The Student Room Group

Year 9 thread - tips & advice

hi

i am currently in year 9 (14 years old)
I want to know if i should start revising for gcse and stuff and what i should do to get good grades and if you guys have any tips

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
GCSEs are absolutely nothing, I revised for all my exams the night before and i got 4A*s 6As 1B so I'd say just start in year 11, don't stress out for gcses, have fun. Better fix up for A levels though ahah
Heya,
No, I wouldn't start revising yet, not until you actually have exams coming up. Just enjoy having the free time for now.
Good luck when your time comes :-)
year 9 is waaaaay too early to start revising, you haven't even learnt any of the content yet! Year 9 is the last super easy year you have so enjoy it whilst it lasts
Nooo, please don't stress out and start revising now! If you're feeling really motivated, you could do very light reading on the kind of subjects you might be looking into taking next year, though. Nothing too difficult. Relax and enjoy your year. :biggrin:
To reiterate past comments, DO NOT start stressing yourself now! Use Year 9 to cherish the little time you have left prior to two years of GCSEs. After all, this will probably be the last year in which you can procrastinate without any sort of guilt bubbling up inside of you for doing so :P
Advice from a second year uni student.

Don't worry. Don't panic. Year 9 will be the best year of your school life, follower by year 10. It doesn't get any better. You have no stress, no vital exams, no worry about university housing or cooking. Enjoy it. Take the piss and mess about with your friends during class, talk.

Im not saying be 'bad', but your teachers will bang on about how important year 9 is, prepping for gcses when in reality year 9 in the grand scheme of things is meaningless. Work for exams that get you in a good set for GCSE to get good grades. But christ almighty dont worry about revising for your GCSES yet. Honestly, enjoy it, year 9 looking back was the most fun year of my school life. Don't waste it panicking over exams and stressing over things that are completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.
Oh how I miss year 9:frown:
Im 14 (in year 10) and I haven't started revising haha because you don't even learn any of the content in year 9 so how are you able to revise haha. I've been in year 10 since September and we have barely finished the first section of our Gcses (Biology 1 for example out of 3) Most people don't revise until like December maybe a bit before in Year 11 for their mocks and continue revising straight after them.

As I'm in year 10 we only ever have tests and stuff so there's no need to revise just make sure that you completely understand everything you do because if you have a terrible memory (like me) it's soooo hard to remember things from even a few weeks ago yet alone months, so I'd take notes after you finish a topic and just do a few key ideas!
Plus, you only really have a few controlled assessments and its easy to get an A/A* especially as you don't really have to revise (e.g in english ca) and year 10's pretty easy so far, just take notes, which is so boring but so useful... (this is what ive been told from someone that got A*AA in A level and straight A* obviously as I have yet to do my gcses aha)

Just enjoy the best of year 9 and don't worry too much!!!!! :smile:
Reply 9
No need to start revising now.

At the ABSOLUTE earliest imo, maybe do an hour here and there a week at the start of year 11.

Start revising now you'll burn yourself out and come the real things will be completely demotivated
I'm in year 11 (GCSEs this summer), and I guess it depends on what you're aiming for. If you're heading for straight A*, then regular revision will make it sooooo much easier.. (I wish I did!). Maybe just reading through the notes you made in class, or a revision guide or whatever, no need for hardcore revision. And yeah, year 9 is a good year, enjoy it, don't even think about stressing now!
Apparently though (but don't quote me on this) GCSEs are going to be considered more important, since most A levels are going linear, so basically the only solid grades unis have to look at are your GCSEs. :/
Original post by ExplodingStarsss
hi

I want to know if i should start revising for gcse and stuff and what i should do to get good grades and if you guys have any tips

Thanks

Hi i would highly recommend you start revising now because the specification for year 9 have completely changed my maths teacher showed our class a sample of it and we were so surprised the questions are so different from our specification:confused::confused:. My maths teacher told us that the smartest math student in our year, if they were to do this exam they will only get a C. My advice is don't stress make sure your up to date with work. I'm currently in year 11 thankfully our specification is the same but i wish i was up to date with my homework and classwork. I don't think the people who commented are aware that ur specifications have changed, that's why there probably telling you don't need to worry. However, the government has decided to make life difficult for the year 9s and the year to come so when you guys do your GCSES its going to be very different from the rest of us. Luckily im in year 11 so i don't have to go through the new specification (Y10 are also doing the old specification). My advice is work hard but don't stress you have a lot of time to prepare just don't leave things last minute.
(edited 9 years ago)
Due to the changes in GCSEs are schools not putting students in for early GCSEs anymore?I had already sat 2 GCSE exams at this point in Y9(January exams existed back then though) and sat five(resitting those two I sat in January) in the following June gaining one full GCSE and made a start to 3 other GCSEs.You would think schools would put pupils in for more exams early to lower the ridiculous amount of exams pupils will now get in Y11.
(edited 9 years ago)
Most important hing i can tell you is Revice now for the SAT's as that will give you a good grownding for gCSE's also if you have any teachers that don't teach (we had one that stat theback of the class fifling his nales and made us go through a book then mark our own work is SILACE every lesson) and i man really don't teach complane to the head and ask to be moved failing that e-male the govener and if that doesnot work just stop going to his lessons don't just lay back and take it like I did.
hi

Thanks

Hi there,

That is a really good question - I would say start revising for your SAT's and do a bit more prep before you go in to Year 10 after choosing your options.

If your interested in gaining career advice be sure to check out our website www.ratemyapprenticeship.co.uk that has a ton of useful information for those at school/school leavers.

Good luck,

Amit
hi

Thanks

No, it's very early at this point. You haven't even started your courses yet :h:

I would recommend just keeping on top of your work and making sure you understand everything, ask your teachers! Also do your best in controlled assessments, courseworks and topic tests. And if you really really want to, maybe find out a bit about the subjects you're doing like another user said. But apart from that, enjoy it while you're stress/exam free :smile:

I'm at the end of Year 11 and GCSEs and so telling you this from my experiencemistakes/regrets. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Just enjoy your life, at ths stage.

When you hit A levels is when the real work starts.
I am now in year 10, and I didn't revise last year. I mean, I did pay attention in class and do homework and get good grades and stuff, but I never made GCSE notes, and I'm really regretting it now, because I'm having to make notes from last year and this year at the same time.

You don't need to 'revise' as in read over notes and memorize facts, but definitely make notes and make sure you understand everything you are doing in class.

I would suggest making notes at the end of each day because then you have them ready for end of topic tests, end of years and later GCSEs, so it's wayyy less stressful and you can just learn it.Trust me, you will feel so glad you did it when everyone else is stressing about making notes at the last minute.

Good luck!

Please do make notes because I regret it so much that I didn't....like more than anything else I regret...
Hey I'm in Year 9 right now and we've started learning some of the stuff for the reformed GCSEs (i think you're doing them as well?) but honestly the only thing you need to be stressing about is what options you are gonna choose. As everybody else has probably said, this year is the last year before you actually have to sit down and do proper stuff, so enjoy it while you can xx

also with the revision thing, im just making notes for end of term assessments and stuff so i can look over them thoroughly at the end, but the proper revision would be best from year 11 i'd think but it really depends on the person. Also, i've heard that actually revising for your mocks really helps because all the info is in your head so it's good. But please don't stress xx
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Hi!
A little bit of maths revision and some prep for the little assessments you do wouldn't hurt, but there's no point revising for GCSEs because the GCSE course is completely different to the KS3 one. Also, revising too early doesn't help because you'll burn out/forget it. My advice is to start revising when you're in the GCSE course.

Quick Reply

Latest