The Student Room Group
London South Bank University
London

literacy and numeracy test for Nursing at London South Bank and Middlesex

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arogers93
Hello everyone. I have a LSBU interview on Friday. I am rubbish at maths and I am currently retaking it. What sort of questions did they ask? I'm going to spend the entire week revising maths but I'm pretty bad at at. Was the maths test similar to the tes one they have on their website? Reading everyone's comments has made me really nervous.

Thanks in advance.
Abi xx

Almost exactly the same, it's all mental arithmetic so bone up on your multiplication and division. Best of luck :smile:
London
Thank you so much. This has put my mind at rest a little. I'm going to spend the entire week doing maths I think. I got 8/10 on the practice test so hopefully I will be okay :smile: x
Original post by arogers93
Thank you so much. This has put my mind at rest a little. I'm going to spend the entire week doing maths I think. I got 8/10 on the practice test so hopefully I will be okay :smile: x

I found it easier to underline everything I thought was relevant in both the math and literacy and to read twice/answer once for accuracy. The literacy is three comprehensions and 1 long question which was should immigrants have access to NHS services. Again, underline everything and read twice, know whether an article can be described as informative or advisory. The literacy was tricky. You will be fine x
I'm not worried about the English that much. Ive always been quite good with words but not with numbers. Ive probably just jinxed myself now. Thanks for the tip, that's a really good idea with the underlining. Would you say the maths test was focused on division, multiplication, adding, subtracting and that sort of thing?
I got an interview at kingston on the 25th of Feb, however i haven't receive email from LSBU. Anyone had an interview at Kingston? Help me please very worried now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucy_luffy
I got an interview at kingston on the 25th of Feb, however i haven't receive email from LSBU. Anyone had an interview at Kingston? Help me please very worried now

Posted from TSR Mobile

what is it your worried about? The tests? I've applied for Kingston but haven't heard back from them yet xx
I'm worried about the tests and interview. Any idea what sort of questions they going to ask in the literacy test,

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've heard mixed things about LSBU tests. Best thing you can do is look at the practice papers they've provided online. That's what I've done. I'm just practicing my maths. English test I think they give you something to read and ask you questions about it like grammar, spelling or nest the purpose of the text is (inform, persuade and so on). Not sure about the actual questions they ask you in the interview. No one I know has got that far. You sit the exam, if you don't pass then they send you home without and interview x
It's just a mixed feeling of being worried and excited as it is my first interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's just a mixed feeling of being worried and excited as it is my first interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine to. My LSBU interview is Friday and it's my first. So scared xx
I just received an email from LSBU to do a Mendas on test. Good luck for your interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just received an email from LSBU to do a Mendas on test. Good luck for your interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is a Mendas? Thank you x
Reply 32
Original post by babyshawte
Hey!! Thank you :biggrin:

The interviewers are lovely and it's not as frightening as you think. It's ok to feel nervous! I was nervous myself, because there were two nursing lecturers asking questions and writing down on a piece of paper. It's hard to stay calm and to answer questions slowly, despite them saying that you should "take your time".

All the questions they asked, the answers appeared straight away lol

The questions are straightforward, and there's no twist to them. They just want to know more about you, and your knowledge about the profession.

They will ask why you want to do nursing, care experience, cultural awareness, the differences within job roles e.g healthcare assistant and nurse, current issues in the NHS or nursing (they will ask about both), your qualities and if you have any questions.

As for the waiting time, they give you a drink voucher and then once everyone is registered, they will take you to another building where the interview takes place.

I think they call everyone in order, so you might be waiting for a while until they call you. During that time, you can talk to other candidates and do more research on your phone etc.

The interview lasts for 30 mins, but I managed to finish in 15 minutes whereas, other people just took long lol

They got back to me in a week with their decision. Sometimes it could take up to two weeks.

The main thing is to be yourself and to answer the questions as honest as possible.

Since it's your first choice, I'm sure they will know how much you want to study with them ^_^

Make sure you read articles relating to the NHS and Nursing!

Good luck with the interview :biggrin: xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi. I've been reading your comments, they've been so helpful. I've got a interview at mdx on thurs :smile: had one at beds last week but got rejected which knocked my confidence. I been trying to prepare myself as much as possible. Is there no group interview?
Original post by Lucyc87
Hi. I've been reading your comments, they've been so helpful. I've got a interview at mdx on thurs :smile: had one at beds last week but got rejected which knocked my confidence. I been trying to prepare myself as much as possible. Is there no group interview?

Don't let one bad experience stop you from achieving your dream. There's going to be a lot of set backs and failures in life, but at the end of all of that is success!

MDX is wonderful, the interviewers really make you feel at ease and they're not going to ask questions that are complicated.

You may become nervous once you're in the interview, but they expect people to be that way and it's actually ok. Just don't let your nerves ruin your whole interview.

There's no group interview, only individual interviews with two nursing lectures asking questions.

On top of that, if you're not called in early, you can do more research on your phone or iPad etc. Also, talking to other people in the waiting area can make you feel relaxed.

Don't not overflow your mind with too much information, try to relax and take your time to answer the question (not too long though lol).

Digest the question before answering.

I hope you get an offer from them!

Good luck xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's an online test. But anyways i got an interview at lsbu next week friday the 13th

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucyc87

Hi Lucy :smile: I think I met you today, how did it go?
Reply 36
Original post by pollyabu
Hi Lucy :smile: I think I met you today, how did it go?

Hey. Yeh I thought it was you. Sorry I didn't come over after, I'm not sure if you'd gone in. I found it ok actually, they were really nice :smile: which ones did you have? And how did u find it?
Original post by Lucyc87
Hey. Yeh I thought it was you. Sorry I didn't come over after, I'm not sure if you'd gone in. I found it ok actually, they were really nice :smile: which ones did you have? And how did u find it?

Hahaha they forgot me!! I was there until 1pm with another guy, I was STARVING and the guy that was chatting to us after his interview? He stayed talking at me the whole time!!! He was lovely, bless him, but I was tired, hungry, and really nervous and I had to keep chatting with him because he would't go home. My brain and jaw hurt, so I just got up at one stage and said, "I need to stand over here now for a bit" and he started chatting to the other forgotten dude. It was horrendous, by the time it was my interview it was 16 mins long (I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but we had a little laugh and joke) I was so hungry I couldn't think straight really and I actually told them that they had turned into giant talking sandwiches. I really can't call it. I had the lady that was in the middle room. She seemed strict but nice at the end :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by pollyabu
Hahaha they forgot me!! I was there until 1pm with another guy, I was STARVING and the guy that was chatting to us after his interview? He stayed talking at me the whole time!!! He was lovely, bless him, but I was tired, hungry, and really nervous and I had to keep chatting with him because he would't go home. My brain and jaw hurt, so I just got up at one stage and said, "I need to stand over here now for a bit" and he started chatting to the other forgotten dude. It was horrendous, by the time it was my interview it was 16 mins long (I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but we had a little laugh and joke) I was so hungry I couldn't think straight really and I actually told them that they had turned into giant talking sandwiches. I really can't call it. I had the lady that was in the middle room. She seemed strict but nice at the end :smile:

Oh no!! That's awful, I'm sure U did fine :smile: that's such a long time to wait!! im surprised he didn't want to go home? I've no idea how long I was in there for, they said we'd find out in 1-2 weeks, im so nervous about hearing :/
Are the tests difficult? What sort of question do they ask in the tests and in the interview? Really worrying now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending