The Student Room Group

Lancaster + Edinburgh Conditional Offer Strictness?

I'm an American, btw.
I've been accepted with conditional offers to Edinburgh and Lancaster (waiting on Queen's Belfast, unconditional to Oxford Brookes and rejected to York if it matters) and they're my top choices.
I'm in my second year of uni here in the US, so Lancaster's offer was finish the year with 3.3 GPA, while Edinburgh's offer was finish the year with a 3.25 GPA. I would be starting at year 1 for Lancaster and year 2 for Edinburgh.
My GPA is currently 3.08 :frown: I've been having a lot of issues with studying+balancing school and work and some stress due to that, not that it matters. I did use a GPA calculating website and if I remember correctly if I got A's for the rest of the year then I could get a 3.28 GPA.
A fellow American on here told me that universities accept students who don't meet their conditionals all the time, is that true? How strict do you think these two would be?
Reply 1
Original post by D_ecrivaine
I'm an American, btw.
I've been accepted with conditional offers to Edinburgh and Lancaster (waiting on Queen's Belfast, unconditional to Oxford Brookes and rejected to York if it matters) and they're my top choices.
I'm in my second year of uni here in the US, so Lancaster's offer was finish the year with 3.3 GPA, while Edinburgh's offer was finish the year with a 3.25 GPA. I would be starting at year 1 for Lancaster and year 2 for Edinburgh.
My GPA is currently 3.08 :frown: I've been having a lot of issues with studying+balancing school and work and some stress due to that, not that it matters. I did use a GPA calculating website and if I remember correctly if I got A's for the rest of the year then I could get a 3.28 GPA.
A fellow American on here told me that universities accept students who don't meet their conditionals all the time, is that true? How strict do you think these two would be?

Always some flexibility around confirmation time - but depends on how everyone else performs too. Possibly a bit more flex with Edinburgh I'd suppose as could always offer to let you into year 1 with a slightly lower score I'd guess.
Original post by Geomum
Always some flexibility around confirmation time - but depends on how everyone else performs too. Possibly a bit more flex with Edinburgh I'd suppose as could always offer to let you into year 1 with a slightly lower score I'd guess.

THIS

Although the level of flexibility depends on a whole range of things - including the subject you're applying to (some subjects have high offers to limit demand while others have high offers because that level of achievement is needed to do well on the course).

There's no harm in you contacting your universities and asking them directly what sort of flexibility they might have around the offer conditions - while it would be a guess on their part (without knowing how every other applicant has done they can't know the answer for sure) it is a better guess than can be made by anyone outside the university. It might be possible for them to reassure you (or be very clear that they're strict about offer conditions) which means you can pick your firm and insurance with a bit more confidence.
Original post by PQ
THIS

Although the level of flexibility depends on a whole range of things - including the subject you're applying to (some subjects have high offers to limit demand while others have high offers because that level of achievement is needed to do well on the course).

There's no harm in you contacting your universities and asking them directly what sort of flexibility they might have around the offer conditions - while it would be a guess on their part (without knowing how every other applicant has done they can't know the answer for sure) it is a better guess than can be made by anyone outside the university. It might be possible for them to reassure you (or be very clear that they're strict about offer conditions) which means you can pick your firm and insurance with a bit more confidence.

Okay, there's a thread on here where Lancaster admissions is answering questions, I posted and am waiting to here back. I could email Edinburgh I guess. My course for Edinburgh is Ecological and Environmental Sciences and for Lancaster it's Environmental Biology, so those might be pretty small, not sure about competitiveness....
Okay, there's a thread on here where Lancaster admissions is answering questions, I posted and am waiting to here back. I could email Edinburgh I guess. My course for Edinburgh is Ecological and Environmental Sciences and for Lancaster it's Environmental Biology, so those might be pretty small, not sure about competitiveness....

Neither course is likely to be fighting off applicants....but they might have their intake numbers constrained by lab sizes which might limit their flexibility. Or they might have a particular preference for higher grades in specific subjects if you miss out on the overall GPA.
Original post by PQ
Neither course is likely to be fighting off applicants....but they might have their intake numbers constrained by lab sizes which might limit their flexibility. Or they might have a particular preference for higher grades in specific subjects if you miss out on the overall GPA.

At least for Lancaster it sucks because my high school grades were much better (3.78) I wish they could go off those. But maybe they taken into consideration that college is more difficult. That make sense. Hopefully I can do better these next to terms and raise my GPA at least to around 3.2 to better my chances.
On a slightly different matter, if you meet your conditional offer does the school still not have to accept you? Is that the purpose of the firm and insurance choices? And there's a 3rd choice right
At least for Lancaster it sucks because my high school grades were much better (3.78) I wish they could go off those. But maybe they taken into consideration that college is more difficult. That make sense. Hopefully I can do better these next to terms and raise my GPA at least to around 3.2 to better my chances.
On a slightly different matter, if you meet your conditional offer does the school still not have to accept you? Is that the purpose of the firm and insurance choices? And there's a 3rd choice right

If you meet your firm offer they have to take you.

If you miss your firm offer then your firm gets first refusal. If they reject and you meet your insurance offer then they have to take you.

If you miss your firm and ins offer and both decide to reject you then you get placed into clearing which lets applicants find places that are left on other courses/unis.
Original post by PQ
If you meet your firm offer they have to take you.

If you miss your firm offer then your firm gets first refusal. If they reject and you meet your insurance offer then they have to take you.

If you miss your firm and ins offer and both decide to reject you then you get placed into clearing which lets applicants find places that are left on other courses/unis.

Oh man....But even if you don't make you firm offer you can still be accepted, right?
For some reason I thought there was a 3rd option....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending