The Student Room Group

Which University should I go to? Exeter, Reading?

Here's a dilemma I am currently facing. Currently, I am doing a third year in college simply because I wanted to drop two of my options during my first year of college. Last August, I got my results and it turns out, I have A*A*A* in Photography, Psychology and EPQ A-levels. For the extra AS I am doing, I got an A as well. I do not know how relevant this might be, but hey. I am applying to do Psychology at University of Reading/ Exeter- they have both given me conditional offers. Exeter wants a C from me and Reading wants an A or a B. I've already been to Reading uni and I absolutely loved it. The course seemed to be suited for me. I haven't been to Exeter uni yet but I am going soon. Although it seems like I already have my own opinion on which I want to go to, I would like to hear of what you guys have to say about Exeter since it's rather prestigious and has a very good reputation. Please help. :smile:
Hi there! I also applied to Reading and Exeter (for politics) and got offers from both. AAA from Exeter and ABB from Reading.
Exeter is a beautiful city (but feels like a big town) and the university has a great campus as well. The sport there is great as is the social life.
Depending on where you live, it is a long journey from the South East, Midlands or North - but this irrelevant if travelling or being far from home don't rate highly for you.
Accomodation at Exeter is varied but the whole campus/city is built into a large hill so be prepared for some steep walking and powerful legs by the time you've finished studying!

Reading, for me, was just as nice. I liked both campuses almost equally but the main forum at Exeter was very impressive and modern.
The accomodation at Reading is modern and current and the campus is well spaced and very green.

In terms of catering, Exeter has a clear distinction between self and catered packages. Your halls tend to have dining halls within them where catered meals are served. At Reading, you get a pre-loaded campus card with money to spend at any of the eateries on campus, so Exeter is very much traditional in this area.

Both universities have their merits. Exeter rates highly on the league tables and Reading rates highly with research and course tailoring (choosing your modules and what to study).
Both rate highly for student satisfaction.

In the end, your decision should come down to which university has the best course for you and the better option for your living needs and costs.
It was very difficult for me to choose between these universities. I chose Reading in the end for the fact I can tailor my course, it's close to London, closer to home too and I preferred the accomodation there. That and the grades are lower. Having said that, had Exeter offered me AAB, I possibly would have firmed that one.

Sorry for the exceptionally long post, but hopefully this helps. Just ask if you have more questions. My boyfriend did his first degree at Exeter (History) so I know a little more about life there as well (he absolutely loved it).
Original post by emilychenwt
I've received conditional offers of AAA and AAB from Exeter and Reading respectively. However I'll only choose either one as my firm choice. I like how Exeter is a historic city but it's a little too far from London (I'm an international student so either ways I'm still far from home) and they always say it's always more convenient to be around London? As for Reading, I really love the green environment, especially when the law school is in Foxhill campus, absolutely lovely. Plus, it is just 20 minutes away from London!

I've done some reading and I'm aware that Exeter is a Russell Group university but Reading is not. I will gladly firm Reading as my firm choice but I'm afraid by giving up Exeter that is much reputable, it will cause a negative impact to my prospective career pathways.

It would be really helpful to know if giving up a RG university is a bad decision or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Location wise, Reading is much more convenient in terms of London, rail connections and airports.
Exeter is beautiful but you should choose your university on the course that is right for you.
Russell Group universities are not guaranteed to be good (although Exeter is) as some uni's which are not Russell Group beat them in the league tables. While the uni's are typically well- respected, the Group is just a name and a decision should ideally not be made on whether it is or not.
Exeter is a very reputable university and Reading has its merits as well. In terms of gaining placements and jobs post-degree, the name of the university doesn't have too large an impact (unless it's Oxford/Cambridge). Some institutions/companies may favour some names over others but in the end a 2:1 or a first class degree is the same anywhere you go. If the course is right for you, then you should go where you think you will be most likely to get a better grade! Don't worry too much about the wide scale reputation. Both Exeter and Reading are very good universities.

If you feel you are not happy once you are at one of the uni's, it is not impossible to change which uni you are at and do a transfer to a different university. It's not as difficult as you may think!
Reply 3
Original post by fionaapaterson
Location wise, Reading is much more convenient in terms of London, rail connections and airports.
Exeter is beautiful but you should choose your university on the course that is right for you.
Russell Group universities are not guaranteed to be good (although Exeter is) as some uni's which are not Russell Group beat them in the league tables. While the uni's are typically well- respected, the Group is just a name and a decision should ideally not be made on whether it is or not.
Exeter is a very reputable university and Reading has its merits as well. In terms of gaining placements and jobs post-degree, the name of the university doesn't have too large an impact (unless it's Oxford/Cambridge). Some institutions/companies may favour some names over others but in the end a 2:1 or a first class degree is the same anywhere you go. If the course is right for you, then you should go where you think you will be most likely to get a better grade! Don't worry too much about the wide scale reputation. Both Exeter and Reading are very good universities.

If you feel you are not happy once you are at one of the uni's, it is not impossible to change which uni you are at and do a transfer to a different university. It's not as difficult as you may think!

That helps a lot. Thank you so much! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emilychenwt
That helps a lot. Thank you so much! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Emily! I'm also applying for Psychology and received a conditional offer from both Exeter and Reading. I'm in the exact same position as you are, in terms of being an international student and worrying about careers after university. I was wondering which university you chose in the end and why? Because it'll definitely help me out. Also, I've been worried about student/night life in Exeter as its a small town and away from London with not much to compared to Reading. What's your opinion on this? Thanks! xx

Quick Reply

Latest