE SAME AS M&A AT MOST BBs. I WAS ON 45K WHEN I STARTED]
- what are the working hours like with heavy deal flow and a growing bond desk [EARLY START, 12-14 HOUR DAYS. BETTER THAN M&A TEAMS. CAN GET JAMMED SO EXPECT BAD NIGHTS / OCCASIONAL WEEKEND WORK]
- what are the key things that you would be doing and is there much financial modelling and what type? [VARIES. LBO WAS BREAD AND BUTTER FOR ME. COMP WORK IN EXCEL VERY COMMON. USUAL IBD TYPE WORK]
- is it more process driven and can be easily picked up? [YES, VERY PROCESS DRIVEN. IT'S A PRODUCT RATHER THAN SECTOR GROUP. YOU'RE EXECUTION FOR OTHER TEAMS]
- what is more challenging technically: dcm, ECM, m&a, private equity [?? DCM IS PROBABLY THE LEAST, BUT HARD TO SAY.. I'M GLAD I DIDN'T DO M&A...]
- small teams better than big teams? [BIG. MORE HELP FOR JUNIORS. WORKING AT A BANK WITH GOOD DEAL FLOW IS MORE IMPORTANT]
- I also have some specific questions that I would like to ask people via PM so if you know anyone who has worked in dcm I would appreciate some help! [PLEASE DO]
- anyone have experience with the following cultures: US, Swiss, British, German, japanese : any key adjectives to describe each? US, UK. PLEASE PM ME
- what are the exit ops like? And can you still be doing it when you are 40 or will I burn out? OPS ARE MORE LIMITED BUT GOOD. IF YOU LOVE IT, YOU'LL STAY, BUT I DIDN'T
- will I have to pass FCA exams and how are they structured? Are they difficult? EASY ENOUGH BUT YOU NEED TO PUT IN THE WORK. LOTS OF MEMORISATION

Bb.
Reply 6
Thank she guys who have emailed me and shared their experience, I have been given a higher offer which I am personally comfortable with.

Does anyone have experience with smaller firms/botiques? I understand that everyone is obsessed with BB but I guess I am asking of anyone know what pay progression is like at small firms and the hours?

What about small funds such as MIDIS by Macquarie?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending