The Student Room Group
I think that is probably subject and institution dependent, to a certain extent, but it isn't really shocking - they do work us Oxbridgers very hard, esp in the sciences as the report suggests. Arts gives you greater flexibility, but we still have to do more essays and seminar presentations than at most other universities, that's just how things are.
This report is going to be the Holy Grail for many intellectually snobby students. However, if you have any sense (and wish to make a judgement) you should firstly, read the report in full yourself. And secondly, realise, as White Redrose says, the distinction between arts degrees and science degrees.

There are many discrepancies within the report, such as measuring ability on UCAS points. Which we know has a lot to do with school background and social status rather than ability.

I think this report should be approached with caution.
This can apply within an institution too though. Some courses require about 20 hours a week whereas some require 40. I have pretty much had at least one deadline per week since the start of term, plus reading, whereas others at my university can get away with doing about 5 hours of reading and handing in a couple of essays in the last two weeks of term.
I'm not really surprised by the findings - if you are lucky enough to get into Oxford then you receive more attention and one-to-one tuition anyway. I imagine quite a lot of those 45 hours are not self-study.
Pretty Boy Floyd
This report is going to be the Holy Grail for many intellectually snobby students. However, if you have any sense (and wish to make a judgement) you should firstly, read the report in full yourself. And secondly, realise, as White Redrose says, the distinction between arts degrees and science degrees.

There are many discrepancies within the report, such as measuring ability on UCAS points. Which we know has a lot to do with school background and social status rather than ability.

I think this report should be approached with caution.

Yes, definitely...reports like this one pop up all the time, are good to stimulate debate I suppose but are mostly based on conjecture anyway. like I said, a lot of my friends doing science subjects find the course v. draining and demanding and put in a lot of hours besides their 9-5 practical days in the lab etc. but many manage to scrape through without working every hour in the day. It's all relative.
Once again people are confusing hours worked and 'effort' with ability. Of course I think the survey is dubious to say the least, how were the students surveyed? Getting people to self-assess is always a highly suspect way to get to the truth.

Latest