The Student Room Group

University chances - have i a made a mistake?

I boldly believed that with 6 choices i would not require a back up. My logic was that one of my six would give me an offer, however when i look at it objectively i cant see myself getting any offers. What do you think, im not gonna worry too much but just wanted a reality check.

My Gcse's were 5 A*s 4 A's and 2 B's
My As levels were ABBC in CC,Hist,Maths,Eng Lit and i got a B in gen studies
Im predicted AABB

I believe that i probably did the wrong subjects in regards to maths and english as i find both tough, even though im at a far better school than where i took my GCSE's. However, wouldnt universities appreciate 4 good A levels that largely compliment my course even if they are not all A's. I have a demanding programme and i would have thought AABB in my subjects is actually better than AAA in History, Art and Sociology (no offence) just for example.

My choices are
UCL - Ancient Hist ABB/AAB
KCL - ditto BBB
Durham ditto ABB/AAB
Bristol ditto ABC
St Andrews ditto AAB
Edinburgh History BBB

cheers
Reply 1
I don't know what CC is but there are plenty of people applying to study (Ancient) History at the universities to which you've applied predicted AAA+ in the subjects which you are studying. My friend is studying History, Maths and English Literature; she's predicted AAA and has applied to some of the universities you have applied to, albeit for History. In any case, that is quite besides the point. :p:

You are predicted grades which the universities you have applied to demand and expect so you have as good a chance as anyone else applying who can meet their predictions.

Stop over-analysing now and just be patient, wait to see if you hear back from them and worry at a later point if you don't.

Fingers crossed.
Reply 2
Olmo - you have two options here: drive yourself crazy fretting about what you cannot change now, or wait and see. Most of the universities you have applied to take a loooong time to make up their minds unless they definitely don't want you, so no news is probably good news! Don't waste your energy: concentrate on your studies and make sure you get those grades!
Reply 3
Worry not dear sir, had you applied for V100 then I'd be worried, as it is there's no cause for concern. In regards to the subjects you took unfortunately I don't think unis really do discriminate too much with the other subjects you take; when I was applying I thought the fact I'd done History, English, Chemistry and Maths and got AABB would stand me in better stead because I'd done 4 rigorous subjects however all evidence I've seen suggests they don't really care as long as you've done History. Whether you do Business Studies or Maths doesn't really seem to help. Although I could be wrong here. So, as ridiculous as it is an A in Business or Media would probably be better than a B in Maths or Chemistry sadly... Lame eh

Lottie: CC = Classical Civilisation I believe.
Reply 4
Do not despair, if you are very unlucky and end up with no offers at all you can then go into UCAS Extra, which allows you to choose another uni (with slightly lower requirements) and have another go!
Can't see it happening myself, I'm sure you will get at least one offer from your 6.

Latest

Trending

Trending