The Student Room Group

My name's "Osamah". What's in store for me later on in life?

I was raised in a moderately Islamic family and my name was chosen by my grandmother as a reference to a close follower of the Prophet Muhammad, before Osama Bin Ladin became the poster child for terrorism. My childhood was often filled with people joking around and calling me a terrorist - mostly my classmates, but occasionally the uncivilised adult *cough*bikeability instructor*cough* would reference fundamentalism. I'm now in Year 12, ofc will be leaving home for uni in less than two years and I'm starting to wonder how my name will affect my adult life. Most adults I've met recently on things like work experience are incredibly nice and don't think twice about my name. Would people discriminate against me? How do I get over the basic assumption that I'm a Muslim?
Osama is a beautiful name, kind of like Obama
Are you Muslim?
You have a great name, be proud!
You won't be discriminated against. If that were the case then there'd be no Ian's or Fred's in University because of association with Fred West and Ian Brady.
Reply 5
Not gonna lie, there will be some people who will make jokes and belittle you. These are not the people you want to be friends with. The ones who say "osamah, cool name" are the ones you want to keep.
"I'm osamah."
"Like the terrorist?"
Don't be friends with these guys.
Unless you can clearly tell they're joking, and not trying to be offensive...
"I'm osamah"
"Cool, I'm Dave"
These guys are the ones to keep :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know plenty of Mohammeds no one really cares if they're decent. It's only a name
Original post by somemightsay888
You won't be discriminated against. If that were the case then there'd be no Ian's or Fred's in University because of association with Fred West and Ian Brady.

Difference is though that Fred and Ian and common names in UK, whereas Osamah is rare
Don't sweat it. My parents named me Jazz and I was bullied by everyone in high school calling me "Jizz." Just be proud of your name!
Reply 9
Don't threat, you didn't choose you name!

But.. like... sit right over there please.

Quick Reply

Latest