The Student Room Group

Is Necromancing Illegal On TSR?

I.e. Knocking up really old threads?
Seems to result in a telling off and locking of the thread...
If it's so awful they should just automatically lock threads after some suitable period of disuse or flag it so that it gives a user a warning that they're about to raise the dead.

I'd prefer to celebrate the art of the necromancer and award a badge/achievement for it.
Original post by HarryDn
I.e. Knocking up really old threads?

What's the problem with it?
no I have a friend who works on the Lazarus Project.
Original post by Joinedup
Seems to result in a telling off and locking of the thread...
If it's so awful they should just automatically lock threads after some suitable period of disuse or flag it so that it gives a user a warning that they're about to raise the dead.

I'd prefer to celebrate the art of the necromancer and award a badge/achievement for it.

I don't see what's so bad about bumping old threads either. It is funny when someone joins up and their first post is on a 5 year old thread about something incredibly obscure, though.
The problem is that usually the content of the thread is no longer current, and so you get people replying to posts that are months or years out of date and now irrelevant.
Reply 6
If it's so awful they should just automatically lock threads after some suitable period of disuse
I hate it when fora do that. I have just been researching a long-standing grizzle with the Thunderbird email program and wanted to post a query to the only thread about it I can find, which was locked in 2012 by the moderator because "this is an old problem and must have been fixed by now". :mad:

It was also annoying when I was driving an old car; many of the discussions about it were long since locked but I was still experiencing the issues and finding new workarounds and probably not alone.

or flag it so that it gives a user a warning that they're about to raise the dead.
I have never seen a forum do that and I think that's a jolly good idea.
Original post by Simes
I hate it when fora do that. I have just been researching a long-standing grizzle with the Thunderbird email program and wanted to post a query to the only thread about it I can find, which was locked in 2012 by the moderator because "this is an old problem and must have been fixed by now". :mad:

It was also annoying when I was driving an old car; many of the discussions about it were long since locked but I was still experiencing the issues and finding new workarounds and probably not alone.

I have never seen a forum do that and I think that's a jolly good idea.

Me neither, but here's one that gives you a badge for necromancy...

http://discuss.codechef.com/badges/
Original post by Precious Illusions
It is funny when someone joins up and their first post is on a 5 year old thread about something incredibly obscure, though.

There are times when I think to myself "what in god's name were you searching for when you found this thread".
Original post by RFowler
There are times when I think to myself "what in god's name were you searching for when you found this thread".

:lol: This for sure!
Original post by Precious Illusions
It is funny when someone joins up and their first post is on a 5 year old thread about something incredibly obscure, though.

Original post by mikeyd85
:lol: This for sure!

Didn't take me long to see an example of this in action.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1171830
Sometimes I agree this results in strange conversations with people who are no longer even around on TSR - the funniest example I saw was someone asking about travel problems on London Underground due to a strike - in 2010 - being answered by someone in relation to a new strike - in 2013! :lol:

However, it is a bit annoying at times as some threads can be very specifically about the thing you are interested in and only that.

The obvious answer is to have a warning that pops up when you post in an old thread, say, more than 6 months or a year old.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending