The Student Room Group

Life is hard when you are a privately-educated Oxbridge grad from the South East

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/15/oscars-white-men-hollywood-women?commentpage=1

Why does the Guardian pay for this drivel?

A quick glance of Bidisha's CV demonstrates that she is far from unprivileged.

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, but there's a world of difference between how the world perceives an old-Etonian white guy type, and a person with brown skin. See: "revenge attacks" on Muslims since Charlie Hebdo, Ferguson, Pegida...
> World class education
> Everything in life.
> Published 3 books.
> Privileged.

Writes articles such as:

The Oscars celebrates white men. What about the rest of us?

Is misogyny worse now than before the internet?

Was the Downton Abbey rape scene acceptable TV?

The 10 best books about women

Sexism and misogyny: what's the difference?

Ah, you can smell the feminism from here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SamKeene
> World class education
> Everything in life.
> Published 3 books.
> Privileged.

Writes articles such as:

Ah, you can smell the feminism from here.

What's wrong with writing about those things?
Original post by молодой гений
What's wrong with writing about those things?

I wouldn't say it was morally wrong. But it serves in highlighting the obvious hilarity of a person who has everything in life now writing 'pop feminism' on par with pseudo-intellectuals like Sarkeesian and Valenti and a dozen other 'Journalists'.

They have no real issues in their own lives, and they don't touch real problems women face in religion, middle east and other countries - so they stick to their little 1st world throne and invent a non-issue like the representation of non-white-males at the Oscars.
Reply 5
Yeah, but there's a world of difference between how the world perceives an old-Etonian white guy type, and a person with brown skin. See: "revenge attacks" on Muslims since Charlie Hebdo, Ferguson, Pegida...

Hmm. Well for one thing, she is about as brown as I am after a few weeks in Andalusia (literally). Secondly, compared to the majority of straight white men in this country she is MUCH better off. People on benefits in this country are in the top 3% globally. Go figure.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
I wouldn't say it was morally wrong. But it serves in highlighting the obvious hilarity of a person who has everything in life now writing 'pop feminism' on par with pseudo-intellectuals like Sarkeesian and Valenti and a dozen other 'Journalists'.

They have no real issues in their own lives, and they don't touch real problems women face in religion, middle east and other countries - so they stick to their little 1st world throne and invent a non-issue like the representation of non-white-males at the Oscars.

Absolutely laughable. Jolie is an untalented nepotist yet because she is a woman, the fact that she isn't lauded left and right is a sign of misogyny.
Maybe she should write something other than trash if she wants recognition.
Reply 8
"The Oscar statuette is a gilded white man holding a sword " are they sure? Hard to tell skin tone under all the gold...
Reply 9
Original post by lucaf
"The Oscar statuette is a gilded white man holding a sword " are they sure? Hard to tell skin tone under all the gold...

POC-vision allows her to spot intruding privileged beings into her safe space
(edited 9 years ago)

Women in these countries have issues too, just like LGBT people have issues in the UK as well as in Saudi Arabia.

Sarkeesian is actually quite decent. Jessica Valenti irritates me a bit, but then again, my solution is just to not read her.

But yeah, I mean, pop feminism has its place in life. It's a topic like any other. If it annoys you, don't read it.
"The Oscar statuette is a gilded white man holding a sword"

Lol the bitch is crazy
"The Oscar statuette is a gilded white man holding a sword" - surely it's a gold man no?

It's more telling that she is superimposing her own view of 'well of course this is a white man because we live in a racist society' as then being evidednce of racist intent etc. it's a lovely case of circular reasoning, and you're telling me this girl went to Oxford?
The Grauniad's CiF section is just Tumblr for fully-fledged feminists. The newspaper purposefully pick writers who are neither intelligent nor skillful enough for an actual position, yet are controversial enough to bring in views and comments, which is why people like Bidisha and JV get regular columns.
I'm white and I'm a man have you got a ****ing problem with that?
Original post by limetang
"The Oscar statuette is a gilded white man holding a sword" - surely it's a gold man no?

It's more telling that she is superimposing her own view of 'well of course this is a white man because we live in a racist society' as then being evidednce of racist intent etc. it's a lovely case of circular reasoning, and you're telling me this girl went to Oxford?

jeez it becomes ridiculous when you are trying to ascertain the race of a statue
Does she have twitter.
Women in these countries have issues too, just like LGBT people have issues in the UK as well as in Saudi Arabia.

But yeah, I mean, pop feminism has its place in life. It's a topic like any other. If it annoys you, don't read it.

I do read it because I don't like to criticize something without having understood it. Why do I even feel the need to criticize it? I guess I think Pop Feminism, and the issues it dresses up are superficial non-issues. And it's damaging to take these non-issues, label them under some anthropological concept like 'patriarchy' - which doesn't even exist in the societies these feminists live in, and then use terrible rhetorical tactics to elevate it into an issue to rally around.

It might have a place in society, but not in any place of society which is logical, intelligent or reasonable.

Sarkeesian is actually quite decent. Jessica Valenti irritates me a bit, but then again, my solution is just to not read her..

I really dislike Sarkeesian. She has done a good job of becoming a professional victim and making a circle-jerk against anyone who attacks her. She's lied in her videos. She's stolen other peoples work, never playing the games she 'reviews'. She misrepresents the games (see: Hitman). She pretends to be a gamer when caught on video saying she isn't. She's previously done shady stuff like advocate a pyramid scheme. She comes to ridiculous conclusions using circular logic and fallacious thinking.

I could go on, I admit it's a pet peeve of mine that someone so dishonest had made so much money of pretending to be a victim.

As for Valenti... I read her book because I wanted to understand her better... after the many spelling errors and terrible sourced claims... yeah. That was a struggle.
The irritating thing about these kinds of columns is that you have no control over your class background; like your race or sexuality, it is something over which you have no control.

Equally, no-one should be considered blameworthy for having accepted an offer from Oxford or Cambridge

Finally, I am beginning to find anti-London / anti-South East sentiment tiresome. The South East is the engine room of the economy, and people who live there make sacrifices in terms of house prices an the like in order to benefit from the concomitant opportunities. And the way some English/Scots act as if being a Londoner means you're not living real Britain (​whatever that means), as if you're not authentically British, well that is just rot.
Reply 19
Original post by young_guns
The irritating thing about these kinds of columns is that you have no control over your class background; like your race or sexuality, it is something over which you have no control.

Equally, no-one should be considered blameworthy for having accepted an offer from Oxford or Cambridge

Finally, I am beginning to find anti-London / anti-South East sentiment tiresome. The South East is the engine room of the economy, and people who live there make sacrifices in terms of house prices an the like in order to benefit from the concomitant opportunities. And the way some English/Scots act as if being a Londoner means you're not living real Britain (​whatever that means), as if you're not authentically British, well that is just rot.

Nothing against Oxbridge or London, but I find these 'check your privilege' types tiresome when they are from London and hold a Cambridge first in classics. Yet because they are the same shade as a white person standing in a shadow, and have a vagina, suddenly they earn the right to soapbox to the privileged types living in council housing in Yorkshire and Lancashire.

The only reason the south east is the engine room, is because the north and the midlands has had all of its economic power undermined by successive London governments.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending