The Student Room Group

Integration with term outside brackets

02z(z+5) dz \displaystyle \int^2_0 z(z+5)\ dz

I thought that I would isolate the z coeffecient and brackets, to give me, z^2, 5z^2/2

However, according to an online integral calcuator, the correct answer is 2z^3+15z^2/6

Im sorry; but, the latex wont let me put down 20 and 10 for the integration, that is what the original question is asking.

Where am I going wrong?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by apronedsamurai
1020z(z+5) dz \displaystyle \int^{20}_{10} z(z+5)\ dz

I thought that I would isolate the z coeffecient and brackets, to give me, z^2, 5z^2/2

However, according to an online integral calcuator, the correct answer is 2x^3+15x^2/6

Im sorry; but, the latex wont let me put down 20 and 10 for the integration, that is what the original question is asking.

Where am I going wrong?

Are you integrating wrt to z

Why is the x there
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Sorry that was a typo. What is wrt?
Sorry that was a typo. What is wrt?

If we get rid of the x are we integrating dz

Look at the corrected version I have posted in post 2 is that what you are integrating

If so multiply the bracket out and integrate as normal
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Sorry, again, the all the x's were mistakes. Z's
Sorry, again, the all the x's were mistakes. Z's

Again

Please look at what I have put in post 2 is that what you want to integrate
Reply 6
Yes, it is.
Yes, it is.

Then

As I said

Multiply out the bracket and integrate as normal

You can not just integrate the separate bits
Reply 8
Multiplying out the brackets (before integration) yields me z^2+5z?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Would I need to use the substitution method here?
Multiplying out the brackets (before integration) yields me z^2+5z?

Would I need to use the substitution method here?

Why do you think you need to substitute

Increase the power and divide

Btw if you use the reply button on my post I will get a notification that you have replied to me
That is what I am confused by. Do i raise the power of the Z coeffiecent (the Z term outside the brackets) or do I multiply out the brackets, THEN raise the power by one?
That is what I am confused by. Do i raise the power of the Z coeffiecent (the Z term outside the brackets) or do I multiply out the brackets, THEN raise the power by one?

I have answered that question twice already

You cannot apply integration rules to the separate parts

You have multiplied the bracket - NOW you integrate
Thank you very much.

I got the correct answer (3083 and a third) :smile:

I was thrown by the online calculator, as it had gave such a wildly different result, with regards to the integration of the terms :| Perhaps that was just an input error, or I interperted the information incorrectly.

Regardless, I have now taken another step towards understanding integration. Thank you.
02z(z+5) dz \displaystyle \int^2_0 z(z+5)\ dz

However, according to an online integral calcuator, the correct answer is 2z^3+15z^2/6

Where am I going wrong?

The online calculator is wrong, the answer should be (x^3)/3+(5x^2)/2 . I'm not sure how you got to that answer.
I got that answer because I am a moron :smile:
Thank you very much.

I got the correct answer (3083 and a third) :smile:

I was thrown by the online calculator, as it had gave such a wildly different result, with regards to the integration of the terms :| Perhaps that was just an input error, or I interperted the information incorrectly.

Regardless, I have now taken another step towards understanding integration. Thank you.

No problem

The online calculator gave you the correct result for the integration ... But you can do it now anyway 😀
I got that answer because I am a moron :smile:

lol no you're not! anyways are you doing A levels or something similar at a school? Or are you studying calculus on your own?
Original post by gagafacea1
The online calculator is wrong, the answer should be (x^3)/3+(5x^2)/2 . I'm not sure how you got to that answer.

The online calculator gave that ... It simply added the fractions
Original post by TenOfThem
The online calculator gave that ... It simply added the fractions

oh yeah sorry, I interpreted that as (2z^3)+(15z^2/6)

Quick Reply

Latest