The Student Room Group

EU President says it's time for the UK to leave the EU & rejects any treaty reform

Scroll to see replies

Girl, bye!
Original post by MatureStudent36
One of the most corrupt politicians in Europe and the man responsible for some of the most prolific tax avoidance legislation is annoyed with us?

David Cameron?

George Osbourne?
Reply 22
You will be back eventually :wink:.
Original post by Stalin
David Cameron?

George Osbourne?

Junkers. Espnnsible for many a tax avoidance law being passed in Luxembourg
Junkers. Espnnsible for many a tax avoidance law being passed in Luxembourg

Oh, and there was me thinking you had a problem with Dave and George, you know, the guys who fought against the EU regarding bankers' bonuses, allow multinational corporations to pay little or no tax, and haven't put a stop to tax loop-holes.
Original post by Stalin
Oh, and there was me thinking you had a problem with Dave and George, you know, the guys who fought against the EU regarding bankers' bonuses, allow multinational corporations to pay little or no tax, and haven't put a stop to tax loop-holes.

Yup. That was my thinking too.

Whenever I complain about tax dodging in this country I just get the "do you really want to scare the capital away Butterfly?" "stupid lefty, wants to make everyone poor" "we should let people starve instead"
(edited 9 years ago)
Personally I think the EU is a dying giant. Ireland, Greece, Portugal, Iceland wanting to leave, the UK becoming more distant, the rise of far right groups, more and more regular folk who just want it done with, the list goes on.

And frankly I'm glad though though how those countries who are already struggling (my own included though its recovering now) when the Euro currency collapses is certainly something to worry about
Original post by silverbolt
Personally I think the EU is a dying giant. Ireland, Greece, Portugal, Iceland wanting to leave, the UK becoming more distant, the rise of far right groups, more and more regular folk who just want it done with, the list goes on.

Ireland, Greece and Portugal want to leave? Source?

Iceland isn't in the EU.

And frankly I'm glad though though how those countries who are already struggling (my own included though its recovering now) when the Euro currency collapses is certainly something to worry about

When will the euro collapse? I wasn't aware it had a use-by date.
Reply 28
The EU costs Britain £55 million a day; roughly £20 billion a year. We get little back and this money could be better spent on healthcare or education. Immigration is spiralling out of control and putting a strain on public services (anyone who disagrees is naïve). We can form our own trade deals, especially strengthening those with America, so there is no reason why our economy would be negatively affected. It's time we left the EU for good. Vote UKIP to keep the strong nation of Britain we have known.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Yup. That was my thinking too.

Whenever I complain about tax dodging in this country I just get the "do you really want to scare the capital away Butterfly?" "stupid lefty, wants to make everyone poor" "we should let people starve instead"

The EU president Junkers set up some of the most prolific tax avoidance schemes in Europe to draw business to Luxembourg.

Check out luxembourgs gdp per capita.
The EU president Junkers set up some of the most prolific tax avoidance schemes in Europe to draw business to Luxembourg.

Check out luxembourgs gdp per capita.

I'm not disputing that. They are all a bunch of ******s. I'm disputing the hypocrisy of crying tax avoidance like it is a bad thing when this lot do it then on the other hand making all the usual excuses against clamping down on tax in this country. Our governments have done the very same, the ones you praise so much.
I'm not disputing that. They are all a bunch of ******s. I'm disputing the hypocrisy of crying tax avoidance like it is a bad thing when this lot do it then on the other hand making all the usual excuses against clamping down on tax in this country. Our governments have done the very same, the ones you praise so much.

You mean like cameron trying to get the g20 to clamp down on tax avoidance?

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/david-cameron-press-conference-g20-brisbane-australia
You mean like cameron trying to get the g20 to clamp down on tax avoidance?

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/david-cameron-press-conference-g20-brisbane-australia

He can say what he wants. His parties actions (I include labour in this as well) speak otherwise.

The whole premise behind their economic ideology is to cut back the state and deregulate. Are you really going to try and tell me otherwise? Yes you are.
(edited 9 years ago)
He can say what he wants. His parties actions (I include labour in this as well) speak otherwise.

You mean like clamping down on tax avoidance?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/autumn-statement/11284781/Google-Tax-targets-double-Irish-tax-avoidance.html
Original post by Stalin
Ireland, Greece and Portugal want to leave? Source?

Iceland isn't in the EU.

When will the euro collapse? I wasn't aware it had a use-by date.

Sorry I didnt mean they wanted to leave, I was referring to the economic crash/recessions of those countries.

Iceland wants to withdraw its application for the EU.

If the EU dies/disbands/whatever then I very much doubt those countries in the EU will retain the currency.

Mistake before.
One of the most corrupt politicians in Europe and the man responsible for some of the most prolific tax avoidance legislation is annoyed with us?

You didn't seem to mind siding with him when it came to Scottish independence. :rolleyes:
Original post by Zander01
You didn't seem to mind siding with him when it came to Scottish independence. :rolleyes:

Junkers?

The man's a t*t.
Sorry I didnt mean they wanted to leave, I was referring to the economic crash/recessions of those countries.

Ireland has recovered, though.

I agree that Greece is ****ed, with Spain, Portugal and Italy on the verge for the foreseeable future.

Iceland wants to withdraw its application for the EU.

A country that has a population of 300,000 certainly won't derail the future of the EU.

If the EU dies/disbands/whatever then I very much doubt those countries in the EU will retain the currency.

This depends entirely on whether or not Germany drops the euro if the EU were to 'die/disband'.
Original post by Stalin
Ireland has recovered, though.

I agree that Greece is ****ed, with Spain, Portugal and Italy on the verge for the foreseeable future.

A country that has a population of 300,000 certainly won't derail the future of the EU.

This depends entirely on whether or not Germany drops the euro if the EU were to 'die/disband'.

Not where I live it hasnt. We are recovering but we still feeling the austerity measures imposed by the EU. But Ireland's government has this mentality that if Dublin is fine then the other 27 counties must be grand as well. Truth is we are not.

True enough regarding Iceland but the idea that it no longer wants to join the great European family is telling in itself.

Quick Reply