The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

How hard is the IELTS?

Hello I received a conditional offer from Imperial and they are asking for an approved English Qualification. I was born in this country so I am a native English speaker. Will they accept the IELTS? Also how hard is it to get 6.5 (I have C for GCSE English, was a few UMS away from a B)? How long does it take for the Certificate to come in prior to the exam and how do I show the certificate to the University? How can a prepare for it?
(edited 9 years ago)
According to my EAL teacher, it is not that hard for foreigners to get 6.5 in IELTS, but it seems a bit difficult for native speakers to get high score in it (maybe the format is a bit different from GCSE English).
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
I'm in a similar situation, but trying to find a way to resit my English GCSE at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Raymat
Hello I received a conditional offer from Imperial and they are asking for an approved English Qualification. I was born in this country so I am a native English speaker. Will they accept the IELTS? Also how hard is it to get 6.5 (I have C for GCSE English, was a few UMS away from a B)? How long does it take for the Certificate to come in prior to the exam and how do I show the certificate to the University? How can a prepare for it?

Hi, I took the IELTS test last year (British citizen in French system so no GCSE). I booked a date through the online page (dont leave it too late). I sat the exam in April and had the results two weeks later. I scanned the result to Imperial who were also given the result directly from the British Consulate test centre. For me the hardest part was the writing/reading comprehension -probably because it involves graph analysis. But i didnt have much time to revise either. I cant compare it to GCSE but its certainly doable and there is plenty of advice on the website. And you can buy books for more practice if you wish. As a native speaker you should find the Listening and Speaking relatively easy. Otherwise look at the TOEIC. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending