The Student Room Group

Any advice for Year 12?

Hi,
I was wondering if people have got any advice for pupils currently studying in Year 12 as should we start to reserch courses or not? In preperation for 2008 and 2009 deffered enrty. As some Year 13 suggest to me to starting about what I want to do at Uni , is this bad?
Reply 1
Yeah start ASAP, some idiots in my year are currently panicking about what courses / unis to choose because they couldn't be bothered when they were in Year 12 = stupid.
Also work as hard as possible for your ASs, because your AS results basically dictate what kind of university you will end up, obviously along with your A2s.
Good luck :biggrin:
It's certainly not necessary to start your research now, but it's never too early to start thinking about it. You could start by thinking about your A-level subjects and whether you want to carry on with any of them or whether you'd prefer to start something different, then use the UCAS course search to find all the unis that offer the course and have a read of their prospectuses/prospectii. If there are any you particularly like the look of, you can find out when their next open day is (usually in the summer, but sometimes in the autumn term of Year 13) and go along. There are obviously many other factors to go on as well to help you narrow it down, such as location, distance from home, accommodation, social life and entry requirements, which will be more useful once you have your AS results and A-level predictions. Your next step would be then be to start jotting down ideas for your personal statement. Obviously you don't need to have all 6 choices finalised and your personal statement perfect by the end of Year 12, but making a start will reduce the stress next year, when you'll also have A2 coursework and January exam preparation to worry about.
Reply 3
kellywood_5
It's certainly not necessary to start your research now, but it's never too early to start thinking about it. You could start by thinking about your A-level subjects and whether you want to carry on with any of them or whether you'd prefer to start something different, then use the UCAS course search to find all the unis that offer the course and have a read of their prospectuses/prospectii. If there are any you particularly like the look of, you can find out when their next open day is (usually in the summer, but sometimes in the autumn term of Year 13) and go along. There are obviously many other factors to go on as well to help you narrow it down, such as location, distance from home, accommodation, social life and entry requirements, which will be more useful once you have your AS results and A-level predictions. Your next step would be then be to start jotting down ideas for your personal statement. Obviously you don't need to have all 6 choices finalised and your personal statement perfect by the end of Year 12, but making a start will reduce the stress next year, when you'll also have A2 coursework and January exam preparation to worry about.
Prospectuses. Can you tell I have an essay to avoid? :wink:

Kellywood gave some great advice. Basically, start looking if you want to, as it will take the pressure off next year. I don't know what your thoughts are on courses, but get some work experience and research into possible careers done. Maybe see if you can stay with someone studying 'your' subject at uni for a day - your school might be able to help you there, or friends of friends are useful!

Then go on to loooking at courses at specific universities, bearing in mind that oyur school may want you to start your personal statement over the summer. I didn't decide what I wanted to do for sure until September (for a course that had a deadline of 15th October), so was a bit of a rush - I don't reccommend leaving it until the last minute!
Reply 4
Thanks on the advice will certainly take it on borad and act upon it. Thanks!
Reply 5
Im with kelly... its too early to be worrying or researching too much... but certainly think about it.
Reply 6
i think after youve finished your as exams, its a wise time to get some w/e,research, drafts of ur ps done.
Reply 7
Focus on getting good grades at AS - it'll make your job much easier, and your application stronger. Especially since unit grades are likely to go on the application form next year.

Latest

Trending

Trending