Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi all,
I'm American and live in NYC, but I'm also a British citizen as my mum is British.
I'm interested in Spanish and Arabic, but likely will apply to liberal arts. As I'm from the US all my stats are different. Most relevant to the course: I have a 5 in the Spanish AP , which is equivalent to an 'A' A-level, and a 790 SAT Spanish test (which also equals an A, maybe A* as it's out of 800? Not sure.). I've also been studying Arabic for around a year and did an intensive program in Oman last summer. I also have 2250 SAT , no idea to what extent UK schools consider that.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hey guys,
GCSES: 10 A*s
A-levels: English Lit (AQA)
Chemistry (OCR)
German (WJEC)
History (WJEC)

Thinking of English or law!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by azafran
Hi all,
I'm American and live in NYC, but I'm also a British citizen as my mum is British.
I'm interested in Spanish and Arabic, but likely will apply to liberal arts. As I'm from the US all my stats are different. Most relevant to the course: I have a 5 in the Spanish AP , which is equivalent to an 'A' A-level, and a 790 SAT Spanish test (which also equals an A, maybe A* as it's out of 800? Not sure.). I've also been studying Arabic for around a year and did an intensive program in Oman last summer. I also have 2250 SAT , no idea to what extent UK schools consider that.

Hey! I'm in a pretty similar boat to you as a dual citizen (US/UK) in New Jersey! I think UK unis look at your SAT quite closely if you're not doing the IB (I'm an IB student, so I'm not completely sure). I'm sure you've seen this already, but if you haven't the US requirements for Durham are here: https://www.dur.ac.uk/international/countryinfo/?cid=165#ereq :smile:
Original post by JDHOrchard
Hey guys,
GCSES: 10 A*s
A-levels: English Lit (AQA)
Chemistry (OCR)
German (WJEC)
History (WJEC)

Thinking of English or law!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking of law too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ellawhite4686
I'm thinking of law too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm really struggling between the two!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by queenofquirk98
4A*s 4As 3Bs 1C at GCSE, hopefully A*A*AB minimum at A-level. I want to do history.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm also going for history!!
Everyone is so smart compared to me...
2A*s, 7A's, 2B's and 1C at GCSE, predicted A*AA at A Level.
Currently predicted AAAA for AS, hoping to study Biomedical Science.
Reply 67
Original post by afern
Hey! I'm in a pretty similar boat to you as a dual citizen (US/UK) in New Jersey! I think UK unis look at your SAT quite closely if you're not doing the IB (I'm an IB student, so I'm not completely sure). I'm sure you've seen this already, but if you haven't the US requirements for Durham are here: https://www.dur.ac.uk/international/countryinfo/?cid=165#ereq :smile:

Hi! What course(s) are you thinking of applying to?
And yup I've read through the requirements :smile:
Are you planning on applying to any other UK schools? I'm going to apply to Edinburgh and probably Exeter as well. My family is mainly in North Yorkshire though, which make Durham and Edinburgh extra-appealing.
Original post by jill800
x

I would like to go to Durham but I think it is a long shot to say the least as I am a weak candidate.

My subject of entry: Mathematics (BSc)
GCSE Grades: A*AAABBBBB
A-Levels:
-Maths
-Biology
-History
-Psychology (preferably to just AS)
-AS&A2 Further Maths (Year 13)

Im in year 12 btw :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Original post by azafran
Hi! What course(s) are you thinking of applying to?
And yup I've read through the requirements :smile:
Are you planning on applying to any other UK schools? I'm going to apply to Edinburgh and probably Exeter as well. My family is mainly in North Yorkshire though, which make Durham and Edinburgh extra-appealing.

I'm going for history, what about you?
I'm planning on applying to Edinburgh too! I'm also planning on York, Liverpool and then either Cardiff or Leeds
Reply 70
Original post by afern
I'm planning on applying to Edinburgh too! I'm also planning on York, Liverpool and then either Cardiff or Leeds

York's a great city, and the rest of Yorkshire is gorgeous.
Spanish and Arabic at Edinburgh , but will likely apply to combined honours at Durham and Exeter because although I'll likely end up focusing on Spanish and Arabic, I want the opportunity to take, say, an anthropology or econ class. Also I already speak Spanish pretty well so might decide to do Arabic and another subject for my degree, and just take a few Spanish modules.

Do you definitely want to go to uni in the UK? My top choice is Tufts (I'll probably ED), but I like Durham/Edinburgh are very close seconds.
Reply 71
Original post by azafran
York's a great city, and the rest of Yorkshire is gorgeous.
Spanish and Arabic at Edinburgh , but will likely apply to combined honours at Durham and Exeter because although I'll likely end up focusing on Spanish and Arabic, I want the opportunity to take, say, an anthropology or econ class. Also I already speak Spanish pretty well so might decide to do Arabic and another subject for my degree, and just take a few Spanish modules.

Do you definitely want to go to uni in the UK? My top choice is Tufts (I'll probably ED), but I like Durham/Edinburgh are very close seconds.

Ooh that sounds like it should be fun!

Yeah I think I'm going to wind up only applying in the UK, Durham's definitely my number 1 choice.
Original post by afern

I live very close to Liverpool if you have any questions about the city!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey!
Subject I want to do: Biological Science
GCSEs: A*AAAAAAABB
Alevels:
Biology
Psychology
Maths
Chemistry
Predicted grades: AABD :/
honestly if I achieved those predictions do you reckon I'd have a chance? As for extra curricular things I was a Cambridge shadow and I'm a Reading Biology Scholar (extra stuff to put on ucas!)
Original post by Ben4
I would like to go to Durham but I think it is a long shot to say the least as I am a weak candidate.

My subject of entry: Mathematics (BSc)
GCSE Grades: A*AAABBBBB
A-Levels:
-Maths
-Biology
-History
-Psychology (preferably to just AS)
-AS&A2 Further Maths (Year 13)

Im in year 12 btw :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel the same way :frown: but would not say you are a long shot! Of course maths is a competitive course but anything is achievable. Yeah most of us are in year 12 on this thread and although I'm worried let's just hope for the best! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nobodycarescarla
Hey!
Subject I want to do: Biological Science
GCSEs: A*AAAAAAABB
Alevels:
Biology
Psychology
Maths
Chemistry
Predicted grades: AABD :/
honestly if I achieved those predictions do you reckon I'd have a chance? As for extra curricular things I was a Cambridge shadow and I'm a Reading Biology Scholar (extra stuff to put on ucas!)

It depends on the entry requirements for your course, if it's a*aa (I'm in the same boat) then possibly not but it also depends on how competitive applications are and the availability. Same if it's aaa because lots of people applying may already have the grades although it could be possible, I'm not too sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jill800
I feel the same way :frown: but would not say you are a long shot! Of course maths is a competitive course but anything is achievable. Yeah most of us are in year 12 on this thread and although I'm worried let's just hope for the best! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I guess my GCSEs upset me lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone!
10A*s and 1A at GCSE
Going to apply for English Literature next year😊
I'm also looking at Oxford, Exeter, Bristol and UCL.
I've never been anywhere north of London though... going on the Durham open day in June but I have no idea what to expect!! Ahhhh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by west1806
Hey everyone!
10A*s and 1A at GCSE
Going to apply for English Literature next year😊
I've never been anywhere north of London though... going on the Durham open day in June but I have no idea what to expect!! Ahhhh

Posted from TSR Mobile

So so weird, nearly everything identical to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Original post by west1806
Hey everyone!
10A*s and 1A at GCSE
Going to apply for English Literature next year������

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd never been north of London until last summer either, but I went to Durham for a couple of days and absolutely adored it so don't freak out :smile: Everyone was so friendly and I fell it love with it so quickly!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending