The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by ThatAdamsGuy
Hey all,

I was wondering if anybody had purchased psychology books from Loopa? (http://www.loopa.co.uk/). I'm hesitant to just reach out and buy anything that's insisting you'll get an A* by reading this (I've seen many scams, call me skeptical) but was wondering if anybody had used them before and could recommend or warn about?

Thanks

Yes I have but I'd say that the books aren't that good enough when it comes to sign-posting AO2's. They contain a lot of AO1 points though and IDA's.
Hey all,

I was wondering if anybody had purchased psychology books from Loopa? (http://www.loopa.co.uk/). I'm hesitant to just reach out and buy anything that's insisting you'll get an A* by reading this (I've seen many scams, call me skeptical) but was wondering if anybody had used them before and could recommend or warn about?

Thanks

Hi Adam,

Saj here from Loopa.

Just to clarify my website or ebooks never promise you an A* grade, that is dependant on the work you put in. The website is all real too, it started out as a blog to help people try and recreate the same level of success I had in my own studies and its grown from there having helped thousands. I was actually a former student who posted here on this forum - you only have to search my previous posts to see my journey unfold.

The ebooks help with sourcing theory and evaluation points for essay writing and most people do find them useful (I wouldn't have so many students sending me emails and pictures otherwise) but as with anything, some people may not find it as helpful - it depends what you're after.

If you're unsure I wouldn't recommend purchasing the resources as the people that do buy them generally know what they need them for as they cater for a specific problem (writing theory/evaluation for their respective topics).

There is loads of free resources under the "resources" tab which I add to continuously which you may find useful in your studies too.

Hope this helps and best of luck for your exams,

Saj

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
very, very helpful. purchased both the unit one and unit two books.
honestly, i think the fact that i discovered this website in the summer completely helped me in psychology and when i first started learning it i was getting A's right off the bat with the help of loopa.
i use the essays in the books for information rather than solid revision, they show you points you can include and adapt to your own writing style which you will remember.
also i'd really recommend checking out all of his free resources and the youtube videos - the video on revising for unit 1/2 is such a lifesaver, and now i feel like i've got a solid plan for revising psychology leading up to the summer exams.
i really would recommend the books - they're so good, even my friend at my dance class who lives in a different town mentioned them to me telling me that her psychology teacher and school have bought all of their psychology students the books for their modules.
Reply 4
Would learning only whats in the essays be enough for an A for AS/A* for A2? Do they cover every type of question that is possible? I am sure there are extra little bits that you would need to know for short questions with fewer marks and those questions with examples/case study questions would require more understanding than memorising of previous essays...
Original post by Nisr123
Would learning only whats in the essays be enough for an A for AS/A* for A2? Do they cover every type of question that is possible? I am sure there are extra little bits that you would need to know for short questions with fewer marks and those questions with examples/case study questions would require more understanding than memorising of previous essays...

Saj here from Loopa,

I'm assuming you're referring to my AS ebooks as they are the only exams with smaller questions generally. The ebooks are mainly geared for 6-12 mark questions but you can use them to answer smaller questions too but you need to be good at adapting the answers to more conscise points which not all students feel confident in doing. If you go to loopa you will see on the bottom right a video I made that explains general revision technique but also how you use them AS ebooks and can revise for AS, specifically adapting your answers for the smaller questions which should answer this question better.

Saj
Loopa Psychology

Posted from TSR Mobile
I personally would not recommend them. The information in the A01 is something you will find in your textbook, the content for that section is pretty much similar to what's already in your textbook or other revision websites eg http://www.brain-freeze.co.uk/psychologya2notes.html. Plus, I think the title of the books is misleading, they're not really model answers, particularly the A02/3 it is really just starting points eg if the evaluative point is it is deterministic, he doesn't really expand on it, or add context to the answers which is what you need for an A*. I agree there are many studies in there which would be good to put in your essays; however you could find those in your textbook and I think it is a bit wrong and unfair to name your books A* model answers when you have to put in the majority of the work yourself and only use the books to get a few study names.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Just to add my point on the above;

I would disagree with the above comment as the writer myself. They have proven to help students achieve A-A* grades and I wouldn't have so many emails and pictures students send me as a thank you otherwise, or over 4700 followers on our Facebook study group all commenting on how useful they are finding them. Over 200 schools now use them and theres pictures of teachers and messages they have sent me praising the work. With any product, no matter how good it is, you will get a minority that will say its not what they expect, thats the nature of anything.

The point is not about whether the information can or can't be found in your textbooks - the issue is its not in a ready made format for you to incorporate into your essays and thats what they provide - conscise essays that make revision easier. As for whether they are A-A* grade or not - as someone that scored 100% in both psya3 and psya4 as well as helping thousands of other students do the same (just check the pictures and replies on Loopa) - I beg to differ.

Saj
Original post by faggstagram
very, very helpful. purchased both the unit one and unit two books.
honestly, i think the fact that i discovered this website in the summer completely helped me in psychology and when i first started learning it i was getting A's right off the bat with the help of loopa.
i use the essays in the books for information rather than solid revision, they show you points you can include and adapt to your own writing style which you will remember.
also i'd really recommend checking out all of his free resources and the youtube videos - the video on revising for unit 1/2 is such a lifesaver, and now i feel like i've got a solid plan for revising psychology leading up to the summer exams.
i really would recommend the books - they're so good, even my friend at my dance class who lives in a different town mentioned them to me telling me that her psychology teacher and school have bought all of their psychology students the books for their modules.

Thank you for the kind words. Appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mephestic
Just to add my point on the above;

I would disagree with the above comment as the writer myself. They have proven to help students achieve A-A* grades and I wouldn't have so many emails and pictures students send me as a thank you otherwise, or over 4700 followers on our Facebook study group all commenting on how useful they are finding them. Over 200 schools now use them and theres pictures of teachers and messages they have sent me praising the work. With any product, no matter how good it is, you will get a minority that will say its not what they expect, thats the nature of anything.

The point is not about whether the information can or can't be found in your textbooks - the issue is its not in a ready made format for you to incorporate into your essays and thats what they provide - conscise essays that make revision easier. As for whether they are A-A* grade or not - as someone that scored 100% in both psya3 and psya4 as well as helping thousands of other students do the same (just check the pictures and replies on Loopa) - I beg to differ.

Saj

My issue with the book is you are advertising it as A* model answers when the format itself isn't a model answer it's a collection of different points for the AO2/3 points and studies you can use; not an actual fully written essay. Those people who got A* most likely put in their own work, added context to the answers, elaborated further on the points rather than just writing 'deterministic' so the extent your books are completely responsible for them getting an A* is questionable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pinkberry_y
My issue with the book is you are advertising it as A* model answers when the format itself isn't a model answer it's a collection of different points for the AO2/3 points and studies you can use; not an actual fully written essay. Those people who got A* most likely put in their own work, added context to the answers, elaborated further on the points rather than just writing 'deterministic' so the extent your books are completely responsible for them getting an A* is questionable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Although you put forward a point that could be valid - theres one key thing you've missed that invalidates it - its not me that attributes the students success to my ebooks - its the students themselves, (as well as teachers and even an AQA examiner) and they are actual essays students have used to form their own. You would be daft to copy them word for word as you would have thousands of identical essays and if you follow my website you would know I never recommend that - the guides are for sourcing the information you need and adapting them.

As for how much they have helped students - literally thousands of students attribute them for getting into university and achieving A-A* grades (sometimes solely the ebooks themselves) - Let me show you a small example:

- An AQA examiner - surely she must know what shes talking about right?

Some students who attribute the ebooks as helping them improve:

This girl sat the exam numerous times and even walked out the exam once before in tears before she found my resources to help her improve:

This girl had been scraping D's and then scored 99/100 UMS - again she attributes it to my resources:

Ella and all 2 of her friends score A-A* grades, her picture is on loopa too with 2 other friends.

" I got an A* because of you" - she only sent that email and nothing else on results day...all CAPS ! Again, its her attributing her success to my resources..

Read that above - again she attributes it to my resources and says she wouldn't have even got into university without them!

...I could go on and on? - I have literally thousands of these messages, emails and tweets sent to me over the last 12 months.

So while I respect your opinion I would disagree as would literally thousands of other students now at university - what I have found however is that haters will hate no matter how much help you offer people. I've had people be negative just purely for the sake of being negative towards someone else that is doing something to offer help and because its not the magic fix they expect, they will complain.
(edited 9 years ago)
I got an A* (including 100% in PSYA4) without them. You can't just rote-learn his essay plans as it counts as plagiarising. Just use your textbooks and revision guides and maybe find a few extra studies yourself (go on Google scholar and type in your topic, you only have to read the abstract to get the jist of what's going on and add it to your essay plans). Using new studies will make your essays stand out and show that you've done further reading - something which is essential at university level so why not start doing it now? Also things like instead of just writing the same paragraphs from a textbook on the biological therapies of X look at how they actually work at a biological level. Just do things to make your essay stand out.

My biggest tip is to make sure that at the end of every evaluative point you make link it back to the theory.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 12
Hey all,

Thanks

i used the website to access past papers and if i remember correctly they gave tables of what topics have come up the most frequently for the A2 exams but i didn't buy any books
Original post by Psychteacher33
Dear AQA A-level Psychology students

This is a general comment to do with the LOOPA website and the products it
offers.

If you are thinking of using LOOPA products, it is HUGELY important that you
read the below.

I’m a very experienced Psychology teacher and examiner. Some of my students have paid for and shown me LOOPA’S notes. They also showed me an email he apparently sent out to people on his mailing list a few days ago saying that his notes cover ALL OF THE QUESTIONS you might be asked in the exams.

I’m sure LOOPA is a lovely guy and means well, etc…

His essays were useful for some sections of the old syllabus - which is where the pictures of the smiling students on his website come from…

But…
The ‘model answers’ he is selling are NOT APPROPRIATE for the vast majority of the NEW 2015+ AQA A-LEVEL PSYCHOLOGY exams.
He wrote them for the OLD syllabus and has edited them/included some new
topics but has ignored the fact that the TYPES of questions AQA ask have now
CHANGED.

Most questions are now short and medium length whereas his products only provides the longest 12 and 16 mark essays.
% of 12 and 16 mark long essays for both AS and the A-level exams are now:
Unit 1: 33% essays, 66% short and medium length questions
Unit 2: 13% essays, 87% short and medium length questions
Unit 3: 50% essays, 50% short and medium length questions

Therefore, overall, the 12 or 16 mark long essays only account for 23% of the AS exams + 32% of the A-level exams.

The LOOPA email my students showed me suggested that the vast majority of the exams were based on essays that could be answered using his model
answers.

This is simply wrong.

His website’s main tagline is ‘How To Get An A* Easily’.

With the new syllabus, you are not going to get an A* or anywhere near it by memorising LOOPA’s full-length essay answers.

This is basically MISINFORMATION and MARKETING SPIN and COMPLETELY IMMORAL.

The new A-level is much more about responding to shorter questions and requires a more tailored approach to answering exactly what the question asks rather than just memorising long essays.

There’s plenty more I could say about what LOOPA claims to be offering but...
enough said for the moment.

FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, PLEASE TAKE THIS MESSAGE SERIOUSLY.

ALSO PLEASE PASS THIS EMAIL AROUND to any friends you have who are sitting Psychology AS or A-level to let them know.

There are websites out there which definitely can help you but I would avoid
LOOPA.

Thanks for this :smile:.
I actually came across his website this morning but I only plan on using it to access past papers which have now been removed from the AQA website.
Do you know of any useful websites for the new spec?
Reply 14
i would not recommend buyng loopa books in my opinion i have bought them so i have experienced using them. having compared them to college material they lack some information. the books also have way too much details for example in social influence on the three types of conformity compliane idecntification etc they have like basic well worded desrcriptions in the college books but with saj he goes OTT, his books have way too much detailed information. Another exampple is in milgras research saj gives the description of the milgrams procedure with good detail but its just too much, once i finshed the procdeure one page was full. I know saj is going to argue and say you can choose the points that you want but they overlap with each other so you cant do that. your better of using the college books your teachers give you. And one more thing i .ike to say is that his essays are not A* i memorised one of his essays and was given to the teacher to mark and i recieved 13/16. another point is that the teachers who provide you with the material know what they are talking about as all the teachers in the department work together and share ideas on how to create the best books with saj its all subjective im not saying its wrong but it lacks clarity it is not a risk worth taking. I know he says well look at all the tweets i get sent in from students stating i got an 'A*' with loopa. Basically if you buy loopa you will spend more time revising a section than comapared with colege books and us students always revise just before exams so its better to revuse with information from the college material as you will spend much less time. lastly he may argue you shouldnt memories my essays but him saying you should put it in your own words takes skill some people cant do that it would take more time revsing a section. ive got noting angainst loopa btw.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Billli
i would not recommend buyng loopa books in my opinion i have bought them so i have experienced using them. having compared them to college material they lack some information. the books also have way too much details for example in social influence on the three types of conformity compliane idecntification etc they have like basic well worded desrcriptions in the college books but with saj he goes OTT, his books have way too much detailed information. Another exampple is in milgras research saj gives the description of the milgrams procedure with good detail but its just too much, once i finshed the procdeure one page was full. I know saj is going to argue and say you can choose the points that you want but they overlap with each other so you cant do that. your better of using the college books your teachers give you. And one more thing i .ike to say is that his essays are not A* i memorised one of his essays and was given to the teacher to mark and i recieved 13/16. another point is that the teachers who provide you with the material know what they are talking about as all the teachers in the department work together and share ideas on how to create the best books with saj its all subjective im not saying its wrong but it lacks clarity it is not a risk worth taking. I know he says well look at all the tweets i get sent in from students stating i got an 'A*' with loopa. Basically if you buy loopa you will spend more time revising a section than comapared with colege books and us students always revise just before exams so its better to revuse with information from the college material as you will spend much less time. lastly he may argue you shouldnt memories my essays but him saying you should put it in your own words takes skill some people cant do that it would take more time revsing a section. ive got noting angainst loopa btw.

what was the book that you used -and is it AQA
Reply 16
Original post by joseph9299
what was the book that you used -and is it AQA

i used three books, one was called unit1 and unit 2 and i also purchaesed schizoprenia booklet and yes they were aqa.
Reply 17
Hi I would not recommend it’s a complete rip off he basically copied notes from AQA workbook and I paid money for something he portrayed to be a book but I only received the online version and it was £6.99 and completely unhelpful !!!

Latest

Trending

Trending