The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

What is the Southampton law school like?

Self explanatory title. Applying this year as my 5th choice. Can anyone tell me what life is like, is the law school well respected and how many people come out and gain employment in law firms in London and how many get into the Magic Circle firms etc?

Thanks
Hi there - I'm a second (and final) year student on the Accelerated Law course at Southampton.

I've had a really positive experience here. My experience at law fairs, both at the university and elsewhere, has been that the law school has an excellent reputation among employers. I know of a few people who graduated in recent years and got training contracts in the Magic Circle. Many more graduates are working for other City firms. I haven't found that being outside the city is a disadvantage, as there are lots of on-campus events and workshops presented by City firms, as well as events we are invited to in London for which travel expenses are always covered. I don't have any exact numbers about employment in the magic circle/the City, but both are attainable goals for students here.

If you're at all interested in Maritime Law, Southampton is among the world leaders in this area. I recently participated in a Marine Insurance Law moot at Clyde & Co, where my team competed with Cambridge and the University of Law. From talking to students from those law schools, it became clear that Southampton's reputation in this field is well earned. The resources I was able to use in our library during my preparation for the moot weren't available to competitors from other universities, and the faculty in the Maritime Law School (which has its own wing within the law school) are experts in the field.

Hope this helps.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by PortofBrandon
Hi there - I'm a second (and final) year student on the Accelerated Law course at Southampton.

I've had a really positive experience here. My experience at law fairs, both at the university and elsewhere, has been that the law school has an excellent reputation among employers. I know of a few people who graduated in recent years and got training contracts in the Magic Circle. Many more graduates are working for other City firms. I haven't found that being outside the city is a disadvantage, as there are lots of on-campus events and workshops presented by City firms, as well as events we are invited to in London for which travel expenses are always covered. I don't have any exact numbers about employment in the magic circle/the City, but both are attainable goals for students here.

If you're at all interested in Maritime Law, Southampton is among the world leaders in this area. I recently participated in a Marine Insurance Law moot at Clyde & Co, where my team competed with Cambridge and the University of Law. From talking to students from those law schools, it became clear that Southampton's reputation in this field is well earned. The resources I was able to use in our library during my preparation for the moot weren't available to competitors from other universities, and the faculty in the Maritime Law School (which has its own wing within the law school) are experts in the field.

Hope this helps.

hi there! i am applying for the accelerated course this year! i do have some questions though- southampton website states that for the option modules we dont have the choice to do modules such as company law, commercial law, employment law etc. I was wondering if this is true? Also i was wondering if the legal research module is actually compulsory? thank you!
Hey!

I just received my acceptance for the Accelerated Law programme, but with the (JD) pathway that is specific to Canadian students who want to study in the UK. I was wondering if the accelerated programme you are currently in has the same timeline as the one geared towards the Canadian version and what the timeline of the two years is.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi I was wondering, what is the GPA requirement for Southampton accelerated LLB for Canadian students?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending