The Student Room Group

Crash Bandicoot Appreciation/Nostalgia Thread?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lotusbloom
Anyone remember Spyro the Dragon? (before skylander days!)

Spyro was also the **** but maybe he can have his own thread? :tongue:

edit: I'm not kicking you out, rather I'm encouraging Spyro to get equal love!
(edited 9 years ago)
[QUOTE=c.t.14;53015485]Can I just say that this is my favourite thread on TSR.

Truer words have never been spoken. The original is my favourite game of all time.

Talking of speed runs, I had a crack a few years back at the world record speed run for Crash Bandicoot 1, kept getting undone by Slippery Climb every goddamn time!

There was even a level that got deleted from the final version of the game that was a harder version of Slippery Climb - 'Stormy Ascent':

[video="youtube;m6NWqHp5ehQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6NWqHp5ehQ[/video]

I'd have to kick you out if it wasn't :wink:

get my nerd hat on here, how significantly does it differ? Slippery Climb was really ****ing hard even when I was 13 xD
Reply 22
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
I'd have to kick you out if it wasn't :wink:

get my nerd hat on here, how significantly does it differ? Slippery Climb was really ****ing hard even when I was 13 xD

To me, looking at this level, Slippery Climb is like child's play. Although this level does have more checkpoints, part of the reason that made Slippery Climb so hard was the fact that it only had one, and it was really long level. I guess I'd have to play this level for myself to gauge its difficulty.

But since it was cut from the game for being too hard, we can safely assume it'd be near impossible!
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
No, it's someone doing a speedrun of it and completing it in 49 minutes. It's just pretty cool sometimes to see how people exploit bugs/glitches in games to beat them so quickly and usually when you play the game again you get lots of new methods to try.

re-read, no time to watch vid now, what levels are the glitches in?
Crash Bandicoot beta/prototype version guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q_vRicGI84
I loved Crash Bandicoot 2 when you had to jump on the polar bear cub loads of times for ten extra lives. :biggrin:
Original post by Arkasia
I loved Crash Bandicoot 2 when you had to jump on the polar bear cub loads of times for ten extra lives. :biggrin:

in the beta the bear is Voldemort in disguise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1u-w-9T6iY

9:00
in the beta the bear is Voldemort in disguise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1u-w-9T6iY

9:00

Nyehehe :tongue:
Reply 28
Crash Bandicoot was the first Playstation game I ever played. To make it even cooler, the PS1 was connected to a projector.
Reply 29
re-read, no time to watch vid now, what levels are the glitches in?

I watched it, there are no massive glitches, just really small time-saving ones like shortening the Dingodile boss, letting you ride the baby T-Rex when you are being chased by the dinosaur on 'Dino Might!' and kind of jumping over all the rising water in Tomb Wader.

Crash Bandicoot beta/prototype version guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q_vRicGI84

There are some really massive differences in this, especially the start up screen! My favourite one was the crates called 'Pow' instead of TNT haha
Crash 1-3 and Spyro 1-3 are two of the greatest video game trilogies ever made. PS2 ones weren't that great apart from Twinsanity which I felt breathed new life into the franchise. Then they made those terrible ones where crash had tribal tattoos, fought giant monsters and acted like a baby.

I would love to see another Crash Bandicoot and Spyro game.

Sony were wrong to give them up. If they had kept them both as their IPs they could have been as big as Super Mario imo.
(edited 9 years ago)
dat polar bear level music tho

nostalgia overload
Played The Wrath of Cortex with my boyfriend recently, it was my favourite game when I was younger so I had a lot of fun! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
Crash 1-3 and Spyro 1-3 are two of the greatest video game trilogies ever made. PS2 ones weren't that great apart from Twinsanity which I felt breathed new life into the franchise. Then they made those terrible ones where crash had tribal tattoos, fought giant monsters and acted like a baby.

I would love to see another Crash Bandicoot and Spyro game.

Sony were wrong to give them up. If they had kept them both as their IPs they could have been as big as Super Mario imo.

I agree with all the above, though I hated Twinsanity. I haven't like any Crash game that's deviated from the standard format (except Crash Bash and CTR). The new (not-so-new now I suppose) 'Titan' stuff is absolutely awful, I don't like that they gave all the characters a makeover, especially Aku Aku and Uka Uka, they look nothing like what they used to
I wasn't a big Crash Bandicoot fan, but it did make me pay attention to the Playstation as at the time I was a big Sega kid with a Mega Drive. I was brought up on Sonic (Sonic 1-3 is my most favorite game trilogy).

Most of the Playstation games at the time were also ported to the Saturn (at the time I paid more attention to Saturn because I was more interested in the fighting games on the console and was excited about the grand return of Sonic... which didn't happen until the Dreamcast :frown: ), so Crash was like the mascot of Sony to me at the time. It was one of the games (along with Tekken), that really made me pay attention. It was really fresh at the time. The gameplay was fun and the graphics were really cartoony.

Thinking about it now the Playstation was the console that made it more socially acceptable for adults to be seen playing video games. An adult could be seen playing Crash Bandicoot and it didn't have the same stigma as an adult in 92 being caught playing Sonic.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
I wasn't a big Crash Bandicoot fan, but it did make me pay attention to the Playstation as at the time I was a big Sega kid with a Mega Drive. I was brought up on Sonic (Sonic 1-3 is my most favorite game trilogy).

Most of the Playstation games at the time were also ported to the Saturn (at the time I paid more attention to Saturn because I was more interested in the fighting games on the console and was excited about the grand return of Sonic... which didn't happen until the Dreamcast :frown: ), so Crash was like the mascot of Sony to me at the time. It was one of the games (along with Tekken), that really made me pay attention. It was really fresh at the time. The gameplay was fun and the graphics were really cartoony.

Thinking about it now the Playstation was the console that made it more socially acceptable for adults to be seen playing video games. An adult could be seen playing Crash Bandicoot and it didn't have the same stigma as an adult in 92 being caught playing Sonic.

I'm glad Crash brought social revolution in the '90s :wink:
A bump for Crash, some guy made some shoddy Youtube videos in appreciation of him-let him join the fan club! :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-QsV5zNx05tN1i657zGuShWb1ohLxPU9

~I also found a rather risky pic of sexed-up Coco getting hit on by cavalier Tiny :lolwut:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 37
A bump for Crash, some guy made some shoddy Youtube videos in appreciation of him-let him join the fan club! :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-QsV5zNx05tN1i657zGuShWb1ohLxPU9

~I also found a rather risky pic of sexed-up Coco getting hit on by cavalier Tiny :lolwut:

I can't make my mind up if those videos are hilarious or absolutely dire - bit of both I think
Original post by c.t.14
I can't make my mind up if those videos are hilarious or absolutely dire - bit of both I think

I looked up Crash furries in the early hours last night…never again 0_0
Reply 39
I looked up Crash furries in the early hours last night…never again 0_0

What exactly did you see?

Quick Reply

Latest