The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Manchester Met Interview 2015 for Primary Education

Hi guys!

So I've been invited to interview on 21st Jan to MMU for the Primary Education course. However, I am still awaiting the email including details of the day and wanted to prepare. I was just wondering if anyone would be able to provide me with this info if they too have been invited or have already been to an interview here this year whilst I await a reply? Not sure if we have to do a presentation or bring in an object etc?

Thank you very much, all help is much appreciated and good luck to all! :smile:

Hattie Ross

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! i also have my interview on the 21st January for Primary Education!

The interview will be in three parts which are explained as an introduction, a group discussion and a two minute individual presentation followed by questions.

The group discussion is based on DVD stimulus. The presentation is a two minute talk in a small group. You can take prompt notes but reading from a script will result in your being marked down.

The topics for the presentation are:
Is the gender of the teacher an issue for children's learning in Primary Schools?

From my perspective,as a learner,what makes a good lesson is..? what i would do as a teacher to incorporate these ideas into my teaching.

As a teacher how i would support and encourage children's learning?

Some teachers say that there is no room for the wider curriculum of the arts and creativity sports because of the pressure for children to achieve well in core as measured in national curriculum tests. What do you think the balance should be?

What part should Primary Schools play in issues of sustainability and global warming?

Why do you think adding Modern Foreign Languages to the primary curriculum is a good idea?

A current educational issue that has caught my interest.

So you chose one of those topics and prepare for a two minute talk. It states its not a formal presentation so you dont need like a power point etc.

Hope I've helped and Good Luck on Wednesday! What time is your interview?
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Original post by beccccsx
Hi! i also have my interview on the 21st January for Primary Education!

The interview will be in three parts which are explained as an introduction, a group discussion and a two minute individual presentation followed by questions.

The group discussion is based on DVD stimulus. The presentation is a two minute talk in a small group. You can take prompt notes but reading from a script will result in your being marked down.

The topics for the presentation are:
Is the gender of the teacher an issue for children's learning in Primary Schools?

From my perspective,as a learner,what makes a good lesson is..? what i would do as a teacher to incorporate these ideas into my teaching.

As a teacher how i would support and encourage children's learning?

Some teachers say that there is no room for the wider curriculum of the arts and creativity sports because of the pressure for children to achieve well in core as measured in national curriculum tests. What do you think the balance should be?

What part should Primary Schools play in issues of sustainability and global warming?

Why do you think adding Modern Foreign Languages to the primary curriculum is a good idea?

A current educational issue that has caught my interest.

So you chose one of those topics and prepare for a two minute talk. It states its not a formal presentation so you dont need like a power point etc.

Hope I've helped and Good Luck on Wednesday! What time is your interview?

Hey guys I'm going to the interview on 21st too!
Which question have you prepared to answer? I'm doing the one about Foreign Languages but I'm worried loads of other people might have chosen that one too because it seemed like the one with most to talk about. :s-smilie:
Hi guys! Please let me know how it goes, I have my interview for MMU on March 4th! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi Becs,

Thank you so much for providing me with all of this detailed information I cant thank you enough for spending your time to help me!

Have you decided which topic you are going to talk about? I'm torn between gender and MFL.

Oh really, what time does your interview day begin? I'm at 13:00-15:00.

Thanks again for all your help, it is very kind of you! Good luck with your interview :smile:

Hattie
Reply 5
Original post by hattie.ross
Hi Becs,

Thank you so much for providing me with all of this detailed information I cant thank you enough for spending your time to help me!

Have you decided which topic you are going to talk about? I'm torn between gender and MFL.

Oh really, what time does your interview day begin? I'm at 13:00-15:00.

Thanks again for all your help, it is very kind of you! Good luck with your interview :smile:

Hattie

Its fine,im glad i could help!
My interview is at 13:00 aswell so i will see you Wednesday! I've chosen the MFL topic.
I'm on the primary ed course at mmu so if you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by AriesGirl
I'm on the primary ed course at mmu so if you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!

So I've been told that due to the new building, the course here is quite unorganised, would you share the same opinion? Personally when I came to the open days (twice!) I loved all the new facilities but just wondered if I could have a second persons inside view?

Thanks very much,

Hattie
I am also at the interview tomorrow at 1pm hope it goes well for everyone! My information about the interview was an attachment on the email inviting me for the interview. Soo nervous!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Good Luck for you interviews!! xxx
Reply 10
When did everyone submit their UCAS? I still haven't heard from MMU yet. How long did everyone wait? Thanks xxx
Original post by Hanna07
When did everyone submit their UCAS? I still haven't heard from MMU yet. How long did everyone wait? Thanks xxx

Hmmm it was about 3 weeks but that included christmas holidays. When did you send your ucas off?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was fairly unorganised to begin with but I believe it was due to the whole move to Birley fields campus, they have been quite unorganised with placement distribution as a lot of schools have been pulling our so if you can keep a school in mind that you can recommend to take you on incase. Everyone gets placed eventually so you will be fine with that. Timetable organisation at the moment is shocking, it probably isn't going to be as bad for you as they will have worked something our for newcomers but for existing students I don't think it's going to change so I don't think this will affect you. Overall I love it here, you just sometimes have to be patient with the uni even though being placed late can be a pain in the arse, not everything's going to be perfect but at the moment it's suffice enough for me :smile: x
Reply 13
Original post by fairyfairyfairy
Hmmm it was about 3 weeks but that included christmas holidays. When did you send your ucas off?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sent it off during the Christmas holidays lol I guess I'm just stressing out. I hate waiting...I really hope I get an interview!
Hi guys!

So I've been invited to interview on 21st Jan to MMU for the Primary Education course. However, I am still awaiting the email including details of the day and wanted to prepare. I was just wondering if anyone would be able to provide me with this info if they too have been invited or have already been to an interview here this year whilst I await a reply? Not sure if we have to do a presentation or bring in an object etc?

Hattie Ross

How did it go yesterday? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did it go yesterday? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! So I think it went fairly well thank you (without jinxing anything!) So registration was really simple, literally just ticked our name off the list and got a name label! Parents were allowed to stay for the introductory talk which covered similar areas as on the open day; the structure of the course, placements and QTS tests. After that we watched a 12 minute video (parents stayed for this too which I thought was odd as its part of the interview!!) We were then put into groups and discussed what we saw in the video and then gave our 2 minute talk and that was pretty much it! The day was fairly relaxed and informal so nothing to worry about, good luck! X
Hi! So I think it went fairly well thank you (without jinxing anything!) So registration was really simple, literally just ticked our name off the list and got a name label! Parents were allowed to stay for the introductory talk which covered similar areas as on the open day; the structure of the course, placements and QTS tests. After that we watched a 12 minute video (parents stayed for this too which I thought was odd as its part of the interview!!) We were then put into groups and discussed what we saw in the video and then gave our 2 minute talk and that was pretty much it! The day was fairly relaxed and informal so nothing to worry about, good luck! X

Ah that doesn't sound to bad! Were the other people in your group quite shy? Or extroverted? Like did the conversation flow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Ah that doesn't sound to bad! Were the other people in your group quite shy? Or extroverted? Like did the conversation flow?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey!

I got a interview!!!! 12th March!
Reply 18

Glad to hear yours went well! x
Reply 19
Hi guys!

Hattie Ross

Do they give you an individual interview? Do they go through your PS or anything? xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending