The Student Room Group

Help Should i leave my job

Hello

I have a bit of a dilemma, i am 22 and i am working full time in an office but im conflicted between staying in work or going full time to university. i attempted to do part time open uni but due to work i was unable to get it done as work was too demanding. so i was unable to finish it. The issue i have is that i am in a very well paid job for my age (26k) due to being at the same place for 5 years and if i was to go to uni i would have to move out of living on my own and sell most of my stuff and downsize or move to my mums.
on the flip side i don't hate my job i just feel unfulfilled (it is a challenging job just not in what i want or think i want) everyday is becoming more difficult to drag myself there and the work hours are ruining my social life

im up for any advice and thanks in advance to everyone who posts :smile:
So what is it that you think you want? What what you study at university?

Is there a way you could change your job without having to go to university? what transferable skills/knowledge have you got to take with you from your current job?
Original post by Smile88egc
So what is it that you think you want? What what you study at university?

Is there a way you could change your job without having to go to university? what transferable skills/knowledge have you got to take with you from your current job?

i would like to study the sciences like physics and im unsure what i want at the moment ive been indecisive for past few years putting it off going to university

i could get a new job, i used to have less well paid job that was less challenging but after a while i just began to fell unfulfilled again.

i have a lot of experience and knowledge of computer systems that i could take with me so that isnt an issue
I'd say that university is a great idea if you have a clear focus of what you want to study there, and how this will help you in a future career.

Have you done any research about what jobs you could go into with a physics degree? Do some work experience and find out what careers are like for science graduates.

If you want to go to uni just for the sake of going, then it's basically a pretty expensive hobby. There are so many graduates in careers completely irrelevant to their degree, but they still have to pay a couple of hundred quid off their loan for the next 20 years.

Most people change their jobs loads of times over the course of their lives, don't give up because you've not found the right one just yet. If you really are set on going to uni then you could try going to a couple of open days for science courses to see what you might be in for. You can often talk to current students too, which might be helpful.

Good luck!
Original post by Smile88egc
I'd say that university is a great idea if you have a clear focus of what you want to study there, and how this will help you in a future career.

Have you done any research about what jobs you could go into with a physics degree? Do some work experience and find out what careers are like for science graduates.

If you want to go to uni just for the sake of going, then it's basically a pretty expensive hobby. There are so many graduates in careers completely irrelevant to their degree, but they still have to pay a couple of hundred quid off their loan for the next 20 years.

Most people change their jobs loads of times over the course of their lives, don't give up because you've not found the right one just yet. If you really are set on going to uni then you could try going to a couple of open days for science courses to see what you might be in for. You can often talk to current students too, which might be helpful.

Good luck!

thanks, i will look into jobs in that area, and i think im just unsure what i want and i will go to university and make sure that it is what i want before i make any decisions and thanks for the advise ill look into open days and see what courses are around.

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending