The Student Room Group

Trainee biomedical scientist

Hey,

I wondered if anybody could help.. I'm currently studying Bsc Hons Biomedical Science degree and graduating in July. I'm interested in going into haematology and im aware I need at least 1 years laboratory training before I can apply for biomedical scientist jobs.

The problem is I can't seem to find many trainee jobs advertised. Is there another way around this such as applying straight to laboratories? or do I just need to wait for more to start advertising, perhaps when laboratories know students have graduated?
Reply 1
Original post by coolpenguin
Hey,

I wondered if anybody could help.. I'm currently studying Bsc Hons Biomedical Science degree and graduating in July. I'm interested in going into haematology and im aware I need at least 1 years laboratory training before I can apply for biomedical scientist jobs.

The problem is I can't seem to find many trainee jobs advertised. Is there another way around this such as applying straight to laboratories? or do I just need to wait for more to start advertising, perhaps when laboratories know students have graduated?

1) They are few and far between hardly any of these posts appear and are normally generated for internal candidates.

2) Did you complete the portfolio year? If not apply to roles such as medical lab assistant , medical technical officer so that you can get this experience.

3) Some labs do offer the chance to work for free for experience - you just need to ask around.

Hope this helps
Reply 2
No my university has scrapped the placement year so the portfolio is what I need to complete during my training year once I graduate as I cant register with the HCPC until after training.

I'm worried I wont find anything and that I should be applying before I graduate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending